D&D 1E AD&D 1e Alternate Classes

airwalkrr

Adventurer
So other than the PH and Unearthed Arcana, did 1e ever introduce any other classes before 2e was released? Dragon magazine counts for the purposes of this conversation. And anything from B/X/OD&D etc. doesn't count. I'm mainly concerned with AD&D.

T. Foster

First Post
Dragon magazine had a ton of alternate classes for 1E AD&D. Most of the best of them were collected in the various "Best of Dragon" volumes: vol. 2 included the berserker, pre-OA versions of the samurai and ninja, and the infamous anti-paladin; vol. 3 included alternate versions of the monk and bard that a lot of folks prefer to the PH versions and the archer class that was popular for awhile but was sort of rendered obsolete by the weapon specialization rules in UA; vol. 4 included a bunch, among them the duelist, bounty hunter, bandit, death master, jester, and cloistered cleric (i.e. cleric who doesn't fight).

From later issues (the "Best of" collections only went up to about issue 100), some that stand out in my memory include a set of alternate paladins (one for each alignment), the elven cavalier (variant of the UA cavalier class), barbarian shaman, and beast master (a horribly unbalanced uber-class that one of my frends always used to insist on playing).

Contrarian

First Post
Here's a little-known one: Gygax actually published one AD&D character class after leaving TSR -- the Hunter. It's a fighter subclass that specializes in fighting animals and monsters instead of people and humanoids -- basically a hunter-gatherer character class. (Some of its special abilities overlap with the barbarian's and the ranger's -- hunter might be a good class for people who think the 1E barbarian is too over the top.)

http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3589

T. Foster

First Post
Contrarian said:
Here's a little-known one: Gygax actually published one AD&D character class after leaving TSR -- the Hunter. It's a fighter subclass that specializes in fighting animals and monsters instead of people and humanoids -- basically a hunter-gatherer character class. (Some of its special abilities overlap with the barbarian's and the ranger's -- hunter might be a good class for people who think the 1E barbarian is too over the top.)

http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3589
Heh, you'd think I'd have remembered about that class, since I'm the one who first dug it up and posted about it at dragonsfoot... :eek:

Celebrim

Legend
In addition to the ones that T. Foster mentions, I also remember a 'Mariner' (fighter subclass specialized in seafaring, with a thief like table of oceanic skills), and a 'Corsair' (the same, but a paladin variant).

Rhun

First Post
airwalkrr said:
Interesting notes. But it seems as if there was not, in fact, another rulebook with published classes.

The only other 1E AD&D rulebook I can think of that had published classes in it besides Oriental Adventures was the Dragonlance Adventures book.

Tewligan

First Post
T. Foster said:
Dragon magazine had a ton of alternate classes for 1E AD&D. Most of the best of them were collected in the various "Best of Dragon" volumes: vol. 2 included the berserker, pre-OA versions of the samurai and ninja, and the infamous anti-paladin; vol. 3 included alternate versions of the monk and bard that a lot of folks prefer to the PH versions and the archer class that was popular for awhile but was sort of rendered obsolete by the weapon specialization rules in UA; vol. 4 included a bunch, among them the duelist, bounty hunter, bandit, death master, jester, and cloistered cleric (i.e. cleric who doesn't fight).

From later issues (the "Best of" collections only went up to about issue 100), some that stand out in my memory include a set of alternate paladins (one for each alignment), the elven cavalier (variant of the UA cavalier class), barbarian shaman, and beast master (a horribly unbalanced uber-class that one of my frends always used to insist on playing).
However, except for the alternate monk and bard, I'm almost positive that all of those Dragon classes you mentioned were specifically given as NPC classes, NOT playtested or balanced to be used as PCs. No wonder your friend always insisted on taking the beast master - I remember that one being crazy powerful! NPC-only classes are an idea that I'm pretty sure would go over like a lead balloon today, but I always thought they were a pretty keen idea.

T. Foster

First Post
You are absolutely correct -- most/all of those classes in Dragon were specifically indicated for use as NPCs only. Didn't stop use from using them for PCs in our games, though...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases