• Welcome to this new upgrade of the site. We are now on a totally different software platform. Many things will be different, and bugs are expected. Certain areas (like downloads and reviews) will take longer to import. As always, please use the Meta Forum for site queries or bug reports. Note that we (the mods and admins) are also learning the new software.
  • The RSS feed for the news page has changed. Use this link. The old one displays the forums, not the news.

4E [Adventure] He Chained Their Minds (DM: CrimsonFlameWielder; Judge Needed )

Welcome all to the adventure:

He Chained Their Minds


The following players/characters are a part of this adventure:

VanderLegion's Vander (Pixie Monk)
jbear's Kane Arcane (Human Swordmage|Wizard)
phoenix8008's Kama'zer (Gith Warlord)
WEContact's Ignatz (Half-Orc Barbarian)
pathfinder1's Joy (Human [Elan] Ardent|Bard)
rb780nm's Sound of Stone (Thri-kreen Monk)

Before we get to the fun stuff, let's go over the basic rules of engagement for this adventure.

I will be using the Malenkirk battle system, which means I will roll initiative for everyone and all monsters/bad-guys will go on the same initiative.

Battles will follow this pattern:

1) If monsters roll highest initiative, then they will go first, followed by all of the PCs.
2) If the PCs roll highest initiative, they will go first, followed by all of the monsters.
3) If some of the PCs roll higher than the monsters, those PCs will go first, followed by the monsters. After that, ALL PCs will take a turn, followed by the monsters next turn. Rinse & repeat until combat is over.
4) If there is a surprise round, the steps above will be followed, but only for those PC's/monsters who are not surprised.

When we get to our first battle, I will be using Google Docs to handle the mapping.

I will be using this post to track some things below, such as XP earned, treasure allocated, etc.

[sblock=XP earned]

None yet...


Time XP:

* Start of adventure: October 9th 2012.
* End of adventure: TBA

[/sblock]

[sblock=Treasure Given & Wealth Levels]

This section will be used to track each of the character's wealth levels (so I know how much treasure I can and will give out). It will also be used to track who acquired what magic item(s) and when/where.

Gold Earned:

--- None Yet

Wealth Levels:

At start of Adventure:

Target Wealth Levels for wealth earned by END of listed level
Lvl... Wealth Level (in gp)
1..... 756
2..... 1,824
3..... 3,348
4..... 5,448
5..... 8,244
6..... 12,000
7..... 17,364
8..... 24,960
9..... 35,436
10.... 49,440

Wealth at start of adventure:

Vander ............... 6,400 gp / 12,000 gp (lvl 6)
Kane Arcane ....... 8,803 gp / 12,000 gp (lvl 6)
Kama'zer ............ 9,673 gp / 12,000 gp (lvl 6)
Ignatz ................ 1,917 gp / 8,244 gp (lvl 5)
Joy .................... 9,629 gp / 12,000 gp (lvl 6)
Sound of Stone ... 7,720 gp / 12,000 gp (lvl 6)

TIME GOLD EARNED:

None yet.

[/sblock]

[sblock=Posting Rates]
While I am certainly guilty of going far over this limit, I'd like to see everyone posting at least once every 2 days. Many of us know the burdens of real life, so just try to let us know if you won't be able to post within that period of time and one of us will be happy to NPC your character for you. Also, I tend to be a bit busy on the weekends, so I may or may not get the chance to post during those times.
[/sblock]

[sblock=OOC Thread]
I've seen a couple of adventures do this now, and I think it may be a good idea for us, too, to utilize the Out Of Character thread for an adventure. As such, you will see another thread titled

"
OOC: He Chained Their Minds"

for us to make OOC comments in and will be a great place for you all to talk crunch/mechanics and tactics, ask ooc questions, etc. Let's try to keep it there as much as possible, and keep the story here. It will make for a better read down the line. [/sblock]

And now to start the adventure!

------------------------------------------------------------------

Evan leads his hired crew outside of the Hanged Man to where a group of seven horses is tethered to a long wooden post. Each horse is equipped with a riding saddle, and saddle bags that contain food stuffs and basic travel supplies (such as travel rations, a small bow used for making fires, bedrolls, etc).

"Braidlock is three days journey by horse from here to the north. It's going to be a long ride, and it is likely best that we get to know each others capabilities. As you all know, now, my name is Evan. I'm a simple hunter. I'm no fighter. I can't cast spells, and I'm not trained in the use of weapons. I don't really expect a fight to break out from here to Braidlock, but I just want you to know that I won't be of much use if something happens. I can use my bow if absolutely necessary, but don't count on me saving your butts if things get grim. I wouldn't have asked you to come along if I could, right?" he says with a smirk.

