• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

AD&D Kobold picture

Qualidar

First Post
How it saw them during the Compendium era prior to the Monstrous Manual.

If someone gives the ok I will get the MMII and Monstrous Manual images placed up here for people to see, but don't want to violate copyright on it if it would not be fair-use for the discussion to use the image in this thread.

I give you permission. Post the damn picture.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
They're associated with goblins in Chainmail and OD&D (i.e., they're classified under the same heading), whilst early (non-TSR) RoleAids books describe them as little lizard men.

Vegepygmy

First Post
While it was a mistake according to Gary, I like the original scaly dog-like yippers...
For those who haven't see it before...

kobold.jpg

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
For those who haven't see it before...

kobold.jpg

I'm not sure where "dog like" came from, but that is the kobold I grew up with. Always pegged them as little reptilian critters, but always considered them as 'little demon things' more than anything else (scales, tails, horns etc).

It's how the original minifigs kobolds looked :)

Cheers

diaglo

Adventurer
I'm not sure where "dog like" came from, but that is the kobold I grew up with. Always pegged them as little reptilian critters, but always considered them as 'little demon things' more than anything else (scales, tails, horns etc).

It's how the original minifigs kobolds looked :)

Cheers

check out the nose/ muzzle on the pic. very dog like.
another version of them can be found in the DDG (1980) under the nonhuman pantheon. a pic with their deity.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
There's also a picture of a dragon wiping out a bunch of kobolds in the DMG, I believe in the section about playing monsters as PCs. I found that their look on that page was very dog-like as well.

Based on the dog-like look from 1e and the scaly look and draconic relation of 3e, I have them speaking draconic in yappy, barking voices and panting in my campaigns. Good fun.

Raven Crowking

First Post
check out the nose/ muzzle on the pic. very dog like.
another version of them can be found in the DDG (1980) under the nonhuman pantheon. a pic with their deity.

I believe the "dog-like" meme also came from Keep on the Borderlands, where they are described as such.

RC

Klaus

First Post
It's odd that Kurtulmak's picture in the 1e Deities & Demigods was so different from his kobold worshippers:

image008.jpg

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads