Weird character advancement idea

This isn't weird at all.

Weird is something like gaining level up benefits by rolling on a d100 table, determining level up bonus via Pleton performance, or a leveling scheme inspired by Kpop.

pemerton

Legend
@Andvari

In Torchbearer 2nd ed, all characters and creatures have a Might rating. Extended conflicts are resolved via a structure framework of simultaneous declaration that is a bit rock/paper/scissors. Dice pools are d6, 4+ is a success, 3- is a failure. Having higher Might than one's opponent, in a kill, capture or drive off conflict, gives a bonus success - so it's as if your dice pool was bigger.

It's not the same as your system, but has a modest resemblance. It's not trivial for PCs to boost Might, but there can be effects that do so (eg a mithril sword, or a spell or blessing, might give +1 Might).

Tony Vargas

Legend
Weird is something like gaining level up benefits by rolling on a d100 table,
In the original Gamma World (1978) you did randomly roll the benefit you gained from leveling up. Not on %, I think it was d20? But still.

Aslo original GW, nothing to do with leveling, but if you want a WTF mechanic...
1697830529833.png

Tony Vargas

Legend
Original Gamma World was the first thing I went back and paleo-gamed, I ran a wild, ridiculous game at a convention called Danger In Lect City like 20 years ago, I did that for a few years, even had a small group that'd do GW 1 or 4 a time or two a year for a while.
The latest Gamma World was that kind of whacky fun, too.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Original Gamma World was the first thing I went back and paleo-gamed, I ran a wild, ridiculous game at a convention called Danger In Lect City like 20 years ago, I did that for a few years, even had a small group that'd do GW 1 or 4 a time or two a year for a while.
The latest Gamma World was that kind of whacky fun, too.
I forget if it was 2nd Edition or 3rd edition Gama World, but it was set up a lot like 2e D&D was, but you started out with many hit dice worth of hit points and the list of mutations was very large. It was my favorite edition.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I forget if it was 2nd Edition or 3rd edition Gama World, but it was set up a lot like 2e D&D was, but you started out with many hit dice worth of hit points and the list of mutations was very large. It was my favorite edition.
Prolly 2nd, it was a lot like 1st, including the high HP to start (your CON score was your HD, in essence), 3rd used the... face rip... FASERIP? system from the original Marvel Super Heroes. 4th was back to D&D-like. 5th Alternity, 6th d20Modern by S&SStudios, "Omega World" 3e-like with HP/'Reserves,' and 7th 4e-like but with :shudder: collectible cards...

1,2,4, & 7 were "good," as was Omega World, which was a mini game in an issue of Dungeon Magazine. (OK, 4 and 7 were arguably good, 1st was a glorious mess, and 2nd didn't clean it up much, fortunately)

This isn't weird at all.

Weird is something like gaining level up benefits by rolling on a d100 table, determining level up bonus via Pleton performance, or a leveling scheme inspired by Kpop.
Now I want a kpop star battle rpg where you take existing moves from other kpop bands as you level up...

Remove ads