Aburant Champion

kayn99

First Post
I have a player in the current party that is looking at this PrC. He would like to change it over to being a priest PrC. I guess it says in the adaption section that it could be changed over with some work. So I was wondering what would you guys do to change this class over?

Kayn

TYPO5478

First Post
The first thing I'd do is specify that mage armor is affected by the abilities granted by this class. Apparently, when they were creating that PrC, no one realized that mage armor is a conjuration spell and not an abjuration spell.

Anguirus

First Post
I think first and foremost you'd have to change it to based on shield of faith, rather than shield. But I think shield of faith is still abjuration, so that works. The very fact that clerics get tons of armor anyway will make the character a hell of tank, so what the class really amounts to is a better-protected, slightly better-hitting, and better-dispelling cleric.

Alpha Polaris

First Post
TYPO5478 said:
The first thing I'd do is specify that mage armor is affected by the abilities granted by this class. Apparently, when they were creating that PrC, no one realized that mage armor is a conjuration spell and not an abjuration spell.

Clerics cannot cast mage armor (except with the Force Domain, I think).

UltimaGabe

First Post
TYPO5478 said:

They also didn't inform the artist that the abjurant champion specifically does not wear armor or a shield. (In the picture, the abjurant champion is obviously wearing armor AND a shield.)

Poorly made class, imho.

kayn99

First Post
I realized all the problems with the class and I thought that them being better armored cleric would be too powerful over all. I wanted to make it for a cleric that does not have armor. I would customize the cleric coming into the class. I think all of the abilties and having the cleric be fully armored would be too much.

Kayn

UltimaGabe said:
They also didn't inform the artist that the abjurant champion specifically does not wear armor or a shield. (In the picture, the abjurant champion is obviously wearing armor AND a shield.)

Poorly made class, imho.

Nor do they have mustaches!

Nifft

Penguin Herder
IMHO, Abj. Champ is too strong for a Cleric PrC. The full BAB and good HD are only balanced by the expectation of not being able to wear armor. Also, the fact that you must waste a level or a feat to gain proficiency with a martial weapon. Clerics can get this free with the War domain.

Clerics have much less trouble meeting the BAB prereq, and Clerics can cast in armor -- so they lose much less by taking a level or two of Fighter or Barbarian.

-- N

kayn99

First Post
Nifft said:
IMHO, Abj. Champ is too strong for a Cleric PrC. The full BAB and good HD are only balanced by the expectation of not being able to wear armor. Also, the fact that you must waste a level or a feat to gain proficiency with a martial weapon. Clerics can get this free with the War domain.

Clerics have much less trouble meeting the BAB prereq, and Clerics can cast in armor -- so they lose much less by taking a level or two of Fighter or Barbarian.

-- N

I agree with what you said and I am trying to work in the cleric variant in the Unearth arcana, or another cleric variant. I do not want the cleric to have the armor feats so I am trying to find a way to replace them. I need to give the player some thing in return.

Kayn

Votan

Explorer
Nifft said:

-- N

True, but they also get less upon entry to the class as far as I can tell. The hit die bump is small and full BAB, while not bad, isn't as important to a cleric as a Fighter-mage (as they cleric can cast Divine Power to boost his BAB to his hit die very easily). It also takes away a vauable feat and invests it very poorly (combat casting anybody???).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases