• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Adding Magic to Occult Wild West

Wik

First Post
I'd tie the magic to the indians - make it a corrupted form of drug use, so that all casters are at least kind of high when they're casting spells. Also, use charms (A hand on a rope, wearing the skull of a buffalo, etc...) to enhance spellcasting with metamagic or something like that.

Stormborn

Explorer
themaxx said:
Mechanics I'm not as worried about. I'd love cool story ideas for how to get involved with magic and make it kinda 'icky' to the PCs. What are some tough decisions or sacrifices? I'd like magic to be rare and dubious, but present.

Well, here are some ideas for somewhat conflicted western mages, some of whom have more or less 'icky' costs but all of whom have to make tough decisions:

- Gambler mage makes a deal with the Queen of Spades, whom he sees in a vision. She will make sure he "wins" in life -cards, women, eternal youth and anything else he wants. All she asks in return is that he collect the souls of his opponents. Every so often he plays in a high stakes game in which the last hand comes down to a special bet in which he offers to allow someone to bet his sould to stay in the game. That person always loses and dies in the night. The next morning the loser's image appears on a special deck of cards that the Gambler never plays with but serves as a focus in spell casting. He is guided to his victims in dreams by the Queen of Spades, or the Black Queen as he calls her. He keeps asking what happens when the deck is full, but she refuses to answer. Should the Gambler somehow lose the Queen takes a year of his life - a horrible prospect for the vain gambler.

- A former cavalry soldier controls the dead, but only after he has ritually killed them and eaten their hearts. He has spell books of skin and magic totems made of human bones. He has a small troop of undead indian warriors at his command, but is haunted by their souls.

-A small, clerkish looking watchmaker builds clockworks with magical powers. He fuels them with pieces of his memories, or ones he can trick people into giving up willingly - the more important to the person's identy the more powerful magic he can create. He no longer remembers his own name nor where he is from. Most disturbing is his inability to remember the name of the woman and child whose picture he keeps in his watch - all he knows is that he loves them and cannot bear to part with the picture. He has come West to "make memories", but more likely to try and find a way to get some back.

-A Chinese man -actually a member of a long forgotten Polynesian tribe - who came to work on the railroad carves ancient runes into his skin and engages in other acts of self mutilation. This gives him the ability to empower his own flesh and physical abilities, or to warp the bodies of others.

- A transient can take on the identy of anyone for a while, provided he kills them, skins them, and wears their skin. He has been a wolf, a horse, a whore, a gunfighter, a farmer, a preacher, a buffalo, and an indian scout - he is no longer sure who, or what, he is.

-A preacher has access to great magical powers through a demon he has bound to himself with enochian tattoos. However, he occasionally has to feed the demon with sin, either his own or someone elses, to retain its power. This ususally results in him leaving town when his excesses are discovered. But he is determined to force the demon to do more than enough good to out weight the sin he must commit in its name.

Dont make it a single all encompassing source of magic. Let each person find his or her own way to power, that way each person suffers in a very private sort of hell. One that no one else can fully understand.

Cabe Zeree

First Post
Stormborn said:
Well, here are some ideas for somewhat conflicted western mages, some of whom have more or less 'icky' costs but all of whom have to make tough decisions:

Wow. I'm disturbed as much as I'm impressed!

Here are a couple ideas I had after reading Stormborns'.

A successful boomtown rancher has risen to power quickly in his town; things always seem to fall in place for him. The rancher owes his success to vengeful native american ghosts that inhabit the remote canyons of his ranch. One night when he was hunting lost cattle in the canyons the ghosts came to him and offered him a deal. They would grant him power and success, but he would have to hunt and ritually kill someone every month in the canyons where the ghosts live and the native americans used to thrive.

A snake-oil salesman's sells tinctures that promise strength, virility, intelligence, etc. But his potions actually work, and they've made him a wealthy man. However, the key ingredient in his potions is blood from people with the trait he seeks. He tried getting blood without killing the individual, but the potions didn't work, so he's left with no other alternative.

Hope that helps! Enjoy the eve!

Peni Griffin

First Post
I'm a big fan of research. Read up on Indian shamanism, spiritualism, pioneer superstition, American folk healing, and Chinese folk customs. Most of these will not have overt effects that are sensational enough for a game, but they can give you innocent-looking, appropriate starting points and accurate flavor. Mixing real-world trickery with authentic magic can keep your players off-balance and never quite sure what they're dealing with.

One really weird case you should definitely read up on is the Bell Witch. It's antebellum Tennessee, but it's sensational enough for anyone - a poltergeist case that extended for years with multiple witnesses (including a future president!), apparitions, and a murder. This stuff is so complicated, so weird, and so violently sensational that the recent movie (An American Haunting) toned the events down to nothing in order to make them acceptable to a modern audience. I recommend The Bell Witch: The Full Account, by Pat Fitzhugh (2000, Armand Press, Nashville) as the most thorough collection of primary sources and folklore on the topic.

Stormborn

Explorer
Cabe Zeree said:
Wow. I'm disturbed as much as I'm impressed!

Here are a couple ideas I had after reading Stormborns'.

Dont be too impressed. A couple were ideas stolen from Unknown Armies. Specifically the self mutilator is an Epiduromancer and the clockmaker is a Mechanomancer.

As for the Bell Witch - there is a more famous fictionalized version a/k/a the Blair Witch. Don't know if it fits the OPs ideas, but there you go.

Another random idea: a Dr. Frankenstein type on the run from Europe w/ a new and improved monster. He can get you fixed up good after a gun fight, but you might not ever be the same with the eyes of killers and the limbs of quick draw experts grafted in places of your old flesh.

evilgamer13

First Post
The cult of the septic womb

This is taken from something I posted on the creepy thread last year, have a secret sisterhood of serial killing prostitutes who impregnate themselves with the fresh seed of the the men they kill only to give birth to blighted horrors, you could have them empowered during the necro-pregnancy, or go with a whole undead Akidna mother of monsters riff (from Greek mythology).

Roger

First Post
themaxx said:
What I'm looking for are things that a PC might need to do to be able to learn to channel the magical forces around them and take levels/feats in spellcasting.
Gold. Not refined gold. A big ole nugget, fresh from the stream. Not too many of those around.

Or maybe the hide of a white buffalo. One born just that last month. Them tribe of injuns reckon it's a sign of God. Probably wouldn't take too rightly to some man with a rifle putting her down. But them thar's the price of the Power.

Regardless, as one might gather, there's just one thing I'd recommend: the price to wielding magic is a social one. It don't make your hair fall out or your bank account zero down. It makes old women spit on the street when they cross you, and wild dogs cross the street.

I hope that helps your game.

Cheers,
Roger

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Obsidian, Black Onyx, Turquoise, Red Coral, Spiny Oyster, Mother of Pearl, Buffalo Horn are also materials of great import in Native American art- there's nothing wrong with imbuing them with magical powers.

Seeds over which rituals have been performed could be the equivalent of potions.

Geodes, also known as Thunder Eggs, could be sources of magical power.

Pacts with powerful spirits and ritual tattoing or scarification would also work.

A bit of tweeking of the OA Shaman would be fine as well. The KoK Shaman combines features of that class with the Druid.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads