D&D 5E About the artwork...

Daëgoros

Villager
Well, the art world obviously accepted it as art, thus it is art. The end. An internet opinion of some uneducated philistine that doesn't know what avant-garde is really doesn't matter one bit.
Without calling out the flaws of relativism, that statement, taken by itself, is also wrong. After all, this isn't Theros.
Thought doesn't influence reality. Did you ever learn this?
You aren't four years old. You can tell the difference, mentally, between what's real and what's imaginary. Yet you refuse to!
When you can't tell the difference between what's real and what's imaginary, you believe anything you're told. And you believe it, because it fits your preconceived narrative. you take it, hook, line, and sinker.
Amazing how the very definition of art leads to such important problems.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Only if it has a meaning. Representing something.
Says who?
That's why (most) abstract art is terrible.
That’s a subjective judgment. There are many who disagree. How would you refute them?
Humans are made for order, and random specks of nothingness is stressingly ugly.
🤣🤣🤣
I do like Japanese symbols though. And things that use color in a beautiful way.
How are you defining “beautiful” in this context?
That brings me to the next point.
If something isn't good (morally), true, or beautiful, it isn't art. Say it or not, like it or not.
In order for this argument to have any validity, you’d first have to define “morally good” and “beautiful.” Good luck with that. I can assume that by “true” you mean factual, and you’ll also have quite a job demonstrating that this is a necessary quality of art. I would say conventional scholarship would suggest quite the opposite; most art expresses the artist’s imagination rather than simply recounting facts.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I was just thinking....what is happening?!
My wife was reading over my shoulder and asking if this person was okay. Meanwhile I was thinking about every art and philosophy class I've ever taken and that one guy, you know the one I'm sure, who always disrupts class in precisely this way because he is convinced that he is by far the smartest person in the room.

Hopefully he won't start talking about the nature of The Real, and/or his pet criticism of Plato.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
My wife was reading over my shoulder and asking if this person was okay. Meanwhile I was thinking about every art and philosophy class I've ever taken and that one guy, you know the one I'm sure, who always disrupts class in precisely this way because he is convinced that he is by far the smartest person in the room.

Hopefully he won't start talking about the nature of The Real, and/or his pet criticism of Plato.
Yeah I think most folks have meat That Guy at least once. He’ll never admit it, but That Guy is just deeply existentially terrified by the concept of subjectivity.

Green Onceler

Explorer
I don't buy many 5e products but most of the cover art, including Tasha's, I find really tepid. Of course, it's incredibly well done, but it doesn't excite me at all.

One exception would be the Ghosts of Saltmarsh cover, which I'm pretty fond of.

I noticed when I was flipping through the Art and Arcana book, the later art just seems to lack any charm to me. The early stuff is really goofy, but very endearing. The mid period is much better and I generally like. The latter stuff is very proficient, but it just seems boring to me. I'm not sure why exactly.

Remove ads