• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Access to Ability Boosting Items in your game

Agamon

Adventurer
Belts of X Giant Strength are pretty iconic, I think it's a fairly safe assumption that they'll exist in 5E.

I'd bet the farm against that.

Nope, it's permanent. At 20 Barbarians get +4 to Str and Con and their new maximum for those is 24.

Ah, well, that's not so bad. L20 = end of campaign (assuming one ever gets there). It's okay to break the game for the final climactic BBEG fight.

Eejit

First Post
So, you actually believe there will be a way for a level 1 PC to have a 24 or 26 strength? I don't think the type of farm matters. ;)

I didn't say that, I said there will be Belts of X Giant Strength in one form or another :)

What form they'll take and what requirements they'll have are a separate matter.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
So, you actually believe there will be a way for a level 1 PC to have a 24 or 26 strength? I don't think the type of farm matters. ;)

I tend to agree with [MENTION=6780256]Eejit[/MENTION], I think a Belt of X Giant Strength will exist.

However, as to the level 1 PC having it, that would be as silly (although technically possible) as it would have been in 1st Edition, where they also existed.

Agamon

Adventurer
However, as to the level 1 PC having it, that would be as silly (although technically possible) as it would have been in 1st Edition, where they also existed.

There wasn't a stat cap in 1e. It breaks the rules even if a level 10 PC gets one.

I guess seeing as there's not going to be many, if any, supplements for the game, people are looking for power creep right out of the DMG? lol

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
There wasn't a stat cap in 1e. It breaks the rules even if a level 10 PC gets one.

I guess seeing as there's not going to be many, if any, supplements for the game, people are looking for power creep right out of the DMG? lol

You guess would be incorrect, just because I believe the items will exist, does not mean I am giving them to the players. "Maybe" at the high end of the campaign, after an arduous quest.

Agamon

Adventurer
You guess would be incorrect, just because I believe the items will exist, does not mean I am giving them to the players. "Maybe" at the high end of the campaign, after an arduous quest.

Well, I still sincerely doubt there will be anything like that in the book. Happily, it is a pretty easy item to create and hand out to a high level party if one were so inclined.

I've actually created a couple magic items for my game so far, it's fun. Coming up with the back story, it's raison d'etre, its distinct look, and a cool power that goes beyond, "It's a +1 thing."

the Jester

Legend

I'll answer this.

I do believe the BoGS will be in the DMG, and that it will probably raise the wearer's Str to above the normal limits. I believe this both because of existing items like the gauntlets of ogre power, which do essentially the same but without breaking the 20 limit; because of the iconic status of the BoGS; and because of the precedents of how the BoGS worked in 1e and 2e, as well as the playtest.

Now, will the BoGS set a pc's str to 24 or 26? I won't pretend to have a clue what Str it might offer in the final version, but I'll point out that the final playtest versions did raise the wearer's Str to anywhere from 21 to 29, depending on the version.

Is it possible for a 1st level character to have a BoGS? Sure. Is it likely? Not at all. So, is there a way for a level 1 PC to have a (beyond maximum) Str? Yes. Is it worth worrying about? Not for me.

EDIT: In short, I'll take that bet.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads