[Adventure OOC]: Shards of Eldanarth (DM: MadAzolin)

MadAzolin

First Post
[MENTION=79956]dimsdale[/MENTION]: combat is going slightly slow, please try to post within 48 hours of new round if possible [meaning as soon as possible for this one :) ]

dimsdale

First Post
sorry MadAzolin. Just ending a two week period where I didn't have very much access to internet. Lerrick wont slow anyone down any more :)

MadAzolin

First Post
let's keep OOC discussions here, makes it bit more readable:
[MENTION=75065]jbear[/MENTION] (and others :) :
- yup, getting two hits in a round with highest defense char when no one else is hit is bit... annoying; loot it on the bright side however - if anyone else was in that position, he would have gone splat... one of problems with 4e (and d20 systems overall) is kinda rough random generator
- as for burst attack of bear, well... it is burst 3, sry if it gave impression it was 'made bigger' just to hit you [and yea, their auras are 2] :(
- as for other effects, you might get impression that monsters are doing multiple actions while dazed (but keep in mind that I am treating their aura as 'action' on their turn to make everyone's life bit less miserable, but in fact it is not really an action; also yea, they do make two attacks with MBA, some elite monsters tend to do so)

as for other stuff, displaying or not displaying dice rolls for monsters is tricky part, personally I prefer not to for various reasons, including (but not limited to):
- less bookkeeping for myself
- it gives lot of extra info about monsters to PCs (strictly speaking giving PCs monster stats should not be done either, but in this format, it would just be asking for extra pain not to)
- it tends to invoke whole lot of argument about dice rolls; yea, DM can miscalculate - it happens, but it tends to be easier to just skip over it and go on then to lose more time arguing about it
- DM's job it to keep things under control; if that means monsters cheat on occasion, then so be it (and contrary to popular belief, 'cheating' is more often to benefit of PCs then against them)
- if DM displays dice rolls, DM can still cheat, so this is no-argument anyway
- no, DM won't fake pair of crits against single PC; put yourself in DM's position - what's the point?

however, I am aware of cons, main of which is that subjective feeling everyone of us has to like seeing dice rolls (no matter how meaningless they might be :) ), so
we can do majority vote for / against monster dice-rolls

also, please guys, I don't have slightest intention to skip someone's actions or to address someone's actions to someone else... yea, I tend to mix Metavoid / Cyr with jbear / Kane (don't ask me why, might be char names or something)..., so if you see any mixups or situations where someone's ability / trigger or power did not get activated, please just say so (and it is perfectly fair to ask for explanation, even if answer you get is 'well... your character is not sure why/how it happened'), it (likely :}) wasn't intended; on occasion you might come against monsters or situations where your ability are blatantly ignored, disabled or otherwise avoided, but as a rule you _will_ get warning it happened (best examples being monsters immune to something you throw at them);

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
On the other hand, having basic attack (at least) listed along with it's special effect and to hit mod enables players to plan around OAs (that is, if monster OA immobilizes and I decide to risk it due to say +5 to AC or bane -4 to hit) I can roll and see if I get to finish my turn or am stuck next to the beast...this in particular may come in handy when I use close blast and have cursed enemy and concealment (effective +4 AC without any additional buffs)

EDIT: [MENTION=75065]jbear[/MENTION], I've tried to prevail on our DM toward full openness, he may yet grow into it :p - I personally prefer that players change everything as it happens as it prevents confusion, but it may grow harder as more and more special powers and interrupts are introduced...so I understand MadAzolins reluctance

I cannot comment on the monsters as I have no idea about their rules and/or mechanics.

That said, if those two crits hit Martelai, it would be permanent nighty night for him...

Last edited:

jbear

First Post
I don't care. I trust that whatever you do, you do in the interest of making a good game.

Like I said, I am probably just feeling frustrated as I wanted to use Dimensional Vortex this round and ended up not only being the only one hit, but also hit with 2 crits.

As for the owlbears we are facing: You have obviously made them up and cut and pasted powers from the various owl bears that exist between MMI and the Monster Vault, which is fine in itself. I hope that the XP rewards reflect the obviously superior nature of these owlbears we are facing.

However the power that hit Kane seems to be an amped up version of the Trained Owlbear's Thunderous Shriek which is a close burst 2 power. You are free of course to invent whatever powers with whatever ranges you like, but you will understand that the hidden dice rolls and this type of thing combine to make things ... I don't know how to put it.

At a table it is easier to trust your DM than in pbp I find. And as the adventure has just begun there has been no time/chance for any trust to develop. Shrug. Not too sure where I am going with this, but I felt the need to get it off my chest.

I agree it seems strange not to show DM rolls.

On the other hand, it's probably easier for inexperienced DM to roll his own dice then to fight with multiple rolls on IC.

I'll keep withold? reserve? my judgement on this.

On the monsters: If they are custom made it would be fair to warn us about it or you could get the players with some meta knowledge irritated...

Last edited:

dimsdale

First Post
my two cents on the matter...

I've learned how difficult it is keeping track of all the interrupts and longterm effects. If there are mistakes, we note them and move on. I like the flow of the adventure, the timely posts and the detailed descriptions of battle. I like the modified monster stats. I've never liked that all characters know everything about the monsters even though they may not have seen them before. That makes no sense

I believe jbear point is that we cannot check without rolls...it's easy to accept that critical hits...but what about say, bane (-4) then mark (-2), but maybe, just maybe a character has +1 vs bloodied opponents (deva) or while he's bloodied (one cloth armor enchantment)

Also [MENTION=6747396]MadAzolin[/MENTION], Miraculous Fortune works only for Cyr (it's personal spell) sorry if it sounded like it's generally applicable, that's why I put priority on the reaction...if we get all three together I may be able to buy us round or two of free shots.

MadAzolin

First Post
Well... considering the feedback, I will keep it going this way for a while and see how it goes;
As for monsters, perhaps I wasn't clear enough - quite a few monsters you encounter won't be identical to ones from standard monster books; this is intended (and foiling meta-gaming is certainly part of the plan :); that is why I allow skill use to find out general info and/or details about them - basically as long as it is not specifically stated that monster has ability X or that its ability works in certain way, don't assume it does.
Ofc, most of them will feel familiar if you have good knowledge of various monsters (and monsters will generally follow a monster theme (if there is any)) (for example these are combination of various types of owlbears from MM and MV)

Btw, I very likely won't have internet access for few days (specifically from today to 22nd), so owls will have to chill a bit unless I get some extra time and net access in meanwhile.

Voda Vosa

First Post
I will be away for a few days, feel free to NPC vermitrax as needed. There is a link to his sheet on my links page on the RG (as it says in my signature.) Thanks.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases