Pathfinder 1E Advanced Class Guide Playtest Rules

paradox42

First Post
Per Jason Bulmahn, Arcanist is being rebuilt to have an arcane reservoir, which can be used to generate certain magical effects (from a selected list, a la rogue talents). As they progress, they can use their spell slots to fill this reservoir, deconstruct magic items to fill it, and eventually break down currently existing spell effects to fill it (example given being a wall of fire). Still keeps the spellcasting mechanism, so I'm excited to see the changes.
These sound like changes worthy of a whole new class. The spellcasting alone really wasn't.

Thotas

First Post
This has nothing to do with the game mechanics, but it's an aesthetic issue that I want to address up front: I hate the name "Brawler" for the Monk/Fighter hybrid. To me, a brawler is some big lout who relies on his size and belligerence to win fights, pretty much the opposite of the master of techniques. Pugilist, maybe? There's got to be something better than Pugilist. But Pugilist is better than Brawler.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
These sound like changes worthy of a whole new class. The spellcasting alone really wasn't.
I agree. While I love the mechanic, I think it would have been fine as an archetype added to wizards and sorcerers. Although I'd like to see it expanded to more classes, honestly. I think it would work really well with the new shaman, for example.

Kinak

First Post
Per Jason Bulmahn, Arcanist is being rebuilt to have an arcane reservoir, which can be used to generate certain magical effects (from a selected list, a la rogue talents). As they progress, they can use their spell slots to fill this reservoir, deconstruct magic items to fill it, and eventually break down currently existing spell effects to fill it (example given being a wall of fire). Still keeps the spellcasting mechanism, so I'm excited to see the changes.
Thanks for the news. This sounds pretty sweet.

Cheers!
Kinak

Greg K

Legend
Having looked over the classes some more.
Arcanist: Mixed on it. Some things I like. A couple of things I don't.

Investigator: So, I figured out my dislike for the class- alchemy. I like everything about the class except alchemy. Then again, I am not a fan of the Alchemist class for the style of campaigns that I run.

Skald: I still don't care for it. I don't mind inspiring rage, but it is enough for me. To me, a Skald will need Facinate, Inspire Courage, and the Court Bard's Satire and Mockery. Inspire Greatness might be a good addition as well.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
As I read thru the Advanced Class Guide, I can't help but come to the conclusion that some of these new classes would make people not interested in playing some of the base classes.

Investigator trumps Rogue in everything a Rogue does. Sure, it's 6+INT skillpoints per level, but with the inspiration ability, you can break the skillpoint cap for skills and you can do so on the fly instead of preselecting. Slightly slower Sneak Attack progression will be noticeable in the early levels, but only slightly because you're adding a list of spell buffs to make up for it and you can add inspiration to attack (and saves!). One of the Investigator Talents is "Rogue Talent", so you have the entire Rogue list and then some, only losing the advanced ones. It seems

Investigator= Rogue - small things + decent spellcasting + buff everything on the fly.

With this package, I can't think of any reason someone would want to play a Rogue anymore.

Brawler leads me to believe Monk is obsolete. Full BAB, all the Monk basics, none of the Monk fluff, and floating feat selection providing tons of flexibility. Who'd want to go back to punching people the same old Monk way?

Arcanist seems to trump Sorcerer. Still have a Bloodline, some extra feats like a Wizard, better spell selection. Not sure why anyone would play Sorcerer after this, and it's even an appealing trade off instead of Wizard.

I'm still wrapping my head around some of the other classes, but these are my conclusions so far.

Last edited:

sheadunne

Explorer
Investigator trumps Rogue in everything a Rogue does. Sure, it's 6+INT skillpoints per level, but with the inspiration ability, you can break the skillpoint cap for skills and you can do so on the fly instead of preselecting. Slightly slower Sneak Attack progression will be noticeable in the early levels, but only slightly because you're adding a list of spell buffs to make up for it and you can add inspiration to attack (and saves!). One of the Investigator Talents is "Rogue Talent", so you have the entire Rogue list and then some, only losing the advanced ones. With this package, I can't think of any reason someone would want to play a Rogue anymore.

Wasn't the rogue already replaced by the Alchemist, Bard, Ranger, or Ninja? The question is, does the investigator replace all of those other replacements?

Brawler leads me to believe Monk is obsolete. Full BAB, all the Monk basics, none of the Monk fluff, and floating feat selection providing tons of flexibility. Who'd want to go back to punching people the same old Monk way?

I wasn't a fan of the monk anyway, so it'll be nice to have an alternative, especially if it's better than the weak previous monk.

mr_outsidevoice

First Post
Random thoughts from an infrequent poster

Arcanist:I like the spellcasting mechanic. The class features were weak and I look forward to the changes. If Sorcerers are raw talent of Arcane Magic, Wizards the Scientists/Engineers, the revised Arcanists might become the Mad Scientists/Macgyers.

Bloodrager:It seems fun. Casting only while raging means the class will have little to do or contribute in non-combat scenarios

Brawler:I dig quite a bit. The flexibility of the Feats or Feat chains for a combat appeals to me so you can have the right trick for the environment and scenario. And you can try a feat on for size without having to commit a permanent feat slot for it.

Hunter:I have no major opinion on it. I am not a fan of Animal companions as a whole, so I wouldn't play a class dedicated to the concept.

Investigator:Sweet mystery of life at last I found you. For me, this is one of the best Out of Combat Classes I have seen. The Rogue is better in a fight, but i would rather play an Investigator in dungeon delves.

Shaman:It is a divine class I might want to play. The flexibility of Wandering Spirit/Hexes means you can adjust to more scenarios. I hope they get a more customized spell list and not just the Cleric List.

Skald:Full of Meh. It needs to be better in combat in weapons allowed or spells on list. Maybe more aggressive effects from Bloodsong.

Slayer:I like this build and I missed the Skirmisher from D&D, nice to see it re-skinned.

Warpriest:Just give it 4th level spells and let it have Full BAB progression, or even no spells but more blessings like Magus Arcana and Channels.

Remove ads