Adopting/Adapting BitD's Engagement Roll

darkbard

Legend
I've never been fully satisfied by 4E's loose (or, at the other extreme, extremely prescribed) framework for the combat scene, with regard to grid position and also surprise elements, and so I think a scene-framing iteration of the game might benefit from Blades in the Dark's Engagement roll, but I haven't worked out all the details yet.

Essentially, I am vexed by how best to start initial encounter distance (and also, to a lesser extent, awareness between the parties) for situations where PC action declarations don't make this abundantly clear, like random encounters, failures after skill challenges leading to additional encounters, and so on. For example, the party travels along a road between villages; goblin marauders have set an ambush for unwary travelers; how to set the "pieces" on the combat grid and determine awareness between the parties in a way that doesn't rely upon DM fiat only but rather considers player investment and preparation for the scenario?

Briefly, BitD's Engagement roll is a dice pool of unmodified d6s, where the result(s) of only the highest die is considered and 1-3 = poor result, 4/5 = mixed result, 6 = good result, and a critical (more than one 6) = exceptional result. The group rolls a single d6 for luck, modified by situational factors, adding or subtracting as many dice as is appropriate to the situation.

For a 4E iteration, I was thinking that a single PC takes the lead and makes the roll, depending on the fictional situation. (The Elf Ranger might take the lead through the forest path, whereas the Drow Cleric trained in Dungeoneering and Stealth may do so whilst traversing the Underdark.) Said character can spend an AP for an additional die, and a single other character can spend a Healing Surge for an additional die. Additional situational modifiers could include the lead character's training in one or more of Dungeoneering, Nature, Perception, or Stealth as appropriate to the fiction. I haven't given much thought to negative modifiers yet, but they could include factors like enemy readiness, special senses, etc.

The Engagement roll result would set both position (on the combat grid) and status (surprised, etc.).

Something like:

Critical (more than one 6) = PCs gain surprise and choose position relative to closest enemy at their choice of 5 or 10 squares.

6 = PCs choose position relative to closest enemy at their choice of 5 or 10 squares.

4/5 = GM chooses position relative to closest enemy at their choice of 5 or 10 squares.

1-3 = PCs are surprised and GM chooses position relative to closest enemy at their choice of 5 or 10 squares.

Ex. A Ranger leads his group through the wilderness when they come upon a pack of gnolls devouring the remains of a lost hunter from a nearby village. The Ranger rolls 1d6 for sheer luck, takes +1d6 each for being trained in Nature, Perception, and Stealth (since this takes place in the forest), but takes -1d6 each for the gnolls' keen sense of smell and the party's Fighter's noisy approach in metal armor. The Ranger decides not to spend an AP, but the Fighter, guilty over his negative impact, decides to spend a Healing Surge for an additional die. So, in total 3d6 are rolled: 2, 1, 5. Result: neither group is surprised, and the GM places the PCs on the board at her discretion, either 5 or 10 squares from the gnolls.

Thoughts regarding implementing such a subsystem? Especially with regard to negative situational modifiers?

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
Just a short response at this stage: we use a very ad hoc approach to placing PCs on the grid when combat breaks out.

Sometimes the fiction makes it clear where the PCs are, at least in general terms (eg at the base of the tower; running through the forest; etc) and then I let the players choose their precise locations within that general context.

Sometimes its a bit arbitrary, and I might make the call or let the players do it.

Surprise has never been a big part of our 4e game, which perhaps suggests you're right that it's a weak point in the rules!

Have you tried your system? I guess the issue for me (and I haven't done the maths on your system to see if it raises this issue) would be to get the balance of skills right.

darkbard

Legend
Thanks for the response!

Have you tried your system? I guess the issue for me (and I haven't done the maths on your system to see if it raises this issue) would be to get the balance of skills right.

We have not, having gotten in only one, short session since I slapped this idea together after a morning of musing. My concerns include offering sufficient diversity of player-facing levers and, on the flip side of that, categories for GM modifiers to account for a wide variety of factors external to PC control.

I suppose I'm also interested in others' opinions regarding whether this seems like a useful enterprise, accounting for a bit of a blind spot in the rules, or if this addresses such corner case scenarios as to make the added complexity not worthwhile.

pemerton

Legend
I suppose I'm also interested in others' opinions regarding whether this seems like a useful enterprise, accounting for a bit of a blind spot in the rules, or if this addresses such corner case scenarios as to make the added complexity not worthwhile.
I think this is very much a case of "season to taste"!

It's also proably a case of positive feedback - I suspect one reason surprise has not been a big part of my game is because the players don't generally play towards it because it's not been a big part of the game because the rules are a bit weak because . . .

Whereas if a system like yours was in place, maybe the feedback loop would start to run the other way.

Here is something that might be done that (a) uses 4e's basic machinery and (b) allows lead players to deploy their build:

1) Group outlines their approach.

2) Lead character rolls their relevant Skill against the Medium DC of the prospective Encounter. Success = +2 to the Engagement Roll while Failure = -2.

3) Roll Saving Throw.

a) 10 or less and the GM determines the disadvantage the group has (could be encounter budget increase, bad positioning, a new problem)

b) 11-15. The PCs get some of what they want (Surprise, a Terrain Power or advantage, or Position - which is = to a free Move Action for each player).

c) 16+ and the PCs get all of what they want.

darkbard

Legend
You have All the Best Ideas (TM)!

2) Lead character rolls their relevant Skill against the Medium DC of the prospective Encounter. Success = +2 to the Engagement Roll while Failure = -2.

I suppose you mean that the modifier to the Engagement is a modifier to the following?

3) Roll Saving Throw.

What you propose here is far simpler, more streamlined, and more in keeping with the system mechanics of 4E. Thanks!

Correct! The Engagement Roll is a 4e Saving Throw.

This machinery and order of operations does the following:

1) Provides player agency.

2) Minimizes table handling time and overhead.

3) Keeps the maths stable.

Just a short response at this stage: we use a very ad hoc approach to placing PCs on the grid when combat breaks out.

Sometimes the fiction makes it clear where the PCs are, at least in general terms (eg at the base of the tower; running through the forest; etc) and then I let the players choose their precise locations within that general context.

Sometimes its a bit arbitrary, and I might make the call or let the players do it.

Surprise has never been a big part of our 4e game, which perhaps suggests you're right that it's a weak point in the rules!

Surprise is an interesting area of 4e 'rules'. In fact there aren't really RULES for it per-se. That is, there are rules for what happens WHEN someone is surprised, but not for how it is achieved. There are a few powers/feats/stuff that do create ways, but in general the rules leave it up to the GM to determine in a loose way. In fact you could simply use a purely narrative technique if you wished, it would be in keeping with the rules.

Remove ads