• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Adapting Watchmen into 4E. Suggestions?

Kylemcinnis

First Post
This campaign I've been putting together for a while now is loosely based on the plot of Watchmen. (And a smidge of Chrono Trigger. I've been playing that a lot lately.:p) I want to give cameos to the characters of Watchmen, maybe even make them strong supporting roles in the PC's adventures, but the trick is that I want to do it subtly. Most of the players have read the novel and seen the movie, leaving me hesitant to be completely blatant in my execution.

Here's what I've brainstormed so far, and I would love to get your guy's opinions on an innovative way to involve these characters in the story. Thanks! P.S. The names are subject to change, too. Feel free to throw out any cool ideas you have, if you don't like the ones I came up with.

Character - Name in the campaign - Race/Class - Cameo idea

Nite Owl - Mason - Human Druid - As his Owl beast form implies, Mason is a very wise leader of a tribe that lives close to the PC's starting town. Will probably act as a quest giver when the PC's start to branch out of said town.

Rorschach - ??? - Changeling Rogue - Just like the Rorschach we know and love, he would be an administrator of street justice in the city of Sigil. (Planning on taking the campaign there in paragon tier.) Not sure whether I want his face to be a static black and white pattern, or just white as is regular for Changelings. Or maybe have it be white, and have a scar that turns part of his face black.

The Comedian - Morgan Drake - Human Fighter - Either to be deceased and used as a plot device like in the original story, or a hot-headed nihilistic mercenary. I'm thinking battlerager figher for him. :D

Dr. Manhattan - Janus - Deva Wizard - Head of the arcane university in the largest city of the material world, whatever I decide that to be. Would have the Spock-like detached mannerisms of Dr. Manhattan, and would serve as a huge milestone in the PC's search for very elusive information.

Silk Spectre - Shade - ??? - I honestly have no clue what to do with her. I don't know if I should play on the 'Spectre' part, and homebrew a Shadowdancer, or just make her an Assassin or something. Suggestions appreciated!

Ozymandias - Rameses - Human Warlock - Got big plans for this fella. I've taken the most liberties with him, as I'm using him for the main villian in the campaign. Still keeping the egyptian bent, as well as the massive amount of gray area and moral complication involved when the PC's are on the cusp of foiling his plans. I.E. is he really the bad guy? Or are we the bad guys for trying to stop him?

Silk Spectre might be Assassin, Ranger or Rogue, I think. You can probably pick a race (if not human) based on the requirements of the class, so probably something towards "graceful" and not "brutish".

I am not sure I see Ozy as Warlock. Maybe Monk would be better? He was supersmart and superfast. I am not sure about smart, but his quickness and his emotional detachment might fit the Monk best.

Mesh Hong

First Post
In many ways I see Ozymandias as a Paladin. He is absolutely dedicated to his cause, and has the charisma and respectable front to be viewed as benificent carer by the masses.

willows

First Post
If anyone's a warlock it's Spectre. She clearly needs Misty Step, and some form of Warlock Boot Channeling so she can use warlock spells while kicking a dude in the face.

Kylemcinnis

First Post
Lol. Boot channeling. Awesome.

But as far as Ozymandias goes... Under any other circumstances, I would agree that Warlock is a bad fit, but there's a foundational story reason behind the choice.

SSquirrel

Explorer
Ozzy was told he would be "The smartest man on the cinder" by the Comedian. Routinely referred to as the world's smartest man. In some ways he is very similar to Captain America as a perfect physical specimen, but he also has extreme intelligence.

Warlock implies some form of reliance on others and he has never had that. The way he trashed everyone at hand to hand would imply Monk as being a good fit, but I haven't spent much time with the 4E Monk

EDIT:and yes, boot channeling sounds hilarious

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads