[Adventure] Marna is Missing (DM: pacdidj, Judge: renau1g)

I offered explicitely NOT to be with Sir Ex (he can serve as focus for the attackers), but hidden somewhere where more nature oriented party members put him (as aid another in stealth?)

Cyr inspects various hiding places for the night and picks a spot that has good oversight and seems comfortable enough to spend the night in and not comfortable enough to be conductive to sleep. Entering his meditations he recalls back to countless stake-outs and ambushes he executed as a soldier and applies the knowledge to improve his hiding a bit. He takes care to seemingly pick one position and then change to another when Sir Ex doesn't look so his 'inner monologue' doesn't give him away.

"Good night everyone. Sleep light with weapons close to hand."
Here are my rolls for the night (and what a seria 18,18,20,16):
Endurance(1d20+1=19); Nature (1d20+6=24); Perception(1d20+11=31); Stealth (1d20=16)[url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2583710/]Memory of Thousand Lifetimes to Stealth (1d6=1)[/url]. Total 17 :(
With all these good rolls it would be terrible if something didn't happen as I'll be useless in next fight (with all good rolls gone :p )

pacdidj

First Post
Full of the savory gnomish stew, Jezebel, Alnar, and Ferris retire to the bedrolls and blankets that the gnomish leader unfurls on the great room floor, while Fizzenden retires to his bedroom in the back of the large dwelling.

Sir Exsixten and Cyr meanwhile, ready themselves for a long night on watch, accompanied by the small dragonling. Sir Exsixten, paired with the dragonling, takes up a position in the center of the small village, just outside Fizzenden's home, while Cyr heads to the southern edge of the glade where the small footpath leads into the gnomish village. The deva takes what he figures to be a reasonably well-hidden position that offers a view of both the footpath and the central clearing of the village.

The first two hours of the watch pass relatively uneventfully, save for Draco's having to endure the mechanical knight's incessant monologue. But sometime after midnight the woods around the clearing grow unnervingly quiet.

[sblock=Skill Challenge - Nighttime Visitations]Round 1
Primary Skills:
Arcana - DC 18
Perception - Darkvision DC 19; Low-light DC 21; Normal DC 23

Secondary Skills:
Nature - can be used for aid another

I need rolls Sir Exsixten and Draco. I'll take Cyr's perception check from the above post. Sleeping PCs will not act this round. This initial round doesn't count toward success or failure in the overall challenge, but will have consequences or benefits for the next round.

For each round please narrate your character's actions and post your roll. Please make only one skill check per round per player. I'll indicate primary skills for each round, as well as secondary skills and what they can be used for. Aid another using one of the primary skills is always an option, but please note the updated Aid Another rules that implement scaling DCs and penalties for failure.

If you have an idea for a non-skill check action such as the use of a power for your turn, or you think of a way to apply a non-primary or secondary skill, run it by me and I'll let you know if and how it can be applied to the present round.

There will be gaps between some of the rounds in which you're free to take whatever action you'd like.[/sblock]

Luinnar

First Post
Draco flies around looking for intruders with his arcane senses. He does not want to disappoint Alnar, perhaps he would be given some of that yummy looking stew later if he does good. Thinking of this makes him miss the presense looming in the village however.

[sblock=Arcane 13]
Roll
[/sblock]

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
[sblock=Perception 14]1d20+2=14, sorry about the delay, got caught up in the Iron DM challenge, buddies arriving from out of town, and running the two adventures I was in. Thought I posted Sir Exsixten's roll but I guess I didn't! Edit: in second thought, I couldn't even make that 23 DC for Perception, guess I should have read the Skill Challenge more closely and rolled my -1 Arcana so I'd have a chance! Oh well, too late now[/sblock]

I need rolls Sir Exsixten and Draco. I'll take Cyr's perception check from the above post. Sleeping PCs will not act this round. This initial round doesn't count toward success or failure in the overall challenge, but will have consequences or benefits for the next round.
Luckily, you just made it harder for us, but didn't get actual failure...don't compete with Cyr for perception :p

pacdidj

First Post
Sir Exsixten and draco, unable to see or detect much of anything in the still darkness remain oblivious to the goings on at the edge of the clearing. But Cyr spots something: on the other end of the village, at the easternmost edge of the clearing, the deva can barely make-out four small cloaked figures, about half his own height, huddled in conversation.

Before he can close the distance required to warn the others, or observe the figures more closely though, Cyr is startled to see each of them draw a shortbow and fire a volley of flaming arrows into the gnomish village. Several thatched roofs catch fire, including that of Fizzenden's home, as well as a haystack in a nearby goat pasture.

The crackling of flames, combined with Draco's shrieking wakes everyone inside Fizzenden's house, and the bleary-eyed party stumbles outside followed closely by the gnomish leader to see gnomes, milling about everywhere in a panic, trying to put out their blazing houses. Through body language, Draco frantically tries to indicate to anyone paying attention that the volley of arrows came from the east. Fizzenden, meanwhile refuses any offers of help saying angrily, "We will take care of the flames, don't worry about us. Go after them! Go!"

Looking around though, the party realizes that the assailants have fled back into the forest.

[sblock="Skill Challenge - Nighttime Visitations"]Round 2
Primary Skills:
Arcana - DC 15
Perception - Darkvision DC 13; Low-light DC 15; Normal DC 17

Secondary Skills:
Nature, Insight - One or the other of these skills can be used to gain a total of one success in this round of the challenge

You need successes in Arcana or Perception here to determine the path the cloaked assailants took through the forest. You are also welcome to do something here besides pursue, but the DC to pursue will increase the longer you delay should you again decide to take up the search.

Overall success/failure in this round will affect DCs next round. Cyr can take a +2 bonus to his check this round, due to his crit perception check in round 1.

Overall progress: 0 success, 0 failures

For each round please narrate your character's actions and post your roll. Please make only one skill check per round per player. I'll indicate primary skills for each round, as well as secondary skills and what they can be used for. Aid another using one of the primary skills is always an option, but please note the updated Aid Another rules that implement scaling DCs and penalties for failure.

If you have an idea for a non-skill check action such as the use of a power for your turn, or you think of a way to apply a non-primary or secondary skill, run it by me and I'll let you know if and how it can be applied to the present round.[/sblock]

How distant were they when they attacked i.e. can I get into range within round? No matter, skill challenge I just wanted to mark them with some light...(Hand of Radiance hits 3 targets...but that could be construed as aid another?)

Bursting from his cover, Cyr breaks his habit of dignity and sprints by oblivious warforged knight.
"There, they shot from under behind that bush!"
He then remembers that ritual sacrifice accompanies many rituals and focuses his senses aided by the darkness which reduces distractions and his knowledge of exactly where to focus.

He feels the threads of magical weave in the darkness that thug him toward attackers.

Arcana (1d20+9+2=19)

Last edited:

samursus

Explorer
Ferris quickly gathers his sleep addled wits about him and gathers in the scene. Between the shouts and screams and the primal dance of the firelight it takes a few seconds...

After seeing Cyr sprint off into the jungle, apparently after the perpetrators, Ferris tries to judge a likely path of interception, based on his knowledge of the local terrain.

Nature check=23

"Nobody die before I get there..." Ferris grumbles to himself in a low voice.

pacdidj

First Post
[sblock=ooc]@Metavoid - They were about 80 yards (240 ft. or 48 squares away). Probably out of range of Hand of Radiance even if you burned an AP to do a triple move.

@Luinnar - Everybody needs to roll this round to make sure that the entire party has their wits about them. If you fail a perception/arcana check Alnar will start to fall behind, as he's not able to clearly follow the trail that Cyr is blazing (Also, in metagame this round counts toward overall success/failure in the challenge). Of course, you can always use your roll as an aid another to help Jezebel or Sir Exsixten with their check.[/sblock]

Remove ads