• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Adventure] Dungeons and Them (DM:johnmeier1, judge:????)

johnmeier1

Explorer
Auntie Mab leads the group, only missing Max, back into the dining room. They are followed by the Earl sans servants. The room has a large table in it with only two chairs set against it, one at each end. Other chairs stand at the sides of the room. In from the foyer through the open doorway there is a gasp. It comes from a old man, who seems to have some odd blood in his heritage. Two bumps are raised on his forehead and his skin is a dusky gray, not brown, and his hair is shock white, not gray. A look of stunned horror is on his face.

The Earl quickly steps forward. It's alright Rana. Randall and I recruited these as our guards from Daunton. Don't let their appearance confuse you he explains.

Rana seems to calm for a moment, then seeming to remember something a look of grave concern fills his face. Milord, I am sorry to bring this news to you but I have just been to your chambers. You see, the door has been broken down and your remaining treasury is gone! I thought these might be the culprits he says, looking warily at the group.

jkason

First Post
Devinihm, wilden druid

Devinihm studies the new servant, trying to judge his honesty, but if humans were difficult for him to read, humans with other bloods mixed in seemed much moreso. He felt a brief twinge of longing for the mangroves, where the motives of a creature were easier to read.

"To the bedroom, then," he says. "The not-lizardmen-or-kobold-or-dragon may have gone there next, yes?"

After a brief pause he adds, a bit more softly, "This bedroom can't be worse than the last we searched, no? This one's owner is not torn in two."

Last edited:

johnmeier1

Explorer
With a nod from the Earl and a look of continued unease from Rana, the group is lead back into the foyer and up the stairs along the wall. Above are branching corridors where the Earl takes the right immediately and comes to a door that is indeed off one hinge gaping open. He moves quickly inside and looks about. The room does not look very disturbed at first glance, but some items seem to be out of place. The Earl himself is staring at a spot next to his bed with an expression of intense dismay. There are two windows, but their apertures seem only half a foot across.

[sblock=jkason] Rana seems actually concerned for the welfare of the Earl and simply thrown by your presence[/sblock]

pacdidj

First Post
"This bedroom can't be worse than the last we searched, no? This one's owner is not torn in two."

"Oh my, what a gruesome sight that was!," says Auntie Mab, recalling her last home-invasion investigation. "Looks like more of a straightforward robbery, this one. Was it important what they took dearie?," she asks the Earl as she surveys the room shrewdly. "Hmm... let's see if Auntie can use her great divinatory powers to gather more details about the kitchen and bedroom plunderer."

Focusing her inner sight (read: drawing upon years of experience breaking and entering), Mab surveys the displaced items in the room to determine if the looter(s) knew what they were after, how many of them there were, and if they left by the door they came in or some other method. The methods they used prove unfamiliar to Mab, but she gathers what details she can...

Thievery (1d20+16=18)

Last edited:

johnmeier1

Explorer
Well answers the Earl They have taken my check which contained the most valuable of remaining items in the treasury as well as most of my remaining gold I hadn't taken with me. I see nothing else gone actually. He begins to look around the rest of the room.

[sblock=pacdidj] The door was obviously forced because it was locked, so they were not let in. However you think that with the little evidence of a search they either knew what to take OR took the most obvious target - the chest at the foot of the bed[/sblock]

jkason

First Post
Devinihm, wilden druid

After seeing the state of the doors, Devinihm is mildly relieved to see the minimal chaos in the bedroom itself. He looks near where the chest was taken, trying to find more of those odd footprints. The thief did step in flour after all, he thinks, and that's always difficult to fully remove...

dimsdale

First Post
Well answers the Earl They have taken my check which contained the most valuable of remaining items in the treasury as well as most of my remaining gold I hadn't taken with me. I see nothing else gone actually.

The warlord walks up to Earl and asks him in a concerned calm voice Look, I don't mean to pry, but can you be more specific as to what was in the chest as it may give us a clue as to why the thieves took it.

OOC: Diplomacy: 1d20+8= 19

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads