OSR ACKS 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
As @Micah Sweet already mentioned, Colville's design philosophy is probably not a good fit for people leaning old-school gaming. However, I indeed never heard anything that indicated he might hold questionable beliefs (certainly not the ones we are otherwise discussing here).
I mean, he's wrong about Dune and Lord of the Rings a lot, but that's about as far as Colville's problematic views seem to go.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Absolutely. Like I said, it's not really a gotcha for anyone, but definitely a thing to look out for and avoid. Bad actors will continue to use the portmanteau deliberately for exactly the reasons you describe; most normal people will respond "oh I had no idea" and correct their phrasing in the future
I think the AP Stylebook guidance may have been using "transwoman" in the recent past, so there will be people lagging the preferred usage out of ignorance here.

Jahydin

Hero
If you're advocating people reading all the material involved, you should do the same with this. It's not at all what WotC or anyone else was saying, and the folks claiming otherwise are bad actors trying to walk YouTube viewers down the garden path to some pretty ugly places.
In your opinion, what was the meaning of the statement?

I'm sure he was coming from a good place, but just seems like a terrible thing to say.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
In your opinion, what was the meaning of the statement?
The statement was explicitly about the value of having diverse voices and backgrounds in the creation of games, rather than what, historically, has been creators who have been almost universally White, straight, Christian and Midwestern. It was not about removing those voices from game design, but adding more voices to the mix.
I'm sure he was coming from a good place, but just seems like a terrible thing to say.
When intentionally taken out of context by people wanting to walk viewers towards extremist views, it sure is.

Jahydin

Hero
The statement was explicitly about the value of having diverse voices and backgrounds in the creation of games, rather than what, historically, has been creators who have been almost universally White, straight, Christian and Midwestern. It was not about removing those voices from game design, but adding more voices to the mix.
Oh, I can see how that would be a hard thing to articulate clearly on the spot, haha.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
There is no paradox of tolerance.

44AA0EE7-D9DC-4F4E-9A70-48F029C2FEFA.png

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Oh, I can see how that would be a hard thing to articulate clearly on the spot, haha.
It wasn't. The people who are pulling it out of context are intentionally making it seem like something other than it was, for the express purpose of radicalizing young people.

Here on ENWorld, where people are happy to argue about the great moral injury that is insufficient detail on the Rock of Braal in the most recent Spelljammer boxed slipcase set for months, it was the subject of discussion for a few days at most, because everyone acting in good faith saw what the statement was saying, even those who might not necessarily agree with it.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads