• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Adventure] A Call for Lovers (DM: jbear Judge:Lord Sessadore)

jbear

First Post
Orlando clears his throat and takes a step forward. "Thank you Rain. Indeed I would be eager to hear... But before you speak, Ragnar, know this. If I ... if we die ... our souls, entwined, would flee back my tomb, to the place I built for mine and Caerwyn's souls to rest for eternity. Our souls, mine and Orlando's, are incomplete - part of each resides within the fiend, Kalbon. An unusual circumstance ... and given the old spells I have laid upon my Garden ... neither of our souls could simply leave. So ... killing the boy would be pointless. You may have delayed the process slightly, but that is all. It would have been only a matter of timebefore Soryth and Kalbon discovered the souls in the tomb once more. Yet, it is not all bad. It also means that slaying Kalbon and Soryth can be done without fear of losing the parts of our souls which they harbour within themselves.

Orlando/Porpherio falls silent, allowing time for his words to sink in. Ragnar sits, his brooding face resting upon the bridge of his folded hands. "So ... the souls would have stayed on the island you say ... Then ... killing the young human was pointless ... an ill conceived plot after all." His eyes move to regard the adventurers who stood in the way of such a pointless tragedy, his features softening a touch.

Uma, who might deservedly look triumphant lowers her gaze instead and adds in a soft voice "Since the tangled souls remain intact outside the Shadowfell, safe from true death, the Fountain All Heal could, with all certainty, restore all to its proper order."
She stands and Ragnar stands a moment later. The two fey regard each other in a solemn silence for a long while.

"We have been careless," Uma says at last.
"And let that hag play us for fools," says Ragnar.
"I am sorry we bickered foolishly," Uma says.
"Vengeance shall alleviate my shame," Ragnar says. He turns to regard you once more. ''These strangers have opened our eyes and proven themselves cunning champions."
"As well as able heroes," says Uma. "Able heroes who can go places from which we are now forbidden. And this one, the mirror opposite of evil Kalbon's devilry all ready offers without even being asked. "
Ragnar considers her words and allows himself a feral grin. "The Palace of Spires is barred to us, but these bold ones have proven that they can bridge gaps we cannot. They even speak well of Basal ... I have never heard of anyone speak well of Basal except myself..." Ragnar looks and sees Sir Flibbertigibbet for the first time. "And where have you been? I haven't seen you since Sir Oakstaff was telling me about .... You wouldn't have flown off and interfered without my per..."
"Now, now Ragnar, that's enough. I am sure it was all for the best. Besides, as an outsider it may be possible that the curse has not affected him either. But I am distracted .... So, does the tiefling speak for all of you? Well, what say you?" asks Uma as she extends her hand and smiles. "WIll you do this thing? Would you care to have us in your debt?"

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
"She speaks, if not for me, then with me, my lady," Sabynha steps forward in a sweeping bow, "I have come on the behest of one from our world to put a stop to hostilities there, but I cannot return without setting things right here as well, for those goals are one and the same. And personally, I cannot abide to see these lovers driven apart by strife."

She paused and regarded Orlando/Porpherio with compassion and empathy for his plight.

"As for Sir Flibbertigibbet, lord Ragnar, we would be standing before you not as champions, but as prisoners if not for him. Your loyal servant Basal would surely have defeated us and dragged us before you in chains to do with as you will." The vistani was trying not to lay it on too thick, but in her experience, it never hurt to pay compliments when they were deserved. Especially if they deflected from minor and well-intentioned transgressions.

"It is to Basal's credit though that we would still be alive; for all his cunning, he is still bound by his own honour, and he swore not to kill us until after presenting us to you. I doubted him, but now know him to be true; he could easily have killed me in battle. Such allies are deserving of the rewards of their masters."

"So, yes, I will do my part in this. I do not want to speak for the others, but for me, I will."
Still a bit wobbly from her last battle, and not wanting to seem too self-important, the vistani decided to wrap up her speech. "Know that I do not seek your debt though, only the chance to return someday as a friend and ally of your courts."

Neil1889

First Post
"Lady Uma, your servant Shandra helped saved us on many occasion, but was sorely hurt bravely contesting Basal's approach by herself. If this Fountain All Heal can help, then let us take her to it, " Rain says.

Mewness

First Post
"--You wouldn't have flown off and interfered without my per..."

"Not at all, my dear lord, not at all," says Sir Flibbertigibbet, fluttering over to Ragnar's side and speaking so rapidly that he overlaps with the others' remarks in his defense. "I merely anticipated your lordship's august wishes, as you see; for despite your lordship's great wisdom in sending such a very incompetent assassin to kill this innocent lad--you will no doubt observe, my lady Uma, that the great oaf is quite incapable of killing anything but a good time--and thus ensuring his survival, it might nevertheless have been possible for the poor fellow to suffer an unfortunate accident, which I therefore sought to prevent." Despite this pretty speech, the pixie sounds very much as though he is hiding something.

[sblock=ooc]Sir Flibbertigibbet speaks very quickly, and in an annoying tone of voice, in an attempt to make Ragnar irritated with him. Damn these new friends of his for speaking so well of him ;)[/sblock]

jbear

First Post
"No one asked you to do anything! Most annoying amongst the creatures that leaves an itching bite! Grr... Stick your nose in will you? Well then we shall see how you fare against the witch's curse! You will accompany these brave heroes and do as they bid! And THAT is an ORDER!" Ragnar turns a rather purple shade of green as he vents his anger upon the diminutive winged man.

Uma interrupts, her voice calm and smooth, like a blade cutting through cake. "We will care for your companion and mend what has been broken. Do not fear. It will be as though it never happened. I will look after her myself. As for the Fountain of All Heal, do this thing, defeat the Hag and her Devil, and you shall be allowed to drink from the fountain yourself! This will grant you any boon you might wish for. Normally drinking the fountain binds a soul to this island until their death, but I believe I can bend the laws of that certain curse in your favour."

Treebeard nods gravely. "Yes, an appropriate reward indeed to drink from the Fountain."

"Speaking of rewards"continues Ragnar, somewhat calmer now, "Basal ... you have been bested I believe. You will reward our new friends appropriately. "

Basal turns greener. "But I gave the girl my..." A single look from the Fey Leader cuts off his protest. Scowling he pulls a cut of the finest silk from his pocket and tosses it to Rain. In her hands it changes colour, and soon she realises it is a magical cape of some sort, its colour changing to suit her taste. Ragnar continues to glare at him. With a huff Basal takes a healing potion from his pouch and hands it to Wat. Ragnar smiles at last.

GM: Rain receives Cape of the Mountebank +1
Wat receives a Healing Potion

"You should understand" continues Uma, "That Soryth can yet gain power over the island. If she and Kalbon absorb the souls in their entirety, they will gain mastery over the isle and the Fountain All Heal. Such an ocurrence would spell disaster of cosmic proportions."

Ragnar continues "The Palace of Spires, where the Hag now resides, is a demiplane. The Summer Fey, the Green Fey, and creatures native to this isle cannot enter it. My Mosquito is not of this place and so should be free of the curse ... or maybe not. To gain entry, you will have to navigate the palace's bramble maze to its center, and then use the keys you have gathered on the sundial."

"Experience has shown that Soryth has influence over some of the island's natives. It's very likely she has even more power over those within the Palace of Spires. Do not hesitate to dispatch any evil fey she commands but I beg you spare any charmed creatures within the palace."

Ragnar scoffs at Uma's plea. "War is war," he bellows. "If something stands in your way, cut it down and carry on. More is at stake than a few meaningless lives. When you defeat Soryth, the curse must end, and the way will be open to us once more."
Uma scowls at Ragnar ... if looks could kill... but says nothing more. "We will know when the curse is lifted and we will come to you as quickly as possible. From there we will take you to the Fountain of All Heal."
"You are brave to undertake this quest," Ragnar says. "Your chances of survival against Soryth are slim."
"Yet you are this island's last hope," Uma says. "If only we possessed something that once belonged to the hag, even a token, we could use it against her."
"No such luck, witch," says Ragnar.

