• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

AC sponge

majustismp15

First Post
I'm looking for a manuever or feat that allows a character to essentially jump infront of an attack made on another character.
I'm Playing a paladin, with my schtick being a protector. I was wonder if there is a feat/maneuver/class ability/ whatever that can make it so that my paladin can take blows intended for his teammates... for example, Paladin is within 5 ft of Wizard. Wizard is being attacked by a nasty bad guy. Paladin feels compelled to act as a meat shield as a reaction (as opposed to the goad ability).
If any of you know of any thing like this, or want to submit your skills for making awesome feats, I would appreciate it a lot.
Thanks in advance,
-Majustismp15

Ilium

First Post
The Knight class has this as a class ability, but I think it's lame. You don't get it until fairly high level, and then it's only half the damage. Later you can take all the damage.

I'd definitely allow this as a feat. Something like:

Active Defender
Your concern for your allies allows you to react quickly to attacks against them.
Requirements: Combat Reflexes
Benefit:When a foe attacks an ally within 5 feet of you with a melee or ranged attack, you may enter the ally's space as an immediate action. The ally must be willing, and you will both lose your dex bonus to AC until you no longer share a space. The attack is then resolved against you rather than your ally.
Special: A fighter may select Active Defender as one of his fighter bonus feats.

This could be abused to get an extra 5 feet of movement, I suppose, but I'd allow something like it.

Christian

Explorer
Unkabear said:
There is one in the PHB II, But without the book and off hand I can't remember the name.

Don't see it on a glance through the feat list. There's Fade Into Violence, which is kind of the converse--a successful Bluff check causes an enemy intending to attack you to attack an adjacent ally instead. But I don't see one like the OP is describing ...

Unkabear

First Post
I think I might have been thinking about the one that lets you aid another...Or I could have imagined the whole thing.

Storyteller01

First Post
MGP has a feat that allows you to switch places with an ally. Doesn't reduce damage, but it allows you to get someone out of harms way on your turn.

two

First Post
The Devoted Defender PRC has this as a first level ability.

You switch places with your ally who is getting attacked.

starwed

First Post
There's a maneuver in 9swords which allows this. You make an "AC check" (1d20 + your AC) against an opponents attack roll. If you succeed, then you get hit instead of your friend. (Even if your AC would have otherwise stopped the attack.)

The crusader, who has access to this maneuver, is especially good at protecting her allies.

Remove ads