"Go ahead and get to know each other, and if you need to, pick up any supplies you want to bring along with you. There won't be any shops or merchants where we're going (not with my entire village missing anyway), so prepare yourselves if you need to."

With that, he begins checking the saddles and tack of all the horses to ensure they are ready for the long ride home.
 
Last edited:

jbear

Villager
Kane sends a coin spinning into the air as he smiles at his new companions. "Kane. K-kane Arcane. S-student of B-blade and the Art. Adventure A-addict."

Kane looks like he would say more but speaking is obviously a struggle for the man, and he does not want to burden his companions with a long speech as his broken speech is not very enjoyable to listen to.

[sblock=Kane Arcane]
PC:Kane Arcane (jbear1979) - L4W Wiki
Human Hybrid Swordmage | Wizard 6
Passive Perception/Insight 15
AC:23, Fort:18, Reflex:19, Will:19, Speed:6
HP: (+2 THP) 54/54, Bloodied:27, Surge Value:13, Surges left:10/10
Initiative +3
Action Points: 1 (encounter):

Conditions:

Powers
MBA: Frostbrand Longsword +2, +10 vs AC, 1d8+4 damage
Cantrips,
Freezing Burst, Phantasmal Assault, Sword Burst

Glorious Presence:
Aegis of Shielding: Green Fungus Zombie
Channelling Shield:
Dimensional Vortex:
Frostbrand Longsword (Freezing Blast):
Frostbrand Longsword (Extinguish Fires):
Evil Eye of the Vistani:
Second Wind

Flaming Sphere:
Swordmage's Shielding Fire:
Fire Shield:
Dislocation Longsword:
Amulet of Psychic Interference:
Power Jewel:


Combat notes:
Amulet of Psychic Interference: Kane makes a SThrow vs Charm, Fear and Psychic effects at the start of his turn; if he fails he does not get another SThrow to end them at the end of his turn
White Lotus Riposte: When an enemy Kane has hit with an At Will Power attacks him on his next turn, they take 4 dmg (type is equal to the damage type dealt by at will power)
Gauntlets of Arcane Might: Kane gains 2 THP when he hits an enemy he marks with an Arcane power
Shimmering Cloth Armor: Kane's ranged and area attacks do not provoke OAtks
War Wizard's Expertise: Kane's arcane attacks vs allies take a -5 penalty to hit.

Jade, Feybeast HP (+0 THP) 27/27; AC 19 F/R/W 21/17/21
Perception +7
MBA: Claw: +11 vs AC; 1d12+3 dmg
Aura +2 dmg to all allies vs enemies in Fey Beast Aura; Kane gains CAdv vs enemies in aura
[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

VanderLegion

Villager
[sblock=Vander's Stats] Vander Legion - Male Pixie Monk 6
Initiative: +7, Passive perception: 19, Passive Insight: 19

Defenses:
AC: 19, Fort: 17, Reflex: 19, Will: 19
Resist 5 Fire

Vitality
HP: 51/51, Bloodied: 25, Surge Value: 12, Surges Left: 9/9
Action Points: 1/1, Second Wind

Languages:
Allarian, Eladrin, Primordial

Basic Attacks:
Melee Basic Attack: +13 vs AC - Transcendant Ki Focused Unarmed Strike 1d8+6
Ranged Basic Attack: +7 vs AC - Ki Sling 1d6+7

Powers:
At-Will: Blistering Flourish (Standard/Move), Five Storms (Standard/Move), Desert Wind Flurry of Blows
Encounter: Light the Fire (Standard/Move), Burning Brand (Standard/Move), Pixie Dust, Shrink, Blazing Corona, Shadow Step
Daily: Masterful Spiral, Supreme Flurry, Supreme Avalanche, Burning Bright
Item: Transcendent Emerald Flame Ki Focus, Cape of the Mountebank

Weapons:
Transcendent Emerald Flame Ki Focus +2
Ki Sling +1

Conditions:

Ki Sling: Once per turn when Vander uses flurry of blows, it does +2 damage to its targets.
Skipping Stone Style: When Vander uses his Flurry of Blows and he has a sling in hand, he can replace one normal target of that power with one creature within 10 squares of him. This does not provoke opportunity attacks.
Internalize the Basic Kata: Vander can use his dexterity modifier instead of his strength modifier for attack rolls and damage rolls when making a basic attack with his monk unarmed strike. In addition, his flurry of blows can be triggered when he hits with an opportunity attack made with his monk unarmed strike.
Firecrafter Starting Feature: Vander's origin becomes elemental. For the purpose of effects that relate to creature origin, he is considered to be an elemental. Add Primordial to the languages he can read, write, and speak. Also, he can emit dim light out to 5 squares. As a minor action, he can suppress or resume this light.
Firecrafter Level 5 bonus: Whenever Vander uses his second wind, he gains a +1 power bonus to attack rolls with fire attacks until the end of his next turn.
Speak with Beasts: Vander can communicate with natural beasts and fey beasts.[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

Phoenix8008

Villager
Kama'zer gathers her gear from her room upstairs in the tavern, then joins the others outside and inspects the horses before picking one to use. She stows her gear on the horse and prepares to move out.

