D&D General Acting and DMing -- is acting an impediment to fun?

Which sort of DM do you prefer?

• a DM who does a lot of acting and voices

Votes: 20 62.5%
  • a DM who doesn't do a lot of acting and voices

Votes: 12 37.5%

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
I feel like this doesn't even need to be said, but surely this varies from table to table? D&D players aren't a monolith, so painting them all with a single brush ("players seem to enjoy a dryer DM") seems impossible and counterproductive.
The OP made the poll inherently subjective, so, it is a subjective discussion.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
However, I think there is a problem when any DM is monologing and has lost sight of whether the players are actually engaged.
With one exception: major boss villains have to be able to (try to) monologue! :)

It's become something of a joke among our crew: how long it takes the players/PCs to a) realize they're listening to a boss monologue and b) bust it up with spells, missiles, swords, or thrown furniture.

Iry

Hero
With one exception: major boss villains have to be able to (try to) monologue! :)

It's become something of a joke among our crew: how long it takes the players/PCs to a) realize they're listening to a boss monologue and b) bust it up with spells, missiles, swords, or thrown furniture.
I did the opposite in one lighthearted game. A hulking barbarian named 'NOLO' worked as a mercenary for several BBEGs. "Well, my cunning plan is... You know what? Nevermind. Kill them." The monstrous barbarian rages and charges immediately, screaming "MONOLOGUE!!"

He was a zealot barbarian and was revivified several times for various BBEG before the party desecrated his corpse. And then... months later... he came back as a Death Knight. :giggle:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases