log in or register to remove this ad

 

Adventure: Get Me to the Church on Time (DM: BenBrown, Judge: Renau1g)

BenBrown

First Post
Get Me to the Church on Time
An Adventure for Levels 1 - 2

Player Characters:

Eraden Echo (Eternal54) Half-Elf Paladin 2 (Defender) *Inactive after Encounter #4*
Ingvar Goldenhorn (Mewness) Minotaur Hybrid Cleric/Runepriest 1 (Leader)
Graval Metalrent (horticulture) Dwarf Fighter 1 (Defender) *Inactive after Encounter #4*
Perinthius "Perin" (Almightyfoon) Human Sorcerer 1 (Striker) *Inactive after Encounter #2*
Jarro "Spider" Sarak (Tenchuu) Half-Orc Slayer 1 (Striker)
Zardi (bluesfella) Goliath Barbarian 1 (Striker)

later joined by
Tyris (VanderLegion) Shade Assassin 1 (Striker) *Active starting with Enconter #4*

[sblock=Rules and Guidelines]

Die Rolls: Please use an on-line die roller such as Invisible Castle or CoCo for your rolls. If you can, also comment on the die roller what each roll is for. Makes it easier on me.

Skill checks: I will post various skill result information in spoiler blocks. Some of these will be for passive checks and will be so marked. Please post the results from any active skill checks. I may also post spoiler blocks with information for one or more specific characters. Please don't read these spoilers if they're not addressed to you. You are on your honor not to use any information in the spoiler blocks for passive checks you would not pass or active checks you did not make.

Combat: I'm using a version of Malenkirk rules. This is a simplified way of doing initiative, named after Enworld's on Mal Malenkirk, who concocted them.

Here's how it works: Everybody rolls initiative, but the bad guys roll only one initiative for the whole lot of them. (after 24 hours, I'll go ahead and roll initiative for you). First, players with a higher init than the bad guys go. In any order they please. Then the bad guys. Then all of the players get to go, again, in any order they please. Actions are assumed to take place in post order, so if you want to delay for someone else's action, just wait until after they post (unless it's some sort of coordinated thing).

Combat Posts: In addition to description and dialogue, please put your actions (marked as minor, move, and standard) in a spoiler block, along with all die roll results. Also, if possible, post a stats block in your combat posts. Here's an example (one of my characters)

[sblock=sample stat block]Kaeysari Female Longtooth Shifter Fighter 5
Initiative: +4, Passive Perception: 20, Passive Insight: 15, Senses: Low-light
AC:21, Fort:19, Reflex:16, Will:16
:bmelee: +11 vs. AC, 2d4+7 damage
If any adjacent enemy marked by Kayesari shifts or makes an attack that does not include her, she may make
a melee basic attack against that enemy.
HP:52/52, Bloodied:26, Surge Value:13, Surges left:10/10
Action Points: 1, Second Wind: unused
Powers: Cleave, Footwork Lure
Covering Attack, Dance of Steel, Longtooth Shifting, Healer's Gift
Villain's Menace, Crashing Assault, Healing Word

Conditions:
none
[/sblock]

My combat posts will have all of the enemy actions and results. Positions and conditions of all of the characters, a guide to any terrain effects, and the map. I'll also post basic enemy stats, which will allow you to determine if your attack hit, and to resolve (roll for) any enemy opportunity attacks that take place on your move.

Treasure: I will try to accommodate wish lists from your character sheets, provided the treasure values even out.

Deadlines: I'd like to keep this on a 48 hour cycle, but am flexible, My preferred way is (in combat, at least) to give 48 hours for players to post at the end of which time I reserve the right to RP the player's character on his behalf. I will use the most appropriate actions and At-Will powers only.

If you will be out for a long time and unable to post, please let the party know and assign responsibility to either myself or another, willing player for RPing your character.

Out of Character Content: Post out of character content (kibitzing, etc.) in an appropriately marked spoiler block. You can even post tactical discussions. If you ask me, I won't look, but I'm not going to use it against you in any case.

Thanks for playing, and I hope you have fun.
[/sblock]

The Story So Far:

Lord Adelin Mallaby entered the Hanged Man looking for armed companions for a journey. As potential companions gathered around his table, he served expensive wine and gave further details about how he was travelling to his own wedding, which due to the bride's family tradition was being held at an ancient chapel in the hills of Allaria.

