D&D 5E Acting order with multiple ready actions

Let's say three creatures have the following initiative order:
A -> B -> C

A says "I ready an action to attack B when C attacks."
B says "I ready an action to attack A when A attacks."
C attacks.

Usually if there's only one ready action, we said in another thread already that the trigger is immediate and happens before the action is acted. But now the attack from C first triggers A to attack which triggers B to attack.

Would you do it like in "Magic" and say last trigger acts first (B -> A -> C) or would you act it out in initiative order (A -> B -> C)?

Horwath

Legend
If they are on the same team I would allow to make their own order of attacks.

That is why we usually roll initiative after 1st round if all party has surprise and all enemies are surprised.

clearstream

(He, Him)
Let's say three creatures have the following initiative order:
A -> B -> C

A says "I ready an action to attack B when C attacks."
B says "I ready an action to attack A when A attacks."
C attacks.

Usually if there's only one ready action, we said in another thread already that the trigger is immediate and happens before the action is acted. But now the attack from C first triggers A to attack which triggers B to attack.

Would you do it like in "Magic" and say last trigger acts first (B -> A -> C) or would you act it out in initiative order (A -> B -> C)?
There's a mistaken premise in there somewhere because per RAW, "When the trigger occurs, you can either take your reaction right after the trigger finishes or ignore the trigger. " (PHB 193).

So C resolves C's attack, then A resolves A's attack, and then B resolves B's attack. C > A > B

One way this could change is if C needed to move to attack. Then A could condition their Ready on C's movement, rather than C's attack, and thus attack B before C attacked.

Remove ads