• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

add 1/2 level to ability checks? What? Why?

Nadaka

First Post
Ok, I guess in the superhero D&D style world ones level is a general modifier to ones awesomeness. But doesn't this kind of thing present a major issue when WotC attempts to do modern games with the new system in 2009 or 2010? In a modern game, one can't just depend on magic as a catch all excuse.

Nikolai II

First Post
Nadaka said:
Ok, I guess in the superhero D&D style world ones level is a general modifier to ones awesomeness. But doesn't this kind of thing present a major issue when WotC attempts to do modern games with the new system in 2009 or 2010? In a modern game, one can't just depend on magic as a catch all excuse.

True. But it will be action movie-style in modern world as well, so it is all about "adrenalin surge" - besides which, plenty of people believe in all sorts of magic IRL ;)

Lord Xtheth

First Post
Real life: Fat lazy guy (Me for prime example) works lumber, sliding wood across a belt into some random machine.
on my first day, product output: 6 bundles (aprox 2000 peices of 10lb wood)

Theres no way I can gain str by moving 10lbs of wood, endurance maybe... but not str.

1 year later, WITH EXPERIENCE I can do it one handed, half asleep with slivers in my hand and fingers.
Product output: 20 bundles (Aprox 8600peices)

what made the difference? my "LEVEL" of experience!

Nadaka

First Post
Lord Xtheth said:
Real life: Fat lazy guy (Me for prime example) works lumber, sliding wood across a belt into some random machine.
on my first day, product output: 6 bundles (aprox 2000 peices of 10lb wood)

Theres no way I can gain str by moving 10lbs of wood, endurance maybe... but not str.

1 year later, WITH EXPERIENCE I can do it one handed, half asleep with slivers in my hand and fingers.
Product output: 20 bundles (Aprox 8600peices)

what made the difference? my "LEVEL" of experience!

That is a skill, not an ability.

It is also what you are gaining experience with. After that year of chucking wood, are you any better at programming software?

Would you expect to be producing 20 bundles if you had instead decided to sit at a desk for a year and gain some "level" of experience programming software?

Rechan

Adventurer
You add half a level because the DCs increase by, basically, half your level.

So you always have the same margin of success or failure.

Also, it would actually hurt my suspension of disbelief if a 29th level Wizard was stopped by a simple wooden door.

Rechan

Adventurer
Nadaka said:
If you want to know how 4e Modern is going to be like, watch Die Hard.

"How can he DO that?" "He's f-ing John McClain."

The PCs are the protagonists; they get the benefit of their level to practically everything, because their level is a representation of how powerful they are, period. This is why they have all those Hit Points. This is why they respond Faster (1/2 level to Init).

Nadaka

First Post
Rechan said:
You add half a level because the DCs increase by, basically, half your level.

So you always have the same margin of success or failure.

Also, it would actually hurt my suspension of disbelief if a 29th level Wizard was stopped by a simple wooden door.

he wouldn't be. He would blow it up, phase/teleport through it, twist its very form with his arcane will. But he probably wouldn't bash it down with his shoulder.

Staffan

Legend
Nadaka said:
Look at Stargate. In the first season, Daniel Jackson is a bookish nerd who'd have trouble outrunning a goldfish on dry land. By season 10, he's still not the exemplar of muscle that Teal'c is, but he's no slouch either. That's basically because he gets half his level on ability checks now.

Remove ads