• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

AD&D and the people who still play it

Norfleet

First Post
Or maybe it's just because some of us old folks still have vast piles of material for it, and aren't about to shell out that much at once for something new just because it's "new". It's not that change is scary, it's that change costs money.

Last edited:

kreynolds

First Post
Norfleet said:
Or maybe it's just because some of us old folks still have vast piles of material for it, and aren't about to shell out that much at once for something new just because it's "new".

Then its a good thing that nobody said anything about shelling out that much at once for something new just because it's new, now isn't it? :p

Norfleet said:
It's not that change is scary, it's that change costs money.

I can't argue with that. :cool:

There's nothing wrong with playing older additions, heck i spent many a year playing 2e and oD&D(which i count as any of the none Ad&D versions.). As far as switching back, i don't think i could. With the exception being Od&d, i still have a soft spot for the boxed sets and cyclopidia. I never liked 1e i don't think would ever play it, and while i liked 2e i feal 3e/3.5e is just a better system.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Personally, I don't see anything wrong with playing ANY game system, as long as it facilitates the playing of the type of game you're interested in.

Which is kind of why I don't see the point of sticking to AD&D for simplicity (which is one of the claims I've heard...).

I also think the ecology sections of the older MM's were better than the current edition (although ofttimes they contain a lot of useless crud...)

Will

First Post
Weird. Personally, I never could stand 1e or 2e. They always seemed barely functional as game systems, and I was drawn to all sorts of other games. The lack of anything remotely like 'advantages/disadvantages,' or even _skills_... (yes, I know skill like stuff got added, but boy was it clunky).

That and percentile next to Dthis and Dthat... oy.

I realize people like different things, and have no problem with people preferring the older systems. But just in case you were wondering. I find the idea that 3e is 'more complicated' than 2e frankly a bit odd. More complicated than 1e? I suppose. More complicated than basic? Definitely.

But if I'm going to play a simple game, I think I'll play fantasy themed Over the Edge or something.

And I qualify as 'old,' relatively speaking, as a 32 year old. ;)

Remove ads