[sblock=Actions/Stat block]Start=
Move=
Standard=
End=
[sblock=stat block]Kama'zer Anma'giduu- Female Githyanki Warlord 6
Conditions: none
Passive Perception: +14, Passive Insight: +14, Init: +11
AC: 21, Fort: 19, Reflex: 18, Will: 17 -- Speed: 5
HP: 51/51, Bloodied: 25, Surge Value: 12, Surges left: 9/9
Action Points: 1, Second Wind: not used, Milestones:
:bmelee:Basic Attack +2 Githyanki Silver Longsword +13 vs AC 1d8+6 damage -- Crit = 8+2d8+6 dmg
:branged: Ranged Basic Attack Javelin +10 vs AC 1d6+4 damage Range 10/20 -- Hvy Thrown
Powers-
Opening Shove
Wolf Pack Tactics

Warlord's Favor
Inspiring Word x2
Telekinetic Leap
Steel Monsoon
Aid the Injured

Lead the Attack
Stand the Fallen
Stand Tough

Githyanki Silver Longsword- psychic damage(At-Will)
Luckbender Gloves(Encounter)
Githyanki Silver Longsword- Foe Banishing(Daily)
Exalted Armor(Daily)
Cloak of Resistance(Daily)
Shield of Bashing(Daily)

Combat notes:-Commanding (Tactical) Presence: When ally who can see warlord spends an action point to make an attack, they gain +1 bonus on attack roll (1/2 Int modifier) and +3 bonus to damage from Tactical Assault feat[/sblock][/sblock]
 
Last edited:

WEContact

Villager
"Hú? Yes, I kn-now Hú. She's a g-good f-friend. B-but she's n-not from B-bacarte."

Kane heads out the door with Ignatz.
"Hy got no idea vot hyu'z talkink about, friend," Ignatz says happily, clapping Kane on the shoulder, "but ve'z vell met." He hops onto the horse that Vander's chosen, grinning at the pixie. Still talking to Kane, he hollers, "Vot vas hyu name? Hy missed dot. An' haff you gotz a name, leedle friend?" This last is to Vander directly.

[sblock=Statblock]Ignatz Jägerkin - Male Half-Orc Barbarian 5 Status: Initiative: +5, Passive perception: 19, Passive Insight: 13 AC:21 Fort:19 Ref:17 Will:14 HP: 54/54 Bloodied: 27 Surge value: 13 Surges/day: 10 Speed: 6 squares, AP: 1, Second Wind: unused, Temporary HP: 0 Melee Basic Attack: +10 vs AC, 2d6+7 brutal 1 (Claw: +10 vs AC, 1d8+6)
Powers: Body of the Wolf, Howling Strike, Pressing Strike Furious Assault, Swift Charge, Desperate Fury, Brutal Slam, Shrug It Off, Swift Panther Rage, Tyrant's Rage[/sblock]
 

pathfinderq1

Villager
The tall woman in the red scale armor and black longcoat stepped out of the tavern and paused on the steps. Away from the distractions of the bar-room, the faint swell of music still seemed to hang in the air around her, though it seemed to have changed to a jaunty soldiers' marching tune.

After a moment's pause, she trotted down the steps and stepped over to one of the horses. Grabbing the reins, she pulled the beast's head around and stared at it eye-to-eye for the briefest instant. Then she shook her head. "Poor dumb beast," she said sadly. "No chance of getting to this place by boat, I guess?"
 

jbear

Villager
Kane continued to grin as he got on his horse. He liked the barbarian, but if there is one thing a man with a stutter hates, it's repeating himself. He decided to go with not understanding the barbarian's accent as there was enough truth in that to fit. He sat, ready to go.
 
Evan looks at Joy as she arrives and mounts a horse. "I don't particularly like boats...to be truthful. The ocean is unpredictable. I prefer the control I have over my horses." Thinking of going by boat once more, he gives a little shudder and continues checking the horses while waiting on the insect man to join them.
 

rb780nm

Villager
With some difficulty, the Insectoid creature climbs atop his mount.