Now, the Starlight's Veil, Mallaby's brig waits at anchor for its owner and his brave companions, who will travel into dangerous lands. . . for love!
 
Last edited:

log in or register to remove this ad

BenBrown

First Post
The Starlight's Veil is a narrow, swift-looking vessel with two masts, and lies easily at anchor off one of the piers jutting out from Daunton's waterfront. Her lines are not those of a merchant, but those of a racer. Sailors are busy getting the ship in order to depart. Three scrubbing tar spots off the deck and railings while two others manhandle a nannygoat up the gangplank from the pier. The captain stands on the quarterdeck with his clerk, going over accounts of supplies.
 


horticulture

Slightly entitled.
Graval Metalrent, doing it for love.

Taking swigs from the rather expensive bottle of wine like he was drinking the cheapest ale to be found, Graval stands before Lord Mallaby's ship. He's fully outfitted for battle, plate armor covering his vitals, a shield strapped to his back and an old, well-used axe hanging from his hip.

"A migh'y fine vessel, this," he mumbles, as if he knew the difference between brigs and sloops and skiffs. He takes a few tentative steps up the gang plank before he hitches his overstuffed backpack higher on his shoulders and tromps his way on board.

"'ere, lad," he says, giving the half-empty bottle of wine to one of the youngest looking deckhands. "Seems like a righ' time fer ye ta grow some hair on tha' scrawny chest o' yers."

He drops his pack on a coil of rope in the middle of the brig, places his balled up fists on his hips and surveys the ship with a critical eye. "Migh'y fine vessel, what."

[sblock=Graval]
Graval Metalrent - Male Dwarf Fighter 1
Init: +2, Passive Percept: 17, Passive Insight: 12
AC: 20, F: 16, R: 14, W: 12, Spd: 5
HP: 31/31, Blood: 15, Surge: 7, Surges left: 12/12
AP: 1/1, Second Wind: Avail, Milestones: 0
Str: 18, Con: 16, Dex: 14, Int: 8, Wis: 14, Cha: 11

Powers:
Combat Challenge, Brash Strike, Footwork Lure
Hack and Hew, Dwarven Resilience
Driving Attack

Conditions:
Nil
[/sblock]

OOC:
One thing I've just realized: just for the DM's knowledge, my character has not been approved yet.
 
Last edited:

bluesfella

Explorer
The gang plank squeaks and bends dangerously under the weight of the Goliath as Zardi makes his way to the deck of the ship. He stands there for a minute or two just observing the action - he's never been on a sailing vessel before. He is (understandably) a bit uneasy...

"I'm from the mountains...I'm used to solid rock under my feet". he says to no one in particular.

One of the deck hands points Zardi towards a hatch leading down into the ship. "You can stow your gear below deck, sir".

Zardi nods at the lad, and hoists his axe over his shoulders. Ducking under all the rigging criss-crossing the ship, he heads below...

[sblock=Zardi]Zardi - Goliath Barbarian 1
Initiative: +0, Passive Perception: 10, Passive Insight: 10, Senses: Normal vision
AC:16, Fort:17, Reflex:10, Will:12
Basic Attack Greataxe: +7 vs AC, 1d12 +5 damage
Ranged Basic Attack Throwing Hammer: +7 vs AC, 1d6+5 damage
HP:31/31, Bloodied:15, Surge Value:7, Surges left:11/11
Action Points: 1, Second Wind: unused
Powers: Howling Strike, Pressing Strike
Stone's Endurance, Feral Might: Swift Charge, Great Cleave
Bloodhunt Rage

Conditions:
none
[/sblock]


OOC: Thanks for including me in this adventure!!
 

Tenchuu

First Post
"Don't ya be gettin too fa' aheada I, Grava," Spider called, leaping on to the boat with relative ease. Looking over at Zardi, he says, "Now who be dis? Mount'in-mon 'ere looks like a hellouva fighta, ya?"

[sblock=Action Block, Mini-Stats]
Posting Mini Stats and action block for future reference.

