• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Access to Ability Boosting Items in your game

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Hi everyone,

Based on the DM's Basic Rules PDF, there are at least three items in the game that set one of your ability scores to 19: Amulet of Health (Constitution), Gauntlets of Ogre Power (Strength), and the Headband of Intellect (Intelligence). The concern has been raised that these items will encourage atypical character building choices - that is, a Fighter could put a low score in Strength, boost Dexterity for the ranged attacks and initiative, and then put on the Gauntlets to function more effectively than a straight Strength-based Fighter. I'm curious how you (a nonrandom sample of 5E DMs) plan to handle these items in your game, and how easy it would be for a character to gain access to one of those items.

I'm not sure how to add a poll to a thread, so I'll list the options:

1. I don't plan on using these items in my game.
  2. One of these items might appear randomly in a treasure hoard.
  3. A PC who wanted an item like this could go on a quest for it.
  4. If I knew one of my players wanted this item, I'd place it in a treasure hoard for them to find.
  5. Common and uncommon magic items like these can be bought and sold in my game.
  6. I've got a different solution, and I'd love to tell you about it in the comments.

#2. If a player expects a particular magic item to appear in the game, he will be in for a surprise if it never does. I could maybe see using #3 so long as the quest to acquire such an item was fraught with danger and worthy of whatever the item is. #5 (for sale) never happen.

Eejit

First Post
I don't plan on using these items in my game.

At least, as-is. If they're reworked for the final DMG release (as the Bracers of Defense apparently will be) I might reconsider.

I'd prefer if they only gave a +X bonus to the ability score rather than setting it. Or maybe items that set it, but only to a much lower value than the 19 we've seen, perhaps 14 or 15.
The very strongest and rarest (e.g. Belt of Storm Giant Strength) could even give +X to Strength while also removing the limit of 20, similar to the Barbarian capstone feature.

redwizard99

First Post
The fact that these magic items can boost an ability score from 8 to 19 is just bad design in my opinion.
And I think player should be exciting when he gets a magic item even he is already at Str 20.
So, I will just change these kind of items into +2 to one ability score, maximum 22.

Elven

First Post
Hi everyone,

Based on the DM's Basic Rules PDF, there are at least three items in the game that set one of your ability scores to 19: Amulet of Health (Constitution), Gauntlets of Ogre Power (Strength), and the Headband of Intellect (Intelligence). The concern has been raised that these items will encourage atypical character building choices - that is, a Fighter could put a low score in Strength, boost Dexterity for the ranged attacks and initiative, and then put on the Gauntlets to function more effectively than a straight Strength-based Fighter. I'm curious how you (a nonrandom sample of 5E DMs) plan to handle these items in your game, and how easy it would be for a character to gain access to one of those items.

I'm not sure how to add a poll to a thread, so I'll list the options:

1. I don't plan on using these items in my game.
  2. One of these items might appear randomly in a treasure hoard.
  3. A PC who wanted an item like this could go on a quest for it.
  4. If I knew one of my players wanted this item, I'd place it in a treasure hoard for them to find.
  5. Common and uncommon magic items like these can be bought and sold in my game.
  6. I've got a different solution, and I'd love to tell you about it in the comments.

I think (and really like) that this edition is a lot less magic item based, they will be few, and far between,
I think an item that could max out a characters stats would fall under "artifact" hence rare,

(remember a +3 anything is considered like as artifact)

I would not mind if one person in the party (under 10th lvl) had such an item, and max out at only two or three at higher levels,

wedgeski

Adventurer
This notion that a PC will hobble himself during char-gen in expectation of finding a magic item to fix his "handicap" is a new one on me. In any case, although I used wish-lists in 4E (and with some success), everything in my 5E game is random (option #2 in your list).

Astrosicebear

First Post
I do see the concern in organized play because of the respec aspect... but ultimately of little concern.

Why?

