• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

AD&D and the people who still play it

Magic Slim

First Post
Just saw a guy on the bus, regular gaming guy (bad hair, badly shaven, badly dressed, etc. :D), who was flipping through his 2nd Ed AD&D PHB... I was kind of amazed that some people still play that game... Do you know anyone who have not switched to 3.0/3.5?

Slim

Holy Bovine

First Post
2E? hell how about a game of Rules Cyclopedia D&D? I have played no less than 3 games of RCD&D in the last month. it is a refreshing change. Especially being able to make a Magic-User with a 9 in Intelligence but he can still cast 5th level spells:D

And I always wanted to run a Dwarf character class ;)

And before diaglo shows up insert - OD&D (1974 yes we all know when OD&D was published thanks for pointing out the obvious) is the only true edtion all others are pale (and more interesting) imitations - here.

Last edited:

Henry

Autoexreginated
Dagger75 said:
Guy at work just got into a 2nd AD&D PbP game on some other board. He says 3ed is to complicated :eek:

In some ways, it is. :)

MagicSlim, If you want to see an active community of 1st and 2nd Editioners, check out www.dragonsfoot.org.

Please DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT post there until you get a feel for those forums and how the community works. They are just as passionate there about AD&D as you may be about 3E.

Once you have a feel for the community there, there are plenty of forums that offer 1st edition, 2nd edition, Original D&D, and even a 3E forum, and (most interestingly) an "Edition Wars" forum where everyone insults each others' favorite editions to their hearts' content, with a minimum of hard feelings. :)

Dinkeldog

Sniper o' the Shrouds
There's a Bill Cosby skit in here somewhere. Something along the lines of:

Mother: Now I want each of you to play nice with each other and don't make me come up there.

Kids: Yes, mother.

Father: Just do as your mother says...

But there's going to be a beating tonight.

Please don't take this down the edition wars path.

Please don't make this a prophetic post.

Magic Slim

First Post
In no ways was my intention to belittle the players of older versions of the game. I was just surprised to see a 2nd ed PHB :). The reason I was surprised is that of all the players I know, we all switched pretty rapidly (I admit that I don't know THAT many gamers) when 3.0 came out.

Thanks for the site info, I'll check it out.

Game on! (in any edtion that you like)

Slim

rbingham2000

Explorer
I got the 2e PHB and DMG some years ago, but I finally got my hands on the Monster Manual (they called it the Monstrous Manual back then) a week or so ago. It was an older printing than the PHB and DMG, but now I finally have all three corebooks for 2e.

I like the ecology sections posted for each monster of the book, and can't help but think that they have some big-time story potential. For example, the largest of the giant snakes is known as the Grand Snakemaster, who no one has ever seen -- wouldn't that be a cool legend for your PCs to write home about!

kreynolds

First Post
Magic Slim said:
Do you know anyone who have not switched to 3.0/3.5?

Only old people. Seriously. I swear. For some reason, the older gamers get, the more reluctant they are to try out the newer systems.

Oh, that and they're all like... "Back in my day, we didn't have attacks of opportunity. We had a system that wouldn't let you do anything except die...and we _liked_ it!"

OK. So they're not that bad, but seriously, the age thing applies, IME.

Last edited:

Bregh

Explorer
I'm 30 (is that old?).

I started with OAD&D in 1982 and continue to play it (passionately) today. I run games for two parties, twice a month (on average).

I've played d20 and enjoyed myself, and have run games for d20 advos. who claimed to have a blast, also.

So, from my experience, quite a few people still play the "older" versions of the game, and have a good deal of fun in so doing.

Which is cool. Variety and the spice of life, and all that.

Krieg

First Post
kreynolds said:
Only old people. Seriously. I swear. For some reason, the older gamers get, the more reluctant they are to try out the newer systems.

It's because with age comes wisdom. :)

Remove ads