[sblock=Quick Stats]Sound of Stone, Thri-kreen Monk 6 Speaks in Lime Italics HP49/49 Temp HP- , Initiative +8 AC 23 Fort 16, Reflex 19, Will 16 AP 1, Surges 8/8 Centered Flurry of Blows, Crane's Wings, Five Storms, Thri-kreen Claws, Open the Gates of Battle, Twin Thunders, Steel Avalanche,Supreme Flurry, Water GIves Way, Special:Blood Thread Armor: addn'l +1 AC and +2 saves when bloodied; Boots: +1 AC, Reflex when shifting
Wiki page: PC:SoundofStone (rb780nm) - L4W Wiki
[/sblock]
 
Now that the whole group has saddled up, Evan leads the group out of the city's northern gate and heads into the central Daunton landscape. You start at a rather brisk pace, Evan pushing the horses to move quickly, wanting to get back home as quickly as possible. After an hour of travel, however, it is obvious that this break-neck pace would not be able to hold out. The ground became too broken up and uneven to allow for that, and Evan slowed the horses to a medium pace.

You follow the river north that leads from Daunton (the city) to the islands interior until it takes a sharp bend to the west. From there, you break off north-east into a forested area. The high grasses of the plains give way to the thick lush growth of trees. When you find yourself deep enough into this forest that the light has darkened and you no longer see the way you entered, you begin to feel a sort of hum in the air.

[sblock=Perception 21]
As you continue along the path Evan is leading you through, you begin to notice a subtle change in the forest growth. It becomes more lush and full, and sometimes a random leaf or piece of bark will seem to shimmer or sparkle for just a moment before it's normal luster returns.

[sblock=Arcana/Nature DC 17]
The hum, combined with the odd sparkle in natural flora is a good indication that you are heading into an area whose link to Arcadia is strong. [/sblock][/sblock]
 

pathfinderq1

Villager
Joy seemed more preoccupied with handling her steed (a task she was obviously NOT accustomed to) than with paying any attention to the details of the forest around them...

[sblock= OOC]
Perception 1d20+9= 14, roll Roll Lookup

[/sblock]
 

Phoenix8008

Villager
Kama'zer was not comfortable riding the horse and her normal level of awareness was reduced to the degree which she had to devote towards the animal. The hum building around them finally drew her attention, but perhaps to late to matter...
 
Last edited:

rb780nm

Villager
"We are heading into region of strong natural energies - perhaps it is closely linked to the region called Arcadia in your tongue?" Sound of Stone tells the others, indicating the strangely lush, glittering vegetation.

OOC:
Perception +11, Nature +9 ;)
 
OOC: [MENTION=91452]rb780nm[/MENTION]: Unless otherwise noted, please always roll skills unless I include "(passive)" in the sblock title. I'll take them this time, since I didn't indicate one way or another, but just for future reference, please always roll unless told otherwise. Thanks!
 

jbear

Villager
Kane nods and grins, making no comment, but obviously excited by the prospect of heading towards Arcadia.
 

VanderLegion

Villager
"We are heading into region of strong natural energies - perhaps it is closely linked to the region called Arcadia in your tongue?" Sound of Stone tells the others, indicating the strangely lush, glittering vegetation.

OOC:
Perception +11, Nature +9 ;)
Vander's ears perk up at the words. "Arcadia?" the pixie says in a strange voice. "Perhaps..."
 
The sharp-eyed and arcane-studied of the group pick up on the subtle clues as to their current location's proximity to a ley-line. Ley-lines are thought to be rare convergences where the material realm, and the fey realm of Arcadia overlap, touch, and provide access to both places at once, and sometimes (though more rarely) act as a direct portal from one realm to the other. In this case, those knowledgeable folks in your group can tell that you are experiencing a gentle overlap, like a mist of the Arcadian realm settling on the material realm like a light fog.

This causes the path to seemingly shift and split into multiple paths for moments at a time, causing you to stop and reorient yourself as the landscape constantly changes around you.

Evan purses his lips and shakes his head. "It wasn't like this on my trip to Daunton. We should be much further along in this forest..." he says, noting the position of the sun by the few streams of light that flit through the canopy of trees.

"At this rate, it will take us twice as long to get to my village! It also seems like it will be getting dark in the next couple of hours. Why don't we set up camp here, and I'll start building a fire for us."

A few minutes later, Evan had a circle of rocks containing a small fire, and the horses were tethered to a couple of trees with sweet bluish purple flowers blooming on them. When the sun had finally set for the day, the forest became extremely dark, save for the small area in the copse you were resting in that was lit by your fire.


 

Advertisement

Top