• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Advancing a character

svwilson

First Post
I'm looking for suggestions on how to improve a character as he advances.

My character Phil is Fighter 2, Sorcerer 2, STR 10, DEX 13, and Weapon Finesse: Short Sword. His 1st-level spells are Shield and True Strike, and somewhere he managed to get a wand of Haste.

I was working on the premise that Sorcerer is a good secondary class for anyone; in this case, that a fighter using the right spells or items could make up for a so-so Strength.

At first, using True Strike while hasted seemed to be really clever: he could attack at +20 every round. But even so, it still provokes an AOO. Besides: he still has no damage bonus, and he's using a short sword.

My GM may let me start over, but I'd rather work with what I've got, especially now that it's time for Phil to take a new level. Maybe I should take a level of Rogue so he can get sneak attack. (Eventually I could get Power Attack, which lets him translate a high attack bonus into damage. Especially good with True Strike, no?)

Any thoughts?

Grazzt

Demon Lord
svwilson said:

At first, using True Strike while hasted seemed to be really clever: he could attack at +20 every round.

:eek: Every round? True strike only counts on a single attack roll.

Mr Fidgit

First Post
why don't you give us the rest of your PC's stats and feats, svwilson. this may give a better idea on what advice to give on advancement.

svwilson

First Post
why don't you give us the rest of your PC's stats and feats, svwilson. this may give a better idea on what advice to give on advancement.

Okay:

STR 10, DEX 16, CON 13, INT 12, WIS 10, CHR 15.
Race: Elf
Feats: Combat Reflexes, Point Blank Shot, Weapon Finesse (Short Sword), Weapon Focus (Short Sword).

Skills: Tumbling, Listen, Spot, Spellcraft, all really low. (He's only 4th level).

MeepoTheMighty

First Post
You could go with either fighter or rogue, either one would work well. Personally, I'd probably take a couple more levels of fighter and try to pick up Ambidexterity and Two-Weapon fighting, and then switch to rogue for the sneak attack. Basically, the lower your strength, the more beneficial it is for you to do two-weapon fighting.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
You have a big problem: XP penalties for multiclassing.

If you take levels of Rogue, you're going to have to keep all the levels within one of each other if you don't want to be hit by as much as a 60% XP penalty!

(Bad character: elf Rogue 1/Fighter 3/Sorcerer 5)

As it is, you should probably stick with just Fighter & Sorcerer, advancing both at a reasonable level. If you can find a suitable prestige class, then take that!

You should be looking to gain 4th level as a Sorcerer, because then you can use Bull's Strength & Cat's Grace to help your fighting skills greatly.

Cheers!

Agback

Explorer
MerricB said:
You have a big problem: XP penalties for multiclassing.

(Bad character: elf Rogue 1/Fighter 3/Sorcerer 5)

Elf Rogue 2/Fighter 2/Sorcerer 4 is just as bad. According to PHB p56 the 20% experience penalty is for each class that is "not within one level of his most experienced class".

Regards,

Agback

LostSoul

Adventurer
svwilson said:
Feats: Combat Reflexes, Point Blank Shot, Weapon Finesse (Short Sword), Weapon Focus (Short Sword).

Take Power Attack so your Haste/True Strike combo can dish out loads of damage.

I don't think you're optimized for Fighter, so stop advancing there once you hit 4th level (weapon specialization).

S'mon

Legend
Elf fighter-sorcerer is far from an optimal combination due to the multiclassing penalties. This character is never going to be a powerhouse, and you can't even just take fighter levels (leaving Sorc level low) because of the XP penalty. In the short term he can be made a viable jack-of-all-trades by taking Rogue, then other classes if allowed - Ranger, maybe Bard, even Cleric (for the healing). At least BABs stack, so something like Ranger 3/Fighter 3/Rogue 3/Sorc 2 isn't too bad. Getting the Fighter level to 4 (for weapon spec) and the Sorc level to 4 (for a 2nd level spell - mirror image is a good combat-enhancer) are reasonable goals also. Long-term, Ranger 5/Fighter 5/Rogue 5/Sorc 4 would make a reasonable scout type who can hold his own in a fight. A handy prestige class could also present a way out of your fix (maybe swashbuckler or duellist?).

Still, he'll always be noticeably weaker than a single-classed PC and he won't be able to compete in heavy damage dealing, so if the game is likely to go to high levels maybe you should just retire him now and try a straight Fighter with decent STR? :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads