log in or register to remove this ad

 

[Adventure]: Land Ho! FWBTHW (DM:H.M.Gimlord,Judge:Ozymandias79)


log in or register to remove this ad

Tenchuu

First Post
"Hmmm. It could be another hidden door down there, or there could have been a rope ladder that he took with him," Gensai said.

"I have a few ideas: I could jump in the pit to investigate the wall where the footprints lead. Or, I could try some of the other switches in the panel. What do you think?"
 


Walking Dad

First Post
Riardon

"Fenwick is right. The pit looks now save to traverse. And I think Mervin knows some magic to move the levers from the other side, right?" Riardon asks.

[sblock=OOC]


-----

When you spend an AP, you get a +1 on attacks.

[sblock=Mini stat block]
Riardon d'Caelis
Perception: 19 Insight: 14 Low-light Vision
AC 22 Fortitude 19 Reflex 19 Will 17
Initiative: +3
Hit Points: 54 / 54 Bloodied: 27
Temporary Hit Points: 0
Resist: -
Saving Throw: +5 vs Charm
Action Points: 1 Second Wind: 1
Healing Surge:13 Surges per day: 8 / 8
At-Will Powers: Directing Strike, Intuitive Strike
Encounter Powers: Inspiring Word 2/2, Battlefront Shift, Arcane Mutterings, Chilling Cloud, Warlords Favor, Steel Monsoon, Feystep, Rousing Words, Amulet of Life
Daily Powers: Calculated Assault, Stand the Fallen, Sunblade Burst

Condition:

[/sblock][/sblock]
 

evilbob

First Post
[sblock=ooc]Sorry everyone was waiting on me! I, too, was AWOL during the holidays.

So we spectacularly failed the skill challenge and yet somehow it's not immediately apparent how things are worse? I honestly am not sure what Mervin would do.

If we can still make checks, I'd stick with what Mervin does best: Arcana, History, Religion, and to some degree Nature and Insight. Maybe Mervin would make an Insight check to see if he can deduce what went on?

What's a valid option, HMG?

ps. I agree we shouldn't split up unless we have to.[/sblock]
 

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
GM: I've been playing this by ear the whole time. I started a little too smartly for my own good. I actually created the mechanics of the trap and played them out as directed. To share them with you would ruin it though. Think of this portion of things, not as a skill challenge, but as exercise in the consequences of exploration. Thus, explore away. In the words of Ms. Friz on The Magic School Bus, "Take chances! Make mistakes! Get messy!"

As for your options, EB, anything is game, but keep in mind that, collectively, your aim is to either backtrack and go the other way (which would be admitting defeat here) or continue to try getting to the other side of this pit.

Your choice, but the more explicit you are in stating what you do and how you do it, the more likely you are to succeed (or the less likely you are to gripe at me when/if things go wrong ;)).

Only use dice if you feel that a skill needs to be brought to bear against your chosen course of action. Don't just roll, hoping that I have a planned set of skills (remember the skill challenge is over).
 
Last edited:

evilbob

First Post
Mervin studies the trap mechanism to see if he can deduce what happened - especially since it doesn't look like anything the party did made a positive effect. He looks carefully at the doorway and the giant slab, and takes a few glances down at the pit as well. He lets the party know that he saw tracks through the pit earlier, and he suspects their quarry - now long gone - probably went through here, although they were either immune to the spikes or they triggered the spikes once they had made it through.
 

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
[sblock=Mervin]You, at once, recognize the prints pointed out by Riardon as the same ones he saw before, but you notice one more thing. The prints stop just shy of the end of the pit. It's as if whoever was walking through the pit simply flew the last five feet.

Looking at the slab, you also notice that the slab is the only thing that would permanently separate the group, so as long as everyone stays on one side of the slab, there is appears to be no danger of losing a comrade again... unless, of course, (you shudder at the thought) he dies.[/sblock]
GM: Clarification: Since the skill challenge failed, you are left to struggle past this hazard by dead reckoning. The obvious options are:

1. Play with the control panel in the hallway to see what it does.
2. As well, the "pretty" levers are still accessible, though sunken into the ground
3. You can attempt a careful crossing/investigation of the pit
4. You can still attempt to climb around
5. You can go back around and up through the underground river

The non-obvious options, I will leave to your imagination. Unfortunately, there is little more technical information to reveal unless someone actually interacts with the hazard actively (i.e.: one of the first four options above, or something like them).
 

evilbob

First Post
Mervin points out that the prints in the pit stop just shy of the end of the pit. It's as if whoever was walking through the pit simply flew the last five feet.

[sblock=ooc]Well guys, I'm going to suggest just climbing down and walking across the bottom. We might take a hit but it seems like the safest way across (for the moment). We also might as well stick together. If someone's particularly good at athletics they could try climbing across I suppose as well. What does everyone think?[/sblock]
 

Walking Dad

First Post
[sblock=ooc]That is what Riardon suggested above. He will climb to the other side, avoiding the mechanism he triggered last time and wait for Mervin's answer to his question.[/sblock]
 


H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
OOC: Remember, be as explicit/specific in describing your actions as you want the outcome to be. More detailed actions are more likely to yield more detailed results, insight, reward, and/or danger. Vague actions are more likely to yield just danger ;).
 

