4E [Adventure] Little Workshop of Horrors (Judge: stonegod)

You follow Maerek into one of the Shard's back rooms. A table has been set with a couple pitchers of clear water and a few loaves of bread. "I think I'll wait for everyone who's going to show up to arrive before explaining what this job will entail," Maerek explains. "I prefer to not repeat myself. Until then, eat," he gestures at the food before him, "or drink, as you please. Perhaps get to know each other, but there will be time for that on the road as well." He then sits down and pours himself some water.

[sblock=General Info]Ideally, everyone would post at least once per day, especially during combats and skill challenges. We don't live in an ideal world, though, and sometimes delays are inevitable. Please let me know if you are going to be away for an extended period of time (like, 2+ days) so I can NPC you if necessary.

Turns will be resolved in the order they're posted in. Also, I'd like it if during combat, after you describe what your character is doing, everyone would put their actions and stats in little spoiler boxes, like so:

[sblock=Actions]Move: Move to I3, gaining concealment from Shadow Walk.
Minor: Curse gnome.
Standard: Flames of Phlegethos against the gnome. Hits Reflex 20 for 29 fire and 1 untyped. Hit or miss, 5 ongoing fire, save ends.[/sblock]

[sblock=mini-stats]Haruka Sato- human warlock 1
Initiative: +1 | Passive perception: 9 | Passive Insight: 15
AC: 15 | For: 15 | Ref: 15 | Will: 14
HP: 30/30+4 | Bloodied: 15 | Surge value: 7 | Surges: 7/10
Speed: 6 | Languages: Allarian, Tsugo
AP: 0 | Second Wind: not used
Basic Attack/Opportunity attack: +2 vs AC, 1d6
Powers: Eldritch Blast, Hellish Rebuke, Dire Radiance
Vampiric Embrace
Flames of Phlegethos

[/sblock]

This will help me keep track of everything during combat. Also, please have a link to your character sheet either in your signature or in the stat block (or both).

Everyone should choose a unique, non-white color for their character's voice. Right now I've reserved dark orange for Maerek, so you can't use that one. Unless you really want it.

There will be rewards, eventually. If you don't have a wishlist in your character sheet, you should be thinking of one. If you don't have one by the time I decide to start distributing treasure, I'll do my best to give you something awesome.[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
A waitress comes in a gets some order for food when she notices a rat eying her. Normally, you'd expect a shriek, but the waitress whips out a slender metal wand and obliterates the creature before any questions asked. Just holla if you need anything. We're always watch'n.
OOC: Its me or KD judging, so I'll volunteer.
 

Neurotic

Adventurer
The priest follows Maerek and seats himself. After short blessing of the food and water, he takes some and makes himself comfortable.

OOC: [MENTION=82251]TwoHeadsBarking[/MENTION], XP from The Eye of the Tiger, just got me over to 6th so I could spend RPs to get to 7th, but you said it's the adventure 4-6. Should I wait for this to finish to spend them? I don't mind waiting, just need to know before leveling Ven on the wiki.
 

GROMkill

Villager
The young elf, Belanaar, steps into the room, obviously having had a bit too much to drink. "I think I need some refreshment... Before I upchuck everywhere." He says the last part under his breath, as he pours himself a large glass of water from the pitcher, chugs half of it, and takes a ravenous bite of the bread.
 

Pentius

Villager
Canus enters the private room, following close to Belanaar. "Eat up that bread, boy, but take it slow. You don't wanna lose it." He takes a seat next to the elf, reaching out and tearing off a bit of bread for himself.
 
Maerek drums his fingers on the table. "Hmm, I was sure more were interested, but I suppose we'll have to start without them soon."

OOC: [MENTION=54810]renau1g[/MENTION] and [MENTION=55191]hornedturtle[/MENTION], you coming?
 

renau1g

Villager
The door opens to the private room and the human who only recently entered the tavern comes in.

"Greetings, I don't believe we've had a chance to get introduced. Riaan Caldamus, warrior, scholar, and knowledge seeker." the man states
 
"Well, this is probably enough. Perhaps more will come in before we depart."

The man stands, looking over all of you, "My name is Maerek Hezren. As I said before, I'm looking to hire you to escort, well, me. I need to get to the workshop of one of my colleagues. Well, more like a mentor than colleague."

