• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ability Score Generation

What method of ability score generation do you use?

• 3d6

Votes: 5 0.9%
  • 4d6 - discard low roll

Votes: 251 46.7%
  • 5d6- discard 2 low rolls

Votes: 16 3.0%
  • point buy

Votes: 195 36.2%
  • other - please explain

Votes: 71 13.2%

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
epochrpg said:
I know the problem you are thinking: what about odd numbered ability scores? It is easy, and odd number counts as an extra 1/2 plus over the number below it. So an ability score of 11 is actually worth 1/2 a plus.

Our group uses almost precisely this same idea, except instead of treating odd results as a 'half plus', we simply allow only two scores to be odd numbers.

I'm considering allowing an option for the next game I run, though - either total plus buy with a +7 total, or allow players to roll their own stats but apply their total plus against the following table to determine their 'stat LA':

+1 to +4 -1
+5 to +7 0
+8 to +11 +1
+12 to +15 +2
+16 and above +3

For more on how this system evolved, check out the following thread on the WotC boards.

--
Pauper

Chupacabra

First Post
4d6, reroll all 1's and drop the lowest.
Arrange to taste.
Throw the whole mess out if there aren't at least 2 +2 scores.
I like for my player's to have characters that can actually DO something at first level, so decent bonuses are welcome.

Storminator

First Post
Gnimish88 said:
True, but most of the flaws they had would be considered role-playing, such as arrogance or pride, not stats. I suppose one could argue that it showed low wisdom on Odysseus's part to taunt the son of Posiden after blinding him, but if you follow that route, then most classic heros seem to use wisdom as their dump stat... ;-)
Playing a WIS dump PC is so much fun tho! I have a 25th level PC with an 8 WIS. Not only is he a blast, the party is terrified he'll be Dominated. :cool: We've had encounters where the spell casters load up with no less than 6 Break Enchantments, including one quickened.

But to actually contribute to the thread, I use 4d6 drop low, arrange. One roll only. If you don't like your PC, use point buy with 24+1d8 points.

PS

Creamsteak

Explorer
I tend to use 32 point buy. It's my favorite. When I don't use that, I go for 4d6 drop one. I use the rolling method with new groups, and when I have at least 50% players that don't know the basics. When I really really know I can trust the players, or the game doesn't depend so much on the dice (RP oriented), we use Laissez Faire (Let them pick their stats).

We use two methods, modified with the clause that you must get at least a total bonus of +1.

4D6, place as you please...

or

D20 down the line.

Roll both, pick whichever you like.
Almost always get a 1 and a 20. Some damn memorable characters.

Bran Blackbyrd

Explorer
I invented this one afternoon. I was playing around with different stat rolling methods on a lark and this is what it resulted in.

Roll 4d6 7 times dropping the low die each time and dropping the lowest score.
Always reroll 1s.
You may reroll 2s, if two or more of them are rolled.
You may reroll 3s, if three or more of them are rolled.
You may reroll 4s if four or more of them are rolled.
You may reroll all the dice if you get a straight. (IE. 3,4,5,6 or 2,3,4,5 etc.)
If you roll identically with two consecutive rolls, the scores from the two rolls can be traded for an 18 and the lost score is rerolled. This applies only to the final numbers and not what they were before certain numbers get rerolled. It can also apply when you roll a straight, identical to the straight you are rerolling.

So if you rolled 6, 3, 3, 3 you would keep the 6 and reroll all the 3s.

It's a silly way to roll scores, but can be fun... The worst you can get is a 10, I think, unless one of your dice spontaneously combusts. I don't think I'd use this for a serious campaign unless you want the PCs to be pretty scary.

Of course, if you let your players use this, you can use it for the NPCs too... :]

Spud

First Post
Point buy, 28 points plus 2d4.
We feel this gives us all around the same abilities but not exactly the same.
Although one of the players insisted on 4d6 drop the lowest until he saw how under powered he was compared to the rest of the PC's (he did admittedly have some poor rolls). He now starts with 4d6 to give him a character concept and modifies it with point buy.

DonAdam

Explorer
I've found that KDLadage's method is the best (though I use an older version with a 1 and a 7 and one less 2 and 6). I like that it's random, but when you draw a low stat you will be rewarded with higher stats later on and vice versa.

It works out especially well when you give 1 point on the point buy scale at every experience level instead of 1 flat point every 4 levels.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads