[Adventure] A Call for Lovers (DM: jbear Judge:Lord Sessadore)

Neil1889

First Post
Rain moves with Wat, not too far off and covering his flank, "Right with you. If it is something that this Basal has left there..."

Rain quietly fumes, still unsettled by Ragnar's apparent tyranny.

[sblock=perception roll]Yay, a ten. [/sblock]

Last edited:

jbear

First Post
GM: Can I get perception checks for Zuri, and Sabynha; from dramatic purposes Gray auto crit fails this check.
Everyone roll perception while you are at it. Gray rolls a 1 on his initiative as well.

Also, unfortunately guys, it may take me a little while to get this combat up and running. I'll try my best to find the time, but I can't promise anything. Thank you for your patience.

Neil1889

First Post
An alert Zuri follows behind, a dagger in one hand and a loaded hand crossbow in the other.

[sblock=Perception check for Zuri]23. A bit better than Rain's ten, anyway. :) [/sblock].

jbear

First Post
The party cautiously enter the clearing and approach the jewelled sword wary of danger. As they do, Gray holds out his hands before him and his eyes grow wide. "I can feel something ... someone ... close nearby! It ... it ... it feels like her... the lady I saw in my dreams! It's okay! It's safe! She must be calling to me." Excited, but dead wrong with his conclusions, Gray bolts forward just as Wat's alarm bells begin ringing. "Wait! Gray, you fool!" But the monk pays no heed. Sabynha, sensing no danger chuckles and goes after him. In order to cover them Rain also follows.

Zuri, tense but silent draws her dagger and hisses "There is something in the trees!" Wat calls out again "Not only in the trees, there is something wrong with the trees!!" But by that stage Gray had already walked into danger and dragged his companions along with him.

[sblock=What Wat spotted initially] The trees here are mostly old oaks with mistletoe among their branches.
Green vines that have crimson thorns lurk among the roots of two trees here. In the branches of one of the humanoid-shaped oaks is a shiny object. You identify the trees contain Bloodthorn vines, semi sentient plant creatures that feed on the blood of other living creatures [/sblock]

[sblock=What Zuri spotted and drew Wat's attention to] The humanoid-shaped trees have tiny wooden protrusions that look out of place. Wat then identifies that these are Barkburrs, non sentient mobile plants that can inject a lignifying (petrifying) poison into victims who come too close. [/sblock]

GM: Sorry I meant can I get everyone to roll initiative while you are at it.

Monsters have Surprise, but will most likely lose initiative:
Monster Initiative: 8

Surprise Actions follow; I am taking liberties here to write Gray out of the story btw

As soon as Gray stops to look about, only a few paces from the jewelled sword, the plantlife bursts to life. His body is struck both from the front and from behind as deadly sharp wooden burrs fire from the bark of the gnarled tree, piercing his back and neck. Coughing, his eyes wide with disbelief as a fuzz begins to grow incredibly fast across his skin and hardening like bark all too swiftly.

From the nearby trees humanoid like vines rush to lash out at Sabynha and Rain. Moments later, from the other side of the clearing an elf rushes into the area, blade in hand, with a war cry on her lips.

GM: I'm not going to roll atks vs Gray or saving throws. Atks hit, and saving throws fail. But the elf that appeared from the other side of the Glade is your new PC, Shandra, CFW, so that is your cue to enter.

NB: We will have to work out the details of the how, when why of her appearance here before she shares that with the other PCs. But we will do that via PM. All of here background is fine except the link to our adventure, but it will just need some tweaking for it to work.

[sblock=Combat]
Bloodthorn vine 1 charges Sabynha: 24 vsAC=Hit 13 dmg
Bloodthorn vine 2 charges Rain: 24 vs AC=Hit 9 dmg
[/sblock]

[sblock=Monsters]
Bloodthorn Vines AC 18 F/R/W 15/12/14 MBA: +7 1d8+5 dmg
Barkburr trees ???
[/sblock]

[sblock=Wat's Knowledge] Wat realises attacks against Barkburrs would be useless (Hazard not Monster)
He also sense that those with some primal knowledge (Nature) could possibly sooth the Barkburr trees though this communication would require a physical connection

Minor Action DC 21 (Nature) to have Barkburrs cease their attacks; Requires 3 successful attempts
Can do as a Standard Action at DC 13

Minor Action DC 13 (Nature) Stop Barkburr attacking this turn [/sblock]
Barkburrs Round 1.PNG

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
[sblock=Initiative]1d20+4=24[/sblock]
Sabynha's calm was shattered by the sudden and brutal attack on Gray; she cried out, even as the bloodthorn appeared beside her, stinging her sharply. "Aaaah! Watch out, friends!"

Fortunately, she recovered from the shock rather quickly, and leapt into action. She drew her blade as she begun her skirt-twirling dance of blades, and made a flurry of stinging quick cuts at the bloodthorn vine, attempting to keep it at bay. She tried to keep her distance from it and its writhing, stinging vines.

This newcomer to the glade - and the question if it was it friendly, or not - would have to be dealt with later. For now, Sabynha tried to buy some time to catch her breath and tend to her allies.