Walking Dad

First Post
OOC: Remember, be as explicit/specific in describing your actions as you want the outcome to be. More detailed actions are more likely to yield more detailed results, insight, reward, and/or danger. Vague actions are more likely to yield just danger ;).

OOC: Were my description detailed enough? Taking exactly the same way as before, this time taking 10 (should be possible), but avoiding the trigger on the other side. Slow posting on this weekend.
 

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
Riardon screws up his courage. The wall to the side of the pit is crumbling, and footing is not sure. He has to back up and try again at points, but he finally manages to skirt the pit without falling,...and without setting off any traps.[sblock=Athletics (Just for the drama)]:
First 3 attempts get him to AD9 without falling.
The following two attempts get him across with out falling.
[/sblock][sblock=Map]
[/sblock]
GM: OK.Fenwick, Mervin, Rujah, & Gensai to go...
 
Last edited:

BenBrown

First Post
Fenwick moves up to the edge of the pit. "Anything to tie rope on?" he calls to Riardon. "Make climbing easier for everyone!"
 

Walking Dad

First Post
Riardon

"I'm strong enough to hold the rope myself. We shouldn't risk me stepping on another pressure plate... or maybe binding it to a torch mounting that is maybe also a lever..." Riardon responds, warping one end of the rope around his arms and bracing himself.

[sblock=OOC]


-----

When you spend an AP, you get a +1 on attacks.

[sblock=Mini stat block]
Riardon d'Caelis
Perception: 19 Insight: 14 Low-light Vision
AC 22 Fortitude 19 Reflex 19 Will 17
Initiative: +3
Hit Points: 54 / 54 Bloodied: 27
Temporary Hit Points: 0
Resist: -
Saving Throw: +5 vs Charm
Action Points: 1 Second Wind: 1
Healing Surge:13 Surges per day: 8 / 8
At-Will Powers: Directing Strike, Intuitive Strike
Encounter Powers: Inspiring Word 2/2, Battlefront Shift, Arcane Mutterings, Chilling Cloud, Warlords Favor, Steel Monsoon, Feystep, Rousing Words, Amulet of Life
Daily Powers: Calculated Assault, Stand the Fallen, Sunblade Burst

Condition:

[/sblock][/sblock]
 

BenBrown

First Post
Fenwick holds the other end of the rope, hopefully making it easier for his companions to cross the pit without falling in.

"Fenwick wait until last, because of superior athletic prowess."
 

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
GM: So we have two anchors. Do we have a climber?

Athletics Checks:


  • Anchors: DC 12 (Rolled) I imagine you'll make this with a +10 each, but there's always a chance something will go wrong ;)
  • Climbers: DC 15 (Rolled)

Failure:

  • Anchor: Both the anchoring character who failed the check and the climber fall into the pit taking 1d10 damage each at a spot 1d6 squares across the pit.
  • Climber: The climber falls into the pit taking 1d110 damage at a spot 1d6 squares across the pit.
Each anchor and the climber must roll once for each climb attempt. Thus each climber rolls only once, but Fenwick and Riardon must roll once for each climber (total of three times).
 
Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
Riardon

Riardon holds his position and the rope like he is anchored to the floor.

[sblock=OOC]

shall we do a short rest before this? There seems to be no rush and some of us were hit in the snake fight.

Hold the rope (1d20+10=21, 1d20+10=25, 1d20+10=29)

-----

When you spend an AP, you get a +1 on attacks.

[sblock=Mini stat block]
Riardon d'Caelis
Perception: 19 Insight: 14 Low-light Vision
AC 22 Fortitude 19 Reflex 19 Will 17
Initiative: +3
Hit Points: 54 / 54 Bloodied: 27
Temporary Hit Points: 0
Resist: -
Saving Throw: +5 vs Charm
Action Points: 1 Second Wind: 1
Healing Surge:13 Surges per day: 8 / 8
At-Will Powers: Directing Strike, Intuitive Strike
Encounter Powers: Inspiring Word 2/2, Battlefront Shift, Arcane Mutterings, Chilling Cloud, Warlords Favor, Steel Monsoon, Feystep, Rousing Words, Amulet of Life
Daily Powers: Calculated Assault, Stand the Fallen, Sunblade Burst

Condition:

[/sblock][/sblock]
 

evilbob

First Post
[sblock=ooc]Yeah, might as well rest.

So we get a +10 to our athletics check for a DC 12? Well I have the worst possible athletics - I add 1 - and I cannot fail the check (since even if I rolled a one, I add a total of 11). So do I need to roll?[/sblock]
 

Halloween Horror For 5E

Advertisement2

Advertisement4

Top