3 attuned items. Do players really want to waste an attunement slot on something to boost a dump stat? Because if the fighter creates his char with 18 charisma and 9 str, just muddling through to get Gauntlets of Ogre power, they potentially die for 3-5 levels before getting what an 18 charisma/int/dex whatever they choose to dump? AND they waste a valuable attunement slot.

We haven't seen the goodies in the DMG yet. I am sure there will be 3 "must haves" for a fighter. Im sure they will be attuned to their weapon, possibly armor, and at least have 2-3 trinkets they'd like to use like boots, necklaces, etc.

Elven

First Post
Can't you see any way to exploit this,
come on, trying to exploit the rules is a common D&D past time (for many, i do not support this END OF DISCLAIMER),
Are you telling me you can't see a way?

Find stat boosting item, say a figther finds a strength item, (chance are its not to much use, he's already close to max)
Next character to die negotiates for item,
Then places his best rolls, where the booster isn't,

CapnZapp

Legend
It is an interesting discussion.

Being able to not put a high score in your primary or secondary attribute is huge.

Not as in "omg powerful" but as in "wonderful now I can make that fringe concept the rules otherwise would have made too costly"

Just one out of many examples:

The barbarian gets unarmored defense. Yet Rage means he cannot focus on Con + Dex; he simply must have a good Strength in order to use his main class ability. Heck, he needs Str 13+ just to leave the class!

Just like most other characters, you can't afford more than two good stats. And with Strength as an obligatory high attribute, a Barbarian that wants Unarmored Defense is normally hosed - it is far too costly to dump Strength in order to get a respectable AC using Dex + Con, especially since the barb can simply slap on armor and a shield and instead dump dex.

Enter "Item of Con 19" or "Item of Dex 19". Suddenly a barbarian can use Unarmored Defense the way he wants to, namely without having to sacrifice his rage. :)

Sure a Dex 19 Barb gains power compared to the Dex 10 Barb (better dex save, better init, some skills) but far more importantly, this item enables the barb to shed his armor without having to pay a ridicious price for it.

So I am overjoyed that these items trickle down even at low levels (I believe PCs could be as low as 4th level when they finish Lost Mines?)

Not to speak of how annoying it would be for a Str 16 character to put his L4 stat bump into strength only to find an Ogre Strength item... To work best, I believe you need to allow respeccing even in home games.

Astrosicebear

First Post
The Evil DM(TM) in me wants to allow this....

"Oh Gauntlets of Ogre power, awesome... nah go ahead and respect that dump stat to str... sure."

"A few sessions later gauntlets get stolen or disjoined. Oh your str is a 9? You can no longer be a barbarian... sorry.. you lose all class features. Respec? You already did? Ok bye, dont let the door hit you on the way out."

I'd never do this of course... because id never allow respecs. The character is the character.

Now if you are creating characters above 1st, and theres a magic item budget... be interesting to see how the DMG handles this.

CapnZapp

Legend
Now if you are creating characters above 1st, and theres a magic item budget... be interesting to see how the DMG handles this.
I believe the game is set up for even high level characters to begin without any magic gear. That item-less characters are expected to work "just fine". They won't shine, but they won't be hosed either. And then a few quick adventures later, they have the two or three items they most need, and everything is back to "normal" again.

But still, it's an intriguing thought you bring up. It would definitely open up many more character concepts if you could ensure a 19 in a particular attribute :)

However, do mind this would take up one of your precious three attunement slots. Only when the DMG arrives will we know the true cost of such a thing.

Personally, I suspect "losing" one of your three slots just to shore up your bordeline character concept will be a significant cost in itself. Hopefully, it will feel "just right": neither so cripplingly expensive you can't do it, but sufficiently costly that many people will still go for the streamlined PHB options to conserve that attunement slot. :)

Edit: And yes, going for a Str 8 barbarian that simply deflates whenever he loses his Gauntlets is probably a bad idea... ;) I prefer to consider builds whose "artificial" stat is a non-essential one. (A Str/Con barbarian with insta-Dex 19 could grudgingly put on armor until he can find his lost "19" item; and will still "work" even without his item)

Last edited:

Remove ads