[sblock=Action Block]
Move:
Minor:
Standard:

  • Target1:
  • Attack1:
  • Damage:
  • Effect:
[/sblock][sblock=Spider Stat block]Jarro 'Spider' Sarak - Male Half-Orc Slayer 1
Initiative: +4, Passive Perception: +10, Passive Insight: +10

Defenses:

AC: 17, Fort: 16, Reflex: 14, Will: 11 -- Speed: 6 (+2 Charging)

Vitality:
HP: 27/27, THP: 0/0 Bloodied: 13, Surge Value: 6, Surges left: 9/9
Action Points: 1/1, Second Wind: not used

Languages:
Allarian (Common), Giant

Basic Attacks
:
:bmelee: Basic Melee Attack: +8 vs AC - Fullblade 1d12+8
:ranged: Ranged Basic Attack: +8 vs AC - Dagger 1d4+8

Powers:
At-Will:
MBA, Charge MBA, RBA, Berserker's Charge Stance, Poised Assault Stance
Encounter: Furious Assault, Power Strike, Half-Orc Resilience
Daily:

Weapons:
1 Fullblade 1d12
1 Dagger 1d4

[/sblock]
[/sblock]
 

horticulture

Slightly entitled.
"Don't ya be gettin too fa' aheada I, Grava," Spider called, leaping on to the boat with relative ease. Looking over at Zardi, he says, "Now who be dis? Mount'in-mon 'ere looks like a hellouva fighta, ya?"


"Aye, fer true. Talles' hunk o' moun'ain e'er seen, tha' one." The dwarf gives Spider a hearty handshake to welcome him onboard. Even though they just met each other, Graval had a feeling the half-orc was a true and honorable companion, someone he could drink a few pints with, as well as cleave a few skulls with.

"Dwarves are a moun'ain people, what. Me and mine're no meant fer the ocean, don' fer doubtin." He frowns, hoping he's drunk enough to finish their journey before his stomach finds out and rebels against him. "E'er been on a ship at sea, treetrunk?"
 

Eternal54

First Post
Eraden arives at the dock to find the Starlight's Veil making final preparations. The vessel looked sleek and slender, a ship appropriate for Mallaby he thought.

Upon checking his gear and stomping on solid ground one last time, Eraden proceeds to board. Once on the ship he immediately notices the large goliath from the bar along side the drinking duo. "I see you've all managed to beat me here." He says with a grin. "I had some last minute affairs to attend before we left." All around him deck hands worked to ready the ship for departure. "And where may I ask is the young suitor?" Eraden says as he surveys the ship for his employer.

[sblock=Eraden]
Eraden-Male Half-Elf Paladin
Initiative: +1, Passive Perception: 14, Passive Insight: 21
AC: 21, For: 14, Ref: 14, Will: 16
HP: 41/41, Bloodied: 20, Surge Value: 10, Surges/Day: 12/12
Speed: 5 Squares, Languages: Common, Elven, Goblin
AP: 1, Second Wind: Unused

Powers: Lay on Hands, Divine Challange, Bolstering Stike, Enfeebling strike, Channel Divinity: Devine Mettle, Channel Divinity: Divine Strength, Shielding Smite, Eyebite, Virtue, Radiant Delirium

Condition: Mint

[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

Mewness

First Post
Goldenhorn appears, this time unaccompanied. He seems to have dressed down slightly for the sea voyage (the gold wire has been unwound from his hair, which is now tied back with a cord, and some of his gold jewelry has been put away). "My apologies," he says to everyone present. "I hope that I have not been the cause of any delay."

[sblock=Goldenhorn]Ingvar Goldenhorn Male Minotaur Cleric|Runepriest 1
Initiative: +0, Passive Perception: 16, Passive Insight: 14, Senses: Normal
AC:17, Fort:14, Reflex:11, Will:16
HP:27/27, Bloodied:13, Surge Value:6, Surges left:10/10
Action Points: 1
Righteous Brand
Word of Binding

Goring Charge
Divine Glow
Healing Word
Rune of Mending
Second Wind

Moment of Glory

Conditions:

Defiant Word: Whenever an enemy misses Goldenhorn with an attack, he gains a +4 (non-cumulative) bonus to damage rolls against that enemy until the end of his next turn.

Full sheet: Goldenhorn[/sblock]
 

Tenchuu

First Post
He frowns, hoping he's drunk enough to finish their journey before his stomach finds out and rebels against him. "E'er been on a ship at sea, treetrunk?"

