D&D 5E Adding decision points to the Champion. Others might follow?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Probably both! Champion is intended to be as simple as possible for new players, or players who prefer a very straightforward character. But that doesn't mean we don't enjoy threads like these, full of interesting ideas!
Thanks, I am glad you like hearing them.

As a side note, I enjoy trying to come up with interesting features or revamp current features to make them more useful or balanced (IMO anyway).

For example, even if these features might be adopted elsewhere, or someone is looking for a feature for a homebrew class, it's all good. :)

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
And really, this doesn't make it much more complicated, just offers more options IMO. Does that equal complicated?? I wouldn't think so, but I could be wrong if others do...
I mean, "more options" is kind of the definition of "more complicated," isn't it?

Still, I'm sure there is design space available for a slightly-more-complicated version of the Champion, either for new players who are ready to progress a little beyond "completely simple" or for more experienced players who might like some of its features but prefer something a little less simple.

Magister Ludorum

Adventurer
When I play a fighter, he is a Champion. It's my favorite fighter archetype because of its simplicity. If my GM offered something like this, I would ignore it and play the character by PHB rules.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
When I play a fighter, he is a Champion. It's my favorite fighter archetype because of its simplicity. If my GM offered something like this, I would ignore it and play the character by PHB rules.
That's perfectly fine, but the intent of the thread was more about adding points of choices/decision for players who want to branch out their build using those options.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I've been wanting to add in an option like the Power Strike feature from 4e essentials. It lets you add additional damage dice to your attack, essentially like a smite. Perhaps this could be your Improved Damage option of the improved weapon use feature.

I'd probably go something like add 1d10 to your weapon damage with a number of uses equal to your proficiency bonus. Not sure if I'd make it per long rest or short rest. 1d10 might be too much compared to the other options, especially if it is made a short rest ability so you could reduce the die down to maybe d6 and then increase it at level 15 to d8 or d10.

NotAYakk

Legend
Momentum: Every time you damage a creature with a weapon attack, you gain 1 point of momentum, up to a maximum of your Fighter class level. If the attack was with a 2 handed weapon, you instead gain 2 points of momentum.

If you end your turn without attacking a creature, you lose 1 point of momentum until you reach 0.

You can expend 3 points of momentum to deal an additional set of weapon damage dice; if the weapon is light, it only costs 2 points of momentum.

Backbone: Every time an attack hits you, you gain 1 point of Backbone; if the attack misses you, you gain 2, up to a maximum of your Fighter class level.

If you end your turn without being attacked since the end of your last turn, you lose 1 point of Backbone until you reach 0.

You can expend 3 points of Backbone to Block with a shield as a reaction to an attack, adding your proficiency bonus to your AC against that attack.
You can expend 3 points of Backbone to Parry with a melee weapon as a reaction to a melee attack. Roll an attack with that weapon; if it beats the enemy attack roll, the attack misses.
You can expend 3 points of Backbone to Riposte with a light or finesse melee weapon as a reaction to a melee hit. Make an attack on the target with that weapon.
If you have two weapons equipped and your Riposte beats the enemy attack roll, it also counts as a Parry.
You can expend any number of points of Backbone to reduce the damage of a hit an equal number of points, up to a maximium of half of the damage from the hit.

naw, too fiddly.

Remove ads