Last edited:

jbear

First Post
"Let me see that Hand of Joven" rumbles Oakstaff, the massive ent reaching Wat in two strides. He reaches down with branch like fingers and plucks Wat's staff from his hand and brings it close to his eye. "Oh yes! This will do! This will do just fine! Uma, Ragnar, to me" Uma and Ragnar gather around Oakstaff who places the staff in the middle of them. The three begin to intone in a voice that is more rushing river and rustling woods than words. The bloodstone flares a bright red and Uma hands the staff back to Wat which now hums with fey power.

"Until the next moonrise, if you wield this token before Soryth, you shall suffer less at her hands. Display it so she can see it, and she shall know fear before you strike."

GM: Wat's staff temporarily gains the following property and power:

Property: You and allies within 10 squares of you gain a +2 bonus to saving throws against charm effects, fear effects, and illusion effects. You and such allies also take a -2 penalty to attack rolls
against one another .

Utility Power (fear) • Daily (Minor Action)
Effect: Until the end of your next turn, enemies within 10 squares of you that use powers that have the charm, fear, or illusion keyword take a -4 penalty to attack rolls with those powers
and cannot score critical hits.

"I suggest we head towards this maze" interrupts Orlando.
"You are not going anywhere human prince" counters Ragnar, an edge in his voice.
"Ragnar is right, Orlando. Although you could enter the Palace of Spires it would be just what the hag wanted. If things were to go awry we would have given you up to her, making her task to absorb your soul completely even easier."
"But ..."
"No buts. You will remain with us. As soon as Soryth falls we will take you to your love" Uma cuts off Orlando's protest emphatically sending him into a brooding silence.

From a word from Ragnar the fey begin to make camp on the spot. Uma and Ragnar thank you once more for your bravery and wish you good luck before retiring with Oakstaff to discuss matters
and make amends for their conflict.

A small group of fey guide you to the edge of the maze that leads to the Palace of Spires, so that the characters can set out immediately upon waking. The fey help the party set up two tents, then depart.

GM: Let me know of any further preparations you want to make as you prepare to take an extended rest

Last edited:

Mewness

First Post
Sir Flibbertigibbet looks exceedingly crestfallen as Ragnar shouts at him, and remains uncharacteristically silent during the subsequent proceedings, watching with a hangdog look. However, it is possible to notice, especially when Ragnar is not paying any attention, that Sir Flibbertigibbet looks just a little bit pleased with himself.

"It appears that, once again, I am at your service, as the mighty Lord Ragnar has decreed that these charming ladies must endure my company a while longer," says Sir Flibbertigibbet as the group makes its way to the tents. "Which is odd, as his ire seemed directed rather more at me, than at you; but we can be confident that there is some reason for it, as my Lord Ragnar's wisdom is unimpeachable."

[sblock=ooc]I can't think of any particular preparations to make. Sir Flibbertigibbet is ready for anything =)[/sblock]

Neil1889

First Post
Rain had been taken aback when the silk cape had been thrown her way. She'd bowed as custom dictated and thanked both of the fey in return. The cape soon settled into the colours that Rain always wore, a dark blue on one side and a bright white on the other, but with a golden trim on the hem.

After the march, Rain wasn't too thrilled with camping outside the maze, though.

"The chance to rest is welcome, but we should keep a watch. Also, I have a task to perform first."

Rain settles down in to the lotus position, with two longswords in front of her. She picks up the nearest longsword first. It is the blade that, Dahn, her master of Sword magic, had thrown at her on that first painful lesson. Rain mutters an arcane chant for a while before placing it back down, but now places it as the furthest longsword away from her.

Into her left hand, the tiefling then takes up the jewelled sword that had been found near those dreadful trees. Was that really the same day? It felt so long ago. As she lays it to rest in her lap, Rain begins to commune with the spellblade, her fingers tracing the longsword's shape as her mind seeks out the history of the sword, whilst at the same time entwining the essence of her own within it.

[sblock=Game stuff]Rain will bind the Farbond Spellblade +1 to her instead of the old longsword she's carried through training.

Swordbond – Bond with one blade (1 hour to do so): standard action to call it to hand within 10 squares; fix it in 1 hour.[/sblock]

Neil1889

First Post
"You are most welcome Sir Flibbertigibbet," says Zuri "but I find it strange that you aren't bound in the witch's magic like the other island's fey are."

Remove ads