"Issa alla dat ale makin ya 'ead forget all dat ya 'ear?" Spider jests, "A course I an I been onna saila like dis; I an I came from Allaria, dis da true. Don't ya worry Grava: Inna no time t'all, ya been 'eavin ya guts from da side a da ship!" Spider laughed, clapping the dwarf on the shoulder.

"An land ya eyes on dis won," Spider said, spotting Eraden. "I an I gotta god sword on da ship." Spider was about to great the paladin, when Goldenhorn clomped aboard. "Gold'orn! Ya come ta see my 'omeland, eh?"
 

horticulture

Slightly entitled.
"Issa alla dat ale makin ya 'ead forget all dat ya 'ear?" Spider jests, "A course I an I been onna saila like dis; I an I came from Allaria, dis da true. Don't ya worry Grava: Inna no time t'all, ya been 'eavin ya guts from da side a da ship!" Spider laughed, clapping the dwarf on the shoulder.

"An land ya eyes on dis won," Spider said, spotting Eraden. "I an I gotta god sword on da ship." Spider was about to great the paladin, when Goldenhorn clomped aboard. "Gold'orn! Ya come ta see my 'omeland, eh?"

Graval gives a momentary frown. "All tha ale an' all me hearin' from ye is: 'cannae keep wit' yer pred...predigi...wit' yer grea' drinkin' abili'y, ye migh'y dwarf!'"

"God sword?" he inquires a moment before turning toward Eraden. "A paladin, aye. Wha' say ye, paladin? Ye here fer love or fer tha gold tha's been promised?"
 

Almightyfoon

First Post
Perin jogged through the docks, dodging workers and loaders as he went. He'd lost the group in the crowds of the city and was worried that he would not reach the ship before it left. He was traveling light, just his staves and a small kit, so the jog was quick and easy. He looked to the west and saw the sun low in the sky. "Need to hurry up." Perin said to himself as he lept around a corner headed for the dock the ship was berthed.

He reached the ship, the Starlight's Veil just as they were shouting the final orders to leave port. A quick scramble up the gangway and the young man was on board, his chest heaving from exertion. He looked around, admiring the ship and noting the others that were at the table. He whistled, "This is the biggest boat I've ever been on!"
 

Mewness

First Post
"I an I gotta god sword on da ship." Spider was about to great the paladin, when Goldenhorn clomped aboard. "Gold'orn! Ya come ta see my 'omeland, eh?"
"I would see it very willingly, and count myself fortunate to have a guide," says Goldenhorn. He turns to Graval. "I have done very little sea-travel myself, but I understand it is best to stay out of doors and fix one's gaze outward, to the horizon, so as to become used to the motion of the boat."

OOC: Almightyfoon: I don't see an approval request for your character in the email queue. I went ahead and reviewed your character anyway, possibly prematurely (you can see my comments at the bottom of the wiki page), but you'll need to send an email to the judges to get properly approved.
 

bluesfella

Explorer
"Don't ya be gettin too fa' aheada I, Grava," Spider called, leaping on to the boat with relative ease. Looking over at Zardi, he says, "Now who be dis? Mount'in-mon 'ere looks like a hellouva fighta, ya?"

Zardi nods to Spider, with a slight smile on his lips.

"I don't know much other than fighting. It is in my blood to fight...and to win."

Zardi straightens up as he looks out across the ocean and squints into the setting sun. Changing the subject, he asks:

"So...why do they call you Spider?"
 

Almightyfoon

First Post
Perin put down his pack on the edge of the ships railing and sat against it. He pulled out some trail biscuits from it and munched idly on them. The crew milled around him, he looked up and asked to no one in particular. "So, think we'll run into any pirates?" The crew around him groaned, but continued with their work.

[sblock="Stat Block"]Perin
AC: 13 F/R/W: 12/14/17
Init: +3 Passive Perception: 9, Passive insight: 9
HP: 25/25 Bloodied: 12 Surge value: 6 Surges/Day: 7
Lightning Bolt, Chaos Bolt, Stormwalk
Thunder Slam
Shocking Magnetism[/sblock]
 

BenBrown

First Post
The water in the harbor laps at the edge of the quay. Along the pier, a priest of Netari walks back and forth ceremoniously, offering a supplication to his god for a safe and rapid voyage for the vessel. As the water reaches the high tide marker, the captain looks over at the hourglass perched in its gimbals next to the ship's bell, an impatient look on his face.