He shakes his head, as though trying to remain on topic, "This man, Thurven, has a private workshop a few days travel from Sharn. Over the past couple weeks there have been some disconcerting rumors coming from that direction. Apparently the workshop's doors have been sealed shut, and nobody's entered or left in some time. Thurven's always been a bit eccentric, but I'm starting to get worried. As such, I'd like to check on him, make sure everything's fine."

"This is where you come in. The roads to his workshop aren't exactly known for their safety, and I'd prefer to not be waylaid by bandits with no means to defend myself. And... there's always the chance that something has gone wrong within the workshop. If so, I owe it to Thurven to help him. And you will of course be reimbursed for your assistance."

"Well, that's the job. Any questions?"
 

Pentius

Villager
Canus runs his gaze over the man's accoutrements. "So, you want us to go fighting through hordes of desperate bandits just to pry open the doors of a sealed tower and see the darkest reaches of a mad artificer's mind? I haven't had this much excitement since the War. I'm in."
 

GROMkill

Villager
Despite his mind being clouded by the alcohol's effects, Belanaar still semi-clearly considers the offer for a job. Thinking back to his time on the street, consuming only what was offered on the table, Belanaar decides he doesn't want to go back to being flat-broke.

However, his mind and his speech are on different pages, and the young elf clumsily stumbles over his words as he tries to speak his thoughts.

"Reimb-bursement you say... Sounds *hic* intriguing, my g-g-good friend!" He laughs at how silly he sounds, but that hurts his stomach.

"Maybe the madman has some pricey tools and valuable collections he wouldn't miss, too..." he thinks.
 

Pentius

Villager
"And I promise I'll keep any alcohol away from this twerp, assuming he's even willing to touch it after tonight." Canus interjects, with a wry grin.
 

GROMkill

Villager
Belanaar sits uncomfortably, feeling very sick to his stomach. Looking to Canus, he responds. "Oh, don't you w-w-worry, old man, I... *burp* have had enough of this shtuff..."

Turning back to their host, Belanaar raises his voice again, steeling himself against the alcohol's effects on his speech and stomach alike. "You mentioned that Thurven is your colleague. W-what kind of work are you an-n-nd Thurven in? I'm curious to know more about you before we t-take off."
 

Neurotic

Adventurer
"I knew it wouldn't be as simple as that. One does not wonder into The Shard for simple escort. Still, I will go. You or Master Thurven may need healing after all is said and done."

"Belanaar, allow me..." the priest lays his hands down on elfs head and healing energies pour out easing some of the simptoms.

In the head of a boy echo two voices
"You have nothing to prove to others, just to yourself."
 

GROMkill

Villager
After failing in his attempts to stubbornly wriggle out of the priest's soothing hands, the young elf's stomach cramping and nausea seem to disappear. Still under the impairment, however, Belanaar's thanks are a bit slurred.

"T-thank you... W-wh-what was your name again?" He asks the man, curious to meet his saviour.
 

renau1g

Villager
Riaan listens intently and watches the others, "Hmmm, very well, I shall join you also, perhaps I can also glean some additional insight into the arcane studies from your mentor." the man says, shaking his head at the inebriated elf.
 
Turning back to their host, Belanaar raises his voice again, steeling himself against the alcohol's effects on his speech and stomach alike. "You mentioned that Thurven is your colleague. W-what kind of work are you an-n-nd Thurven in? I'm curious to know more about you before we t-take off."
"Of course. We are both artificers. But I should clarify something: Thurven and I do not work together. At least, not anymore." He pauses for a moment, thinking about what he just said, "Oh! I don't mean to imply that there was a falling out. We simply work in different fields. I prefer to deal with theory, while he is far more interested in application."

Riaan listens intently and watches the others, "Hmmm, very well, I shall join you also, perhaps I can also glean some additional insight into the arcane studies from your mentor." the man says, shaking his head at the inebriated elf.
Maerek smiles, "Thurven does enjoy tutoring others. If you show sufficient aptitude and interest, I doubt he'll turn you away."

"Well, if that is all, shall we be off?"
 

Advertisement

Top