(Adventure) Hunt for the Cirya de Pietro [Judge - garyh]

Pyrex

First Post
OOC: All depends on your definition of wasted shots. I figured +0 to hit against probable AC's of ~12 was worthwhile for the cost of a couple arrows. If Remi was better with the bow, I'd have started firing when they were further out. :D

"Accuracy is all well and good, shooting them before they can shoot us is better."

Kahuna Burger

First Post
OOC: note to self... discuss planning in more detail prior to initiative next time. I was rather assuming we were letting the pirates board before letting loose to reduce their likelyhood of using balistas on us... if we show ourselves hostile (and competent), before they are committed to a boarding, they will be more likely to just blast us from afar. Not to say that hollander and kath are really in charge, but there was a plan of sorts in the works... :( If I'd been feeling more postworthy the last couple of days I would have started a 'what to do if/when we find ourselves a pirate' discussion on the voyage...

anyway, we're rolling our own init? (checks dex) 15. Katherine will inspire courage, since there is no "inspire good sense" ability available. :p (kidding, kidding...)

Pyrex

First Post
OOC: Ahh, see that hadn't been made clear. Perhaps if you issued an inspiring speech outlining our tactics... ;)

In that case Remi will ready an action. The first pirate to secure a boarding line gets an arrow.

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
OoC: Going to delay posting the first combat round by a day, folks, to see if Meepo is going to post.

But tomorrow, yes, you will be slaugh... er, engaging in combat. :)

MeepoTheMighty

First Post
Zumar loads his crossbow, keeping it hidden behind a barrel as he carefully fits a bolt to the stock. Crouching behind the barrel for cover, he scans the deck of the opposite ship and gets ready for action.

Initiative: 11

OOC: Sorry about that delay. All of my other PBP's seem to have died off at the same time this one was hitting a slow spell, so I stopped checking for a while. I'm here now.

ferretguy

First Post
ooc: Hell, Kahuna...I would also like to let them get on board I'm not really that good with ranged attacks...but once the arrows start firing, its almost like the shot heard round the world...(english/american war thing...)

MeepoTheMighty

First Post
ferretguy said:
ooc: Hell, Kahuna...I would also like to let them get on board I'm not really that good with ranged attacks...but once the arrows start firing, its almost like the shot heard round the world...(english/american war thing...)
ooc: though, crossbows tend to be pretty quiet... :)

Kahuna Burger

First Post
ferretguy said:
hrm? I'm not sure what you mean... I'm assuming balistas are the sort of things that spray damage upon the ship at large and whoever is on deck, (thats how I've seen them used on other games) and thus unlikely to be used after a boarding... The point was to committ the foe to the deck before attacking, rather than showing them that we are dangerous and giving them the chance to use indiscriminate dame dealing prior to the fight... (and avoid massive damage to the ship itself) and yes, the fact that one of our fighter types was all melee was considered as well... ;)

ferretguy

First Post
Naww Meepo...crossbows have that cool TWANG and THUNK (Gurgle....) sound.

OOC: not too sure about Balistas myself, just would like to avoid getting hit by one. :D

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Battle!, Round I

OoC: Sorry about the wait, folks... I wasn't around last night to post. :( However, I am glad that Zumar showed up. :)

Let the battle begin... if you have any questions about my format, feel free to ask. :)

Initiative
Pirates - 17
Katherine - 15
Crew - 14
Ricardo - 12
Zumar - 11
Hallandor, Remi - 9
ao'Thuir - 6

The side of the Gazelle is bombarded by thrown grappling hooks, and five of the six manage to find purchase on the railing and rigging in various locations all along her side.

Three pirates begin securing the lines, while three others pull out small weapons that look similar in size to hand crossbows, but are much bulkier and are much different in appearance.

Katherine begins urging the men on, her voice is clear and loud through the fog, and the crew's spirits appear to be bolstered by her speaking...

Inspire Courage +1.

The three crew members up top - Thamior, Warden, and Marques - fire their crossbows at the pirates arming themselves.

Two crossbow bolts plunge into the side of the enemy ship, but one pierces the skull of one of those with a weapon, and the pirate falls to the deck.

Ricardo pulls out a short sword, and hacks at one of the grappling hooks entangled in the rigging. The rope snaps as his sword cleaves through it.

Zumar loads his crossbow, keeping it carefully hidden, watching the enemy ship's deck...

Hallandor scans the enemy deck while loading his heavy crossbow, looking for someone who appears to be in charge...

...but he can't seem to spot anyone, with all the movement going on.

Meanwhile, Remi shoots at one of the pirates securing a line...

He gets an 12, which misses.

...but his arrow falls short, imbedding itself with a *thunk* into the enemy craft's hull.

ao'Thuir fires his light crossbow at one of the pirates...

He gets a 6, which misses.

...but his shot goes wide, landing in the sea below. He then unsheathes his greatsword, and readies himself for the pirate's attack.

Kills
Pirates - (1)

-----

End of round 1.

Last edited:

Remove ads