He says a word to his clerk, who runs below deck, and returns a minute later with the mate in tow. The mate and captain converse quietly, the captain scowling, and the mate with a look of weary suffering.

Then the clerk, standing by points towards the land end of the pier. As all eyes follow, they can see a fancy looking carriage turn onto the quay, drawn by four horses. The carriage pulls to a stop near to the ship, and the door opens, in such a way that the crew and passengers of the Starlight's Veil can get a reasonable look inside.

Lord Adelin Mallaby steps out, his elegant town clothes not made one whit more martial looking by the addition of a long rapier at his side. His hand remains clasped to that of the attractive and well-dressed lady who stands in the open door.

"Farewell, my dear," Mallaby says, "I shall not be too long." He bends forward to kiss her hand, and then separates from her, moving towards the ship, his fingers lingering on hers briefly before he lets go, smiles, then turns and walks up the gangplank.

"Captain," he announces, "I have come on board. Are we ready to sail?"

"Ready, my lord," the captain says. Then in a booming voice yells "All hands on deck! Stand by to cast off!"

There is a rush of activities with sailors running in all directions about the ship. The hawsers holding the ship to the pier are drawn in, the anchor is weighed, and as the outgoing tide pulls the Starlight's Veil towards the harbor mouth, some of the crew clambers up the masts and unfurls the topsails.

"Well and sailorly done," Mallaby says. He turns to his new companions. "Let us go below. I'll show you your cabin myself, and we can take a look at the map."

He turns, and walks down the short stairway leading under the poopdeck.
 

Eternal54

First Post
"God sword?" he inquires a moment before turning toward Eraden. "A paladin, aye. Wha' say ye, paladin? Ye here fer love or fer tha gold tha's been promised?"

Eraden took a moment to think about his answer, surely love was a good reason to venture out, but gold was always welcome as well. "Graval my friend." he finally says "I chose to accompany Mallaby to insure no injustice is done. The fact that by doing so a young man may find love just makes it that much sweeter and even a paladin of Palladys must find the means to eat."

Not far from where the group stood Eraden notices a young man in a grey tunic run on to the ship. On his heels araived a carriage from which Lord Mallaby steps off gives word to set sail. Just in time, he thought to himself.

Lord Mallaby invites the group below the deck and as he leads the way Eraden follows...

[sblock=Eraden]
Eraden-Male Half-Elf Paladin
Initiative: +1, Passive Perception: 14, Passive Insight: 21
AC: 21, For: 14, Ref: 14, Will: 16
HP: 41/41, Bloodied: 20, Surge Value: 10, Surges/Day: 12/12
Speed: 5 Squares, Languages: Common, Elven, Goblin
AP: 1, Second Wind: Unused

Powers: Lay on Hands, Divine Challange, Bolstering Stike, Enfeebling strike, Channel Divinity: Devine Mettle, Channel Divinity: Divine Strength, Shielding Smite, Eyebite, Virtue, Radiant Delirium

Condition: Mint

[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

Almightyfoon

First Post
Perin watched the noble arrive at the ship and break with his companion. Perin stood and followed when Lord Mallaby instructed the group to follow, a little sad to not be able to see the ship pull out of dock.

[sblock=Perception and Insight]http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2933708/[/sblock]
 

Mewness

First Post
Goldenhorn watches the priest's activities with some curiosity, then follows Mallaby below deck, though he has to duck his head so that his horns point outward. "I had best not stumble around in the dark," he says, trying to prevent himself from poking anyone. "I should impale someone before I was aware."
 

horticulture

Slightly entitled.
Goldenhorn watches the priest's activities with some curiosity, then follows Mallaby below deck, though he has to duck his head so that his horns point outward. "I had best not stumble around in the dark," he says, trying to prevent himself from poking anyone. "I should impale someone before I was aware."

Graval mulls over the paladin's statement a moment, letting the words wash over his foggy thoughts. He may call it by a different name, but perhaps the dwarf feels the same way.

"Or get yerself stuck in tha doorframe, what," he chuckled, following Goldenhorn below decks.
 

Advertisement2

Advertisement4

Top