Accessories Usage

Arnwyn

First Post
jester47 said:
I find that Campaign and Generic accessories seem to cause me to exclude the material of one type or another. Does anyone else find this to be true?

Here is an example when I use say a Necromancer Games Module in my FR campaign, it seems that I do not use the accessories I bought for FR at all. And to use the accessories I bought for FR, I basicly have to write the adventure.
Not at all. Not even close. I do exactly what you do (Necromancer Games modules in FR) and I still use my FR stuff a lot.

Now, I do use the FR geographical material far more than any FR rules-related material, and geographical material is constantly used whenever I run an adventure (that's also because I'm sick to death of more feats, PrCs, spells, and magic items - I don't buy books when that's the main focus). Sometimes I will add adventure material from the campaign accessory (like from Serpent Kingdoms, for example) that may link two different modules together; or simply expand the module with campaign material. (Due to my lack of time, I rarely "modify" - I'll more likely add/expand to fit the current/past campaign events.)

Needless to say, I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about. (And believe me - my time limitations are quite extreme.)

I also think you might be mixing up "Campaign Sourcebooks" with "splatbooks". Two different things. (Serpent Kingdoms, UE, and/or Shining South are far different than Complete Divine...)

jester47

First Post
Good points all round.

I'm Lazy. I use the sourcebooks for locations and such, but I am finding that I need a computer to make good on my crunch investment. AnI guess that is what I am complaining about. I know ToH 2 is a monsterbook and I can just take monsters from there and throw them in where it makes sense, but that requires work.

I don't think I have ever used an NPC with a PrC.

Aaron.

JoeGKushner

First Post
jester47 said:
Good points all round.

I'm Lazy. I use the sourcebooks for locations and such, but I am finding that I need a computer to make good on my crunch investment. AnI guess that is what I am complaining about. I know ToH 2 is a monsterbook and I can just take monsters from there and throw them in where it makes sense, but that requires work.

I don't think I have ever used an NPC with a PrC.

Aaron.

I don't want to say this is a troll, but why do you own the ToH 2 if you don't throw monsters in?

jester47

First Post
That is what I am saying... If I don't have time to make my own adventure, or modify one and use my accessories, why do I have the accessories? I guess I never thought about replaceing monsters. This is a new idea for me. And a good one. Also, there are those empty places where putting a monster would be great.

I think it might be that I DM in a status quo style. The dungeon will be found As-Is. So that means no changes... then when the heros die/leave I make the changes based on what would move in there. The thing is I guess I never really separated in game As-Is from product As-Is.

The only time I made changes was when rules in the product did not fit. (for example the wraith runcaster in Abysthor uses a lot of Relics and Rituals stuff) I never said, "Zombies?! Heh, we'll take those out and replace them with ULTRA-ZOMBIES!"

Keep the kicks to the head comming... I need to unstale my DMing...

Aaron.

Voadam

Legend
Here is how I use modules.

1 read through it and decide if I want to use it.

Get a sense of the story for the adventure.

See if there are elements of the story I want to change and think about how I would want to change them (just a flavor/story change, or full rip out and replacement of mechanical stuff such as NPC/creature stats). Previous campaign history or planned future campaign directions impact this step a lot.

Then if I have time see if there are extra things from other sourcebooks I want to incorporate just because they are cool and would fit.

I also spend some time thinking about how different modules could fit in together creating links for campaign consistency and possible foreshadowing.

Remove ads