• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Adventure:-- LPNN (Manzanita Judging)

two

First Post
rln said:
Ogrin bleeds, bringing him to -5.

OOC: A wererat with a silver necklace? Must be a masochist wererat!

All that's silvery isn't necessarily... well.. silver.

Doesn't sound as good as the "glitters/gold" version.

Last edited:

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
OOC: Good gods! This is the busiest thread ev-ar. I go away for two stinkin' days and the DM is already yelling at me to go! SORRY! =P

Razh is getting quite angry now. He can hardly ever manage to get a hit on this guy, and when he does the impossible, it doesn't even hurt! Not to mention there's a swarm of angry, bloodsucking bats and he's hurt and bleeding profusely. Let it be known: Rasereit Vundinn is quite pissed. But apparently not pissed enough to fall into a rage. His wounds have become quite severe, and he takes a short break in his barrage of attacks to step back and swallow down a cure moderate wounds potion.

OOC: I'm not sure on the rules here, perhaps someone can help me. I looked in the SRD, but really, I don't know where to look. Razh has the potion on his belt which is strapped across his chest (I swear! Check his character sheet!) I'm going to assume that it's a MEA to get the potion and then (as per the rules of potions) a standard action that provokes an AoO to drink it. Here's my question: I could've sworn that somewhere there was some action you could take to avoid getting AoO, like fighting defensively or something. This could be wishful thinking though. =_( And also, since the potion's on the belt, is that a free action to grab it? Or is the standard action of drinking the potion all-inclusive, like, it includes the actual grabbing of said potion? Taking a 5' step back should move Razh out of Stinker's threat range, actually, but still, in case he can't for some unforseen reason... Help me! So many rules!

Summary: Free-5' step back, MEA-'draws' potion, SA-drinks potion (2d8+3)

Status Report: HP: 10/27. AC: 17. Attack w/ silvered arrow: +1 (+5-4), 1d4+3 damage. Fort save vs. nausea from bats: +5.

Bront

The man with the probe
Rae ArdGaoth said:
OOC: I'm not sure on the rules here, perhaps someone can help me. I looked in the SRD, but really, I don't know where to look. Razh has the potion on his belt which is strapped across his chest (I swear! Check his character sheet!) I'm going to assume that it's a MEA to get the potion and then (as per the rules of potions) a standard action that provokes an AoO to drink it. Here's my question: I could've sworn that somewhere there was some action you could take to avoid getting AoO, like fighting defensively or something. This could be wishful thinking though. =_( And also, since the potion's on the belt, is that a free action to grab it? Or is the standard action of drinking the potion all-inclusive, like, it includes the actual grabbing of said potion? Taking a 5' step back should move Razh out of Stinker's threat range, actually, but still, in case he can't for some unforseen reason... Help me! So many rules!
per SRD under standard actions:
Activate Magic Item
Many magic items don’t need to be activated. However, certain magic items need to be activated, especially potions, scrolls, wands, rods, and staffs. Activating a magic item is a standard action (unless the item description indicates otherwise).

Spell Completion Items
Activating a spell completion item is the equivalent of casting a spell. It requires concentration and provokes attacks of opportunity. You lose the spell if your concentration is broken, and you can attempt to activate the item while on the defensive, as with casting a spell.

Spell Trigger, Command Word, or Use-Activated Items
Activating any of these kinds of items does not require concentration and does not provoke attacks of opportunity.
A potion is a use activated item
srd said:
Use Activated
This type of item simply has to be used in order to activate it. A character has to drink a potion, swing a sword, interpose a shield to deflect a blow in combat, look through a lens, sprinkle dust, wear a ring, or don a hat. Use activation is generally straightforward and self-explanatory.
So no AoO from drinking one. (Which must have changed, I remember it being the other way, oh well)

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Odd, because it says right here:
SRD said:
Drinking a potion or using an oil on an item of gear is a standard action. The potion or oil takes effect immediately. Using a potion or oil provokes attacks of opportunity. A successful attack (including grappling attacks) against the character forces a Concentration check (as for casting a spell). If the character fails this check, she cannot drink the potion. An enemy may direct an attack of opportunity against the potion or oil container rather than against the character. A successful attack of this sort can destroy the container.
Is there some errata or newer SRD that I don't have? (I d/led the whole thing onto my computer for easy access) Hmm... Ah! And in the PHB v3.5, it says on p141 on that table of Standard Actions and whether or not they provoke an AoO:
PHB v3.5 said:
Drink a potion or apply an oil - Yes
So it may be disadvantageous for poor Razh, but since he's out of the threat range, it shouldn't matter... right? ::hope::

Xael

First Post
Rae ArdGaoth said:
So it may be disadvantageous for poor Razh, but since he's out of the threat range, it shouldn't matter... right? ::hope::
OOC: Just take a 5ft-step back and it doesn't matter...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads