[Adventure] Marna is Missing (DM: pacdidj, Judge: renau1g)

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
THE SHADOWRIFT? IT IS A DANGEROUS PLACE, EVEN THOSE WHO LIVE NEAR IT FIND IT SO! I SUGGEST WE HEAD THERE, FOR WITH A NAME LIKE SHADOWRIFT, IT MUST BE THE SOURCE OF THE WARLOCK LEAK! MARNA WILL BE AVENGED!

[sblock=OOC]I don't really know what's going on, but that's fine since Sir Exsixten doesn't either (not that he ever really does). He'll just tag along with whatever you decide.[/sblock]

samursus

Explorer
"I'll take the watch in the darkest part of the night, as my vision is good and I know the jungle fairly well...." Ferris offers...

[sblock=ooc] I am up for whatever... Shifter village or heading straight for the ruins...I think the humans are a wash atm, because if we are being played, without proof, they probably won't admit to anything. [/sblock]

"I was thining on suggesting a stakeout. I can live with one sleepless night and sir exsixten can keep me company. Except I'll be hidden thanks to your skills" he indicates the shifter "and he'll be one seemingly on guard. There isn't much that can pass me by easily withouz being noticed. We could head out to shifters, but I'm thinking our primary purpose there would be to assuage fear and suspicion, not to find the guilty party. How long should traveling there take?"

OOC: Metagaming a bit: without lost surges, daily powers or essentialy any other resource, I'm good with loosing extended rest (he slept enough on the ship :p)

Going to shifters seems like coming back to the gnomes, we'll hear about their trouble, suspicion of gnomes and then we'll head toward ruins. Let's catch those little b*****ds that Sir Ex didn't think important enough to mention them on his last guard.

pacdidj

First Post
"We could head out to shifters, but I'm thinking our primary purpose there would be to assuage fear and suspicion, not to find the guilty party. How long should traveling there take?"

"It would be 2 days strenuous hiking to reach the camps on Moonshadow Lake, if you decide to pay our neighbors a visit, as you'll have to negotiate the highest pass over the Turtlespine Mountains, and circle around the northern edge of the lake that borders on the Shadowrift," Fizzenden replies, "If you wish to visit one of the ruin sites the trip may take even longer, the closest are 2 days journey, while the Baerdun catacombs are a full 5-day trek from here, as it is necessary to skirt around the edges of the Shadowrift."

[sblock=ooc]We'll wait to see if Dekana has anything to add. So far, it looks like Alnar wants to see the shifters, Sir Exsixten and Ferris have no preference, and Cyr is undecided. I'll update once we've got a majority opinion.[/sblock]

Dekana

Explorer
[sblock=ooc]I agree with Samursus. If the humans are manipulating us, there's no point confronting them until we can prove it. I'll toss my vote in with Alnar that we should go see the shifters. They at least are acting oddly, so it's a place to start.

Oh, and I'll be switching to a new ISP on Tuesday. I should be able to post much more reliably after that.[/sblock]

"Whichever way we go, it would appear that the Shadowrift will be near." Jezebel uncrosses her arms and faces Fizzenden. "Have you any advice for the journey? Most of us are newcomers to the area. We would not want to stumble onto another nest of oversized mosquitoes."

After getting her answer, the tiefling takes up the offer of rest for the night. She offers to take a watch when it is darkest out.

pacdidj

First Post
"Whichever way we go, it would appear that the Shadowrift will be near." Jezebel uncrosses her arms and faces Fizzenden. "Have you any advice for the journey? Most of us are newcomers to the area. We would not want to stumble onto another nest of oversized mosquitoes."

"Hmm, yes. Well if you are intent on visiting Snarl's people, you'll need to circumnavigate Moonshadow Lake. You shouldn't run into too much trouble with wildlife on the way there. The jungle denizens aren't as prevalent in this high-country. But, the Lake itself does border on the Shadowrift, and it can be difficult to keep your bearings there where the veil between worlds is at its most hazy. You should keep the lake constantly within your sights, else you might stumble fully into Herebos, and that fell realm is not a hospitable place for the living."

"It used to be that an old hermit, a shifter by the name of Sprout ran a ferry service across the lake to facilitate trade and communication between our peoples, but I haven't seen him, or his raft near the shores for more than a year. Not since things have grown so tense between our peoples. I think he must live somewhere close by though,"
Fizzenden replies.

With that, the party sets to work, helping the motley gnome repair his door, using both hammer and nails as well as arcane and divine energies to mend the splintered and ruined boards. Just as it is being re-hung on its hinges, Draco returns as the sun is beginning to set. He reports nothing particularly unusual, just that the farm animals seem on-edge, and the gnomes have all barred their doors and shuttered their windows hoping to keep out night-time mischief makers.

After repairing the door, you all enjoy an excellent and savory-smelling repast of stewed mushrooms, wild rice, and goat cheese prepared by the gnome leader. And at the end of the meal, Hyrellon the cleric prepares to take his leave. "I must return to my own dwellings now Ferris, my son, and see that things are in order. I'm afraid I have nothing to offer to aid you in your investigations, besides Dayna's blessings."

The cleric turns to each of the party members in turn, chanting a few words of benediction on a simple two-note melody, and sprinkling each of you with a pinch of pollen from a small pouch tucked into his sash. He then bows and departs.

[sblock=Dayna's Blessing]Once within the next 24 hours, or before the end of the next extended rest, each PC may choose to end the blessing to take a +2 bonus on a single skill check or attack roll. You may apply the bonus after making the roll.[/sblock]

[sblock=ooc]So, I'm taking it that the party consensus is sleep now, then set out for the shifter camps in the morning?

Does this watch order work for everyone?:
1st Shift - Sir Exsixten and Draco
2nd Shift - Ferris and Cyr
3rd Shift - Jezebel and Alnar[/sblock]

Luinnar

First Post
[sblock=ooc]Couldn't Draco and Sir Exsixten be on watch all night? (since Draco does not need to sleep (unless I am remembering wrong) and Sir Exsixten goes into Standby Mode to sleep, or wherever it is called.)

If so Alnar or Jezebel could change to the first shift.
[/sblock]

pacdidj

First Post
[sblock=ooc]X610 and Draco could certainly stand watch all night. They don't have the best perception or low-light vision though. I see that Cyr volunteered to stand guard all night as well though. Missed that in my earlier post. Would this arrangement okay with everyone: Cyr, Sir X610, and Draco for the whole evening? Cyr would need to make an endurance check to sustain his alertness and avoid fatigue if he wishes to stand guard through the whole night.[/sblock]

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
VERILY, THE MEATBAGS OF JUSTICE WILL ACTIVATE DEACTIVATION MODE BEFORE WE DEPART TO SHUT DOWN THE SHADOWRIFT. ON THE MORROW WE SHALL FILL THE RIFT WITH BURNING JUSTICE UNTIL IT THE SHADOWFELL ITSELF WELDS IT SHUT TO KEEP SIR EXSIXTEN AND THE CITIZENS OF JUSTICE AT BAY.

He turns to the departing gnome. FAREWELL LITTLE GNOMLING, I WILL REPAY YOUR BENEDICTION WITH THE BLESSING OF THE ORDER OF THE RED PLUS: MAY THE MOST DESPICABLE, WRETCHED, TERRIBLE CURSE OF UNENDING, MERCILESS AGONY NEVER FALL UPON YOU OR ANY THAT YOU WOULD CLAIM AS DEPENDENTS, COMPATRIOTS, LIVESTOCK, PORTABLE POSSESSIONS, VENERATED ANCESTORS, OR METHODS OF TRANSPORTATION!

He walks to the center of the village, cups his hands near his mouth and booms out: DIMINUTIVE AMBLING MEAT-SNACKS, LET THE PREDATIONS OF HUNGRY SLEEP TRACK YOU DOWN IN YOUR HOMES TO YOUR VERY BEDS, THERE TO DRAG YOU INTO THE ABYSSAL DEPTHS OF DARK SLUMBER. SIR EXSIXTEN AND THE CITIZENS OF JUSTICE WILL WATCH YOUR HOUSES TO BE SURE NO HORRIBLE MONSTROSITY RENDS THEIR FRAGILE WALLS AND FEASTS ON YOUR SOMNAMBULENT CORPSES, YOU WILL NOT DIE IN SCREAMING TORMENT AT THE CLAWS AND TERRIBLE MAWS OF BLEAK THINGS FROM THE DEPTHS OF THE HELLS WHILE SUCH AS WE STAND GUARD!

[sblock=OOC]Whoever wants to stay up with Sir Exsixten is fine by me, though they'll have to put up with him all night. :p[/sblock]

Dekana

Explorer
[sblock=ooc]Jezebel won't turn down the chance for a full night's rest if the others are offering to lose their own sleep.

Mmm... goat cheese...[/sblock]

Remove ads