[sblock=actions]Minor Action: Activate Focused Discipline stance (tactics - if I hit, shift 1 square)
Move Action -> Minor Action: Draw sword
Standard Action: Attack adjacent bloodthorn vine 1d20+8=26 Hit. 1d6+6=8 8 damage.
Free Action 1: Invoke Lesser Flash of Distraction - target is dazed UEONT
Free Action 2: Shift to J7[/sblock]
[Sblock=stats]Sabynha Half-elf Skald Bard 2+
Initiative +4
Passive Insight 21 Passive Perception 16; Senses Low-light Vision
Skald's Aura (Healing, Martial) aura 5; see below.
HP 25/33 (0 thp) Bloodied 16 Surge Value 8; Surges 8/10
AC 18 Fortitude 14 Reflex 16 Will 16
Saving Throws [+0]
Action Points 0
Speed 6

Powers

Focused Discipline - Active;
tactics - shift 1 as free action when I hit with MBA
Song of Savagery
Song of Serendipity

Skald's Aura - Active, 2 heals remaining
Knack For Success
Words of Friendship
Sly Dodge
Lesser Flash of Distraction (spent)
Cautionary Tale or Disruptive Words
Inspire Competence
Hero's Armour Daily Power [/Sblock]

Neil1889

First Post
Zuri slashed at the plant-man that just attacked Sabynha and gave it a bit of a pruning.

"What are these things?"

[sblock=initiative]Zuri's initiative in the plant glade = 21 [/sblock]

[sblock=Zuri's actions]Standard action: Zuri attacks Bloodthorn Vine 1 in square H7 - dazed, so it grants Combat Advantage to her Riposte Strike - Total to Hit = 28. Damage, including sneak attack = 15.

(if target attacks before eont make a MBA against it as Imm. Interrupt.)

Move action: Shift to I7 (space vacated by Sabynha).[/sblock]

[sblock=Zuri Stats]
Eladrin Rogue lvl 2
+ 5 THP 29/+ 5 THP 29 HPs 7/7 surges Surge Value 7 (8) (Moonstone Gem added)
AC 17 F/R/W 13/17/14
Init +5 Speed 6
Str 14 Con 12 Dex 18 Int 14 Wis 10 Cha 14

MBA: Dagger +7, 1d4+3 dmg
RBA: Dagger +9, 1d4+5 dmg, 5/10; Rebounding Handcrossbow +1 +8, 1d6+5 dmg

Skills: Stealth +10, Thievery +10, Athletics +8, Bluff +10, Intimidate +8, Streetwise +8, Arcana +5, History +5, Perception +6
Feats: Weapon Focus: Light Blades; Backstabber

[sblock=At Will Powers]
Riposte Strike: +9 vs AC; 1d4+5 dmg and if target attacks before eont make a MBA against it as Imm. Interrupt
Disheartening Strike: Melee: +9 vs AC; 1d4+5 dmg and target takes -2 to atks TENT
(Ranged: +8 vs AC; 1d6+5)
Sneak Attack: +2d8+2 dmg 1/turn when Zuri hits with CAdv
[/sblock]
[sblock=Encounter Powers]
Guarded Attack: Melee: +9 vs AC; 2d4+5 dmg and if target attacks before eont make a MBA against it as Imm. Interrupt and the target takes a -2 penalty to triggering attack roll [ ]
Fey Step [ ]
Sneak in the attack: (minor; melee 1) Until start of Zuri's next turn the next ally who hits the target with CAdv deals 2d8+2 extra dmg
[/sblock]
[sblock=Daily Powers]
Precise Incision: (Reliable) +9 vs AC; 3d4+5 dmg [ ]
[/sblock][/sblock]

Rain stoically took the blow from the charging plant and swung her blade back at it, taking some of its upper limbs off. She put herself into a stance to counteratack any moves that it might make.

[sblock=initiative]Rain's initiative in the plant glade = 20 [/sblock]

[sblock=Rain's actions]Standard action: Booming Blade at Bloodthorn Vine 2 in square L7 - Total to Hit = 19. Damage = 9.

Booming Blade (At Will Standard Melee 1 ✦ Arcane, Thunder, Weapon)
Target: One creature
Attack: +8 vs. AC
Hit: 1d8+4 damage and if the target is adjacent to you at the start of its next turn and moves away during that turn, it takes 1d6+3 Thunder damage.

Feat - White Lotus Riposte: When an enemy that you've hit with an Arcane At-Will attack power attacks you before the start of your next turn, that enemy takes damage (of the same type the attack power deals) equal to the ability modifier to the attack power’s damage.

Minor action: Mark the southern Barkburr or failing that Bloodthorn Vine 2 with
Aegis of Shielding (Minor Close burst 2 ✦ Arcane)
Target: One creature in burst
Effect: You mark the target. The target remains marked until you use this power against another target. If you mark other creatures using other powers, the target is still marked. A creature can be subject to only one mark at a time. A new mark supersedes a mark that was already in place. If your marked target makes an attack that does not include you as a target, it takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls. If that attack hits and the marked target is within 10 squares of you, you can use an Immediate Interrupt to reduce the damage dealt by that attack to any one creature by 8 points of damage.

Potential Immediate Actions:
Infernal Wrath (Encounter Free Close burst 10 ✦ Fire)
Target: The triggering enemy in the burst
Trigger: An enemy within 10 squares of you hits you.
Effect: The target takes 1d6+4 fire damage.

Rain will use the above against any attacks that hit from her opponent.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Ministats]
Rain

Female Tiefling Swordmage, Level 2.
Initiative: +2, Passive Perception: 10, Passive Insight: 11. Senses: Low-light vision.
AC: 21, Fort: 14, Reflex: 15, Will: 15.
HP: 33/37 +5 THP, Bloodied: 18, Surge Value: 9 (10 with Moonstone Gem), Surges left: 8/11
Speed: 6 squares. Size: Medium. Languages: Tsugo, Allarian.
Saving Throw Bonuses: Nothing to report.
Action Points: 0
Powers:
Infernal Wrath
Second Wind
Guardian's Counter
Aegis of Shielding
Sword Burst
Booming Blade
Sword of Sigils
Dimensional Thunder
Arcane Mutterings
Leather Armour of Aegis Expansion - Encounter Power