Level Up (A5E) Actions in Combat

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
In Level Up: Advanced 5th Edition, we've tweaked combat to give it a little more variety. We have flexible types of initiative, world actions, fatigue, and a few new tactical positioning elements like back-to-back, or pulling from below.

Screen Shot 2021-11-01 at 3.30.56 PM.png

We've also modified combat actions slightly. Here's some of them.

Screen Shot 2021-11-01 at 3.23.40 PM.png

Additionally, any character can use a Basic Maneuver. While these are effectively 0th-degree combat maneuvers, these do not cost exertion, and do not require you to have access to combat maneuvers.

Screen Shot 2021-11-02 at 11.03.30 AM.png

Last edited:

Stalker0

Legend
Main updates I noticed. Grapple doesn’t necessarily halve your speed for moving other creatures, it depends on weight.

shove clarified how pushing off a precipice works.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
1635782857088.png

As someone who has seen a tabaxi rogue literally named barry allen at my table, I love that straight line keeping sprint within the realm of physics adjacent at worst :D

I'm mostly happy with the disarm changes, as the ones from the O5E DMG were horrendously abusable, (a wizard, or really any PC, could easily disarm most monsters including fighter types, because even a wizard is likely proficient with the weapon they are using, but few monsters were proficient in skills).

Anselm

Adventurer
I'm not sure if opportunity attacks work similarly to O5E but I wonder if the "Fall Back" reaction trigger them either from other adjacent creatures or the creature pressing the attack.

Masha

Villager
One slight confusion, it says when I sprint X times I start making checks, but how spread out are those? Could I sprint once a minute and never make a check? Is it that many before a short rest?
From the phrasing I believe you sprint any amount of times and whenever you stop sprinting for at least 1 minute, the counter resets. That said, these are turn-based actions. Realistically a DM wouldn't allow excessive sprinting outside of combat. The whole 6 second turns thing and the stuff you do is considered action under high adrenaline. Outside of combat normal travel speeds should apply.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases