• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Academy of Drell, Part II

Zhure

First Post
As you gather in the library about dusk of the same day, each pursuing your own activities.

Before laying down for another nap, Yodwin the Blue apparently covered most of the everburning torches with small paper bags, further muting the light inside the scriptorium. The sun has almost set behind the western shores of Drell, a few wispy clouds chase each other about, scurrying to the edge of the sky before the final light of day is extinguished.

No other students or faculty are inside, at least as far as you can tell. The same architectural features that make the library so pleasant to read in also tend to make it drafty and cold after dark.

In the distance you can see a few lights from the cafeteria building. Whatever the cooks are preparing for the evening meal smells sweet and delicious, with a baked coppery odor. A few other students can be seen outside the dining hall, playing a lute, laughing and clumsily dancing.

For a brief moment the last glimmer of the setting sun shines on the crystal kiosk of the library... and all is plunged into darkness.

At first it seems a natural reaction to the lack of sunlight, but even the everburning torches seem extinguished.

Normal vision = 5 feet; Low light vision gives sight to 10 feet; darkvision as per normal.

Psicrystals' "sighted" ability is unaffected.

Next activity in less than ten minutes game time.

Last edited:

evileeyore

Mrrrph
Kith in the stacks

Kith freezes. He was five feet from a sleeping Turin, crouch-walking across the top of a shelf, carefully avoiding the books. Now he is crouching, blind, not sure where everything is.

Slowly his eyes adjust, and he realizes he's not blind, its just really dark. Movement from below gets his attention. He carefully leans over and spies Sildarin pressing up against the stacks below him.

“Psst, hey you. No up here,” Kith whispers.

Sildarin looks up, somewhat startled.

“What in the Nine Powers is going on? Wait I’ll come down to talk.”

Climb skill 5, I’ll take my time to be quiet and cautious.

Kith gathers up the now tense ferret. Just calm down it’ll be okay

What do you mean calm down, I am bite sized to the Powers-That-Crawl-By-Night

And I’m not? You’ve got more chance of going unnoticed than me, little buddy

Kith reaches the floor, and moves next to Sildarin. He holds out his hand and says quietly, “Hi, call me Kith, no-time-for-formal-introductions, I-haven’t-seen-you-around-much, you-live-in-the-Library-or-something?”

Last edited:

poilbrun

Explorer
How the hell am I suppose to read in such a darkness?

"Could someone who's near a torch try to lift a paper bag to see if at least one torch still functions properly... Thanks!"

Well, better to do everything myself.

Maerath takes a copper piece from his belt pouch begins and begins chanting the words of magic.

Trying to cast Light

novyet

First Post
"Actually yes, anya can be a little bit commanding when it comes to socializing, but she's good with that sort of thing."
Hmph

"Hey why'd it get so dark all of a sudden? I can't really see anything in here at all! Rallyn can you help me find one of those torches on the wall? I think Yodwin covered most of them to mute the light in here. Probably so he could sleep for a while."

I guess we'll be even further behind in studying today, sigh.

Last edited:

Tokiwong

First Post
Perhaps I should wake her... it is getting late...

Keith stands and looks around... gazing about the darkness....

I don't like this... seems odd in a way maybe I am just paranoid... maybe not...

Jeremy

Explorer
Rallyn Loddry

Rallyn attempts to use his childhood trick to summon 4 lantern-like lights to swirl around him and light the darkness so that he can lead Ellie first to a continual flame torch and then out into the moonlight should the torch proove unhelpful.

Rallyn casts dancing lights as a spell-like ability.

Rallyn switches into guard mode as he forcibly takes hold of his emotions and buries them, leaving himself alert but calm as he goes to work.

Zhure

First Post
DANG it's dark!

Maerath reaches into his belt pouch and starts to cast a light spell. The magic swirls around for a moment, dissolving the coin, a light appears and fizzles out, giving a brief flare of light before it is extinguished.

At the distant periphery of the edge of the flash of light, shadowy shapes can be dimly seen cavorting in inhuman poses before the magic is snuffed out and they are no longer visible.

Rallyn Your dancing lights, like Maerath's cantrip flashes the scriptorium with light, revealing oddly twisted human shapes in the brief instant the light lasts before it too is engulfed by some sort of magic making the dancing lights cease to function.

initiatives, please

Jeremy

Explorer
Rallyn Loddry

Rallyn whispers low, "Ellie, get under the table please," before his voice becomes a projected yell..

NOTE: Question posted in OOC thread.

"TO ARMS! WE ARE UNDER ATTACK!"

Initative = 7 (7 roll + 0 modifier)

Last edited:

evileeyore

Mrrrph
Kith and Sildarin in the Dark

Kith begins to creep off towards the end of the stack. He glances around and notices Sildarin standing still. He goes back and shakes him.

“Come on no time for inner monologues man.” He says quietly, “Besides, if we stick together than I don’t have to outrun the monsters, just you.”

Kith takes the lead, “And for our sakes please try to be inconspicous.”

I’ll be trying to make Sildarin Hide as much as possible… Unless he’s got other ideas…

Initiative= 17 (roll 10+ bonus 7), Hide 16 (roll 9+ bonus 7), Move Silently 18 (roll 11+ bonus 7)… almost as good as taking 10…

They begin to creep back to the other students…

novyet

First Post
In the flash of lights ellie sees the indistinct shadows of something. Whatever it is, it can't be good.

"Be careful Rallyn, this doesn't bode well at all...."
OOC Initiative = 9 (Roll of 8 +1 (Dex))

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads