Adventure: Love Bites

covaithe

Explorer
Round 1

Atreus, Woe, and Mikara quickly bring ranged weapons to bear, preparing to fire when the beast is in range.

The dragon glides in. Its jaws seem oversized even for its large frame; typical of the young of its kind. Those with weapons ready fire, but when the projectiles fall away, only Woe's javelin has any blood at the tip.

Tristan considers his options, while examining the dragon carefully. He notes a faint chemical smell as the wind swirls.

[sblock=Tristan]Breath is acid-based. And naturally it resists acid, too. [/sblock]

Hacker and Kathalia fumble their bows into play, but their shaking hands send their shots wide.

[sblock=ooc]I took the liberty of spending a surge on Hacker's behalf, bringing him to full. Please double check me on the rest of your HP; I went through it carefully once, but then enworld ate my post, and the second time is from memory. :grr:

Dragon's init is 17, so Atreus, Woe, and Mikara go first.

Atreus can't shroud (close burst 10). He readies an attack.

Woe readies an attack. I assume he's marking the dragon?

Mikara moves up, quarries, and readies.

The dragon moves in. It's now 16 squares away and 4 squares above ground. Of the readied attacks, only Woe's hits, for 7 damage.

I'm interpreting Tristan's turn as a delay, since both of his actions are out of range. You can still act before the dragon goes again, this way.

Hacker and Kathalia miss. Kathalia's move is fine; I'm sure everyone knows that dragons have breath weapons.

Tristan, Atreus, Woe, and Mikara are up.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Initiative and status]

• Atreus 39/39 hp, 9/9 surges
  • Woe 45/46 hp, 9/11 surges
  • Mikara 34/34 hp, 5/7 surges
  • Dragon 7 damage, mikara's quarry, marked by Woe
  • Kathalia 36/36 hp, 7/9 surges
  • Hacker 36/36 hp, 6/9 surges
  • Tristan 32/34 hp, 8/9 surges <== You're up

Resources Used:
  • Kathalia: Fires of Life
  • Atreus: AP
  • Mikara: AP
  • Hacker: AP, Concerted effort
  • Tristan: AP, Luckblade, 1 daily magic item power

[/sblock]

[sblock=enemy stats]Dragon: HP 260, AC 23, Fort 22, Ref 21, Will 21. BMA +10 vs. AC, 1d8+5 damage and the target is immobilized and takes 5 ongoing damage (save ends both)
[/sblock]

[sblock=map]
lakebed01.png

The hill near T30 is low, only 5' higher at the top than at the bottom. It could theoretically give cover or possibly improved cover in the right circumstances.

The cactus takes up all of the square that its trunk is in; it can be used for cover or improved cover like any tree.

The rock in M5-N7 is about 3 feet high, and can provide cover.

[/sblock]

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
[sblock=Tactics]At least until the dragon gets close enough for melee, I'd like to stay in the front of the group to take advantage of prime shot, so as I fall back this turn, see if you can keep me in between yourself and the dragon.[/sblock]

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
Mikara, disappointed by her lack of accuracy, lets fly again. This time her arrow finds a mark, burying itself in the dragon's shoulder right between the wing and the forearm. The beast howls in pain as acidic blood begins to soak into the arid earth.

That's right. Bleed. The hanged man needs a new set of glass windows.

[sblock=Actions]Standard: Hunter's Bear Trap
Target: The dragon
Attack: 1d20+9+1(PS)=28 Hit
Damage: 2d10+6=13 + 1d8 (HQ) = 2 + OG 5
Effect: Dragon is slowed (save ends both slowed and OG 5)
Move: O13

OK. That bought us some time. I figure that dragon is worth a daily, even if the damage is less than I had hoped :erm:.[/sblock]Satisfied, but not stupid, she drops back to stay out of the wyrm's reach.

Atriden

First Post
Atreus curses his misfortune in Tseugo, as he sees his bolt fly towards the dragon without any effect but watches Mikara's recent display with pleasure as the dragon howls in pain " Well shot, Elf "

Quickly he pushes the handle that reloads the crossbow but does not fire. Instead he grabs a small bottle dangling at his belt and applies its black con'tains on the bolt head. With a grin he moves away from the others and awaits the dragon's approach.

[sblock=Actions]
Free Action: Reloads crossbow
Minor: Fetches Blood Stinger Poison from his belt
Standard: Applies Blood stinger poison to the bolt. If he hits with his next attack, he gets to make a secondary attack, +6 vs Fort. and if that hits the dragon gets ongoing 5 poison damage until it saves.
Move Action: Moves to [n,22] - so if the dragon moves 4 sq's next round towards us, it should be 10 sq's from Atreus
[/sblock]

[sblock=Tactics]
Yeps, lets scatter towards the rock, but I will try to use the opportunity to go a bit closer to get a better shot at the dragon, and the run towards the rock
[/sblock]

Last edited:

nerdytenor

First Post
Kathalia observes Mikara's expert shot with a strange mixture of gratitude and jealousy.

"OK, OK, that was pretty good," she says.

// That was awesome! Hopefully the dragon will be unlucky with its saves...

Dunamin

First Post
Like an overjoyed child Woe crouches, whistles sharply, and pats his knee – calling the dragon as one would a puppy.

“Who’s a good boy? Whossa good boy?! You are, Dragon-Jaws, you are! Oh yes you are!”

“Here’s another treat because I wuv you sooo much!”

Woe flings another javelin at the gray dragon while skipping back, but is too giddy to focus his aim.

[sblock=Actions]
Minor: Draw javelin.
Standard: Woe throws at the dragon, hitting AC 14 for 8 damage (with long range taken into account).
Move: To L13.

Nice work having Mikara slow it down.

Woe Chinua - Human Fighter 3
Passive Perception 12, Passive Insight 12
AC 20, Fort 19, Reflex 17, Will 14
HP 45/46, Bloodied 23, Surge Value 11, Surges 10/11
Speed 5, Initiative +3
Action Points: 1, Second Wind
Powers: Cleave, Knockdown Assault, Tide of Iron; Pass Forward; Spear of Myrdroon's Shard, Heavy Throwing Shield;
Passing Attack, Rain of Blows;
Comeback Strike, Inspiring Word; Spear of Myrdroon's Shard, Heavy Throwing Shield
[/sblock]

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
Tristan slowly retreats with his allies as well, waiting for the dragon to move closer. "Its bite is acidic, in case anyone can do anything about that," he comments offhandedly.
[sblock=Actions]Move: to H13
Minor: none.
Standard: Ready action to attack dragon with Radiant Vengeance if it comes within range. Nat 1, so it'll miss horribly anyway.

I agree with moving back towards the rock. We'll probably need any advantage we can get, and with Mikara slowing him down it'll give us some time to soften him up before we get into melee.[/sblock]
[sblock=Tristan stats]Tristan Moonblade - Male Elf Avenger (Dayna) 2
Passive Perception: 22, Passive Insight: 15; Low-light vision
AC:18(19), Fort:15, Reflex:17, Will:17 -- Speed:7
HP:32/34, Bloodied:17, Surge Value:8, Surges Left:8/9
+2 item bonus to saves vs. poison keyword, weakened, slowed, immobilized.
Action Points: 0, Second Wind: available
Powers
Bond of Pursuit
Radiant Vengeance

Angelic Alacrity
Avenger's Resolve
Channel Divinity
Elven Accuracy
Oath of Enmity

Oath of the Final Duel
Luckblade

Group Awareness: All non-elf allies within 5 squares of Tristan gain a +1 bonus to Perception.
+1 AC vs. first attack against me in the encounter.

[/sblock]

Last edited:

covaithe

Explorer
Round 2

Mikara aims carefully, and her arrow penetrates deep into the dragon's shoulder joint. Its flight becomes erratic and slow, and its movements jar the arrow in the wound, causing further damage.

Tristan and Woe move back, the latter flinging another javelin without success.

Atreus carefully poisons a crossbow bolt and moves forward, directly into the dragon's path.

[sblock=ooc]Sorry, I had forgotten that this was only a partial round, and I was waiting for the rest of the updates! Oops. :blush:

Tristan moves back and readies an attack.

Mikara hits for 15, and the dragon takes 5 ongoing damage and is slowed (save ends both)

Atreus loads and poisons a bolt, and moves forward.

Woe misses and moves back.

The dragon takes 5 ongoing damage. It moves forward as much as its slowed speed carries it. It fails to save.

Everyone is up.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Initiative and status]

• Atreus 39/39 hp, 9/9 surges
  • Woe 45/46 hp, 9/11 surges
  • Mikara 34/34 hp, 5/7 surges
  • Dragon 27 damage, mikara's quarry, marked by Woe, 5 ongoing damage and slowed (save ends both)
  • Kathalia 36/36 hp, 7/9 surges
  • Hacker 36/36 hp, 6/9 surges
  • Tristan 32/34 hp, 8/9 surges <== You're up

Resources Used:
  • Kathalia: Fires of Life
  • Atreus: AP
  • Mikara: AP, Hunter's Bear Trap
  • Hacker: AP, Concerted effort
  • Tristan: AP, Luckblade, 1 daily magic item power

[/sblock]

[sblock=enemy stats]Dragon: HP 260, AC 23, Fort 22, Ref 21, Will 21. BMA +10 vs. AC, 1d8+5 damage and the target is immobilized and takes 5 ongoing damage (save ends both)
[/sblock]

[sblock=map]
lakebed02.png

The hill near T30 is low, only 5' higher at the top than at the bottom. It could theoretically give cover or possibly improved cover in the right circumstances.

The cactus takes up all of the square that its trunk is in; it can be used for cover or improved cover like any tree.

The rock in M5-N7 is about 3 feet high, and can provide cover.

[/sblock]

Remove ads