• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

AD&D Kobold picture

Fieari

Explorer
I was having a discussion about the various depictions of kobolds over the years, and it came up that the AD&D Kobold from the Monstrous Compendium was significantly different from either the dog-like image or the lizard-like image. Does anyone have this picture available so I can see it? Google image search has failed me.

I was having a discussion about the various depictions of kobolds over the years, and it came up that the AD&D Kobold from the Monstrous Compendium was significantly different from either the dog-like image or the lizard-like image. Does anyone have this picture available so I can see it? Google image search has failed me.

Weren't they originally goblinoids? The smallest, lowest, meanest of the goblinoid totem pole...?

JeffB

Legend
I had a convo with Gary about this here on ENWORLD in one of his many "ASK GARY" threads.

Basically, the original kobold pic by David Sutherland was a mistake. The Kobold was not meant to be a little dog/lizard man, but more of an evil twisted gnome type creature as commonly depicted in real world "legend/mythology"- something like this:

Koboldregeln06.jpg

At the time I posted a better picture (which I could not find again now) and Gary basically said "exactly like that is how I pictured them".

Dragonbait

Explorer
Kobolds went from scaly devil dogs men (AD&D) to alien pugs with antennae (AD&D 2E MC) to rat men (AD&D 2e MM) to lizard dogs (3E MM) to small evil looking lizard humanoids with next to no canine traits (4E MM).

I love the litte lizards but the evil gnomish creatures would have been pretty neat too.

Oni

First Post
I had a convo with Gary about this here on ENWORLD in one of his many "ASK GARY" threads.

Basically, the original kobold pic by David Sutherland was a mistake. The Kobold was not meant to be a little dog/lizard man, but more of an evil twisted gnome type creature as commonly depicted in real world "legend/mythology"- something like this:

Koboldregeln06.jpg

At the time I posted a better picture (which I could not find again now) and Gary basically said "exactly like that is how I pictured them".

Well that would have certainly made Meepo different.

I feel sorry for the kobolds being abused by the heartless adventurers.

RFisher

Explorer

I’m looking at it. Unfortunately the wife took the scanner when she left (>_<) so I can’t scan it for you. First impression I get is indeed canine. Looks like a humanoid pug.

diaglo

Adventurer
Weren't they originally goblinoids? The smallest, lowest, meanest of the goblinoid totem pole...?

but that was the OD&D(1974) version. better description of them was in supplement II Blackmoor (1975)

1edADnD had them like the DCS pic
2edADnD MC changed them up a little. they had winged ones too. urds iirc.

edit: kobold is from germanic lore. iirc they are considered "house spirits"

Remove ads