[Adventure] Rift in a Bag (DM: treex, Judge ???)

Neil1889

First Post
Lilli's eyes light up momentarily when she sees the gems Niks is carrying, but she rapidly loses interest when he starts stabbing himself. Not her style after all, "...and it'd make a real mess of the outfit," she thinks.

Son of Meepo

First Post
OOC: Hello, treex?

OOC: treex posted to the discussion thread that he no longer has the time to continue with any of his ENWorld games.

I don't think this game ever got a judge, so I will see what I can do to summon someone to wrap it up. (I would offer to take over, but it's not a good time for me.)

I took a crack at calculating xp for the completed encounter.

[sblock=Encounter 1 xp]2 Maw Demon Swarm (Level 3)
Maw Demon Herder (Level 4)
Demon Arcanist (Level 4)
4 Portal Keys (Level 3 Minion)
Demon Rider (Level 5 Elite)

(150*2)+(175*2)+(38*4)+400 = 1202
1202 * 2 = 2404
2404/6 = 400 xp each

A level 5 encounter should yield about 280 gp of treasure per PC, so doubling that would be 560.[/sblock]

[sblock=proposal for judge]Award the PCs 400 xp, 560 gp plus a month and a half of time xp and gold.[/sblock]

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
After Niks and Knax have set up their perimeter, the party trudges on further into the cavernous expanse of the Bag's interior in search of the runes which are in need of replacement.

After some time and a few false leads, the group finds the first two sets of runes without running into any more demons. The final set, close to the rift, is guarded by a few demons, but nothing of the magnitude Naks seemed to fear, and they are dispatched with ease.

Just as the third and final patch is applied, two things happen: the malevolent purple rift collapses in on itself with a shudder and a final burst of light, and then the party can hear the sounds of combat - back towards the entrance portal!

The party rushes back towards the entrance to the Bag, the sounds of combat getting louder and louder as they get closer. The more astute members also notice that the inside of the Bag seems to be collapsing, probably back to the normal size of the inside of a Bag of Holding - time is of the essence.

When they arrive, the party sees a group of demons led by a large be-spiked monstrosity fighting a hard-pressed Niks and Knax, even with the aid of all their magical items. However, the demons do not notice the party's arrival until after they have struck, bringing down two of the monsters immediately. The momentum now in their favor, the brave adventurers manage to dispatch the last of the demons before any can escape through the entrance portal.

After exiting the bag, Niks thanks each of the party personally, his gratitude obvious. Knax is still too embarrassed to say much, but the one or two adventurers whose eyes he does meet see thanks in them before the apprentice turns away to busy himself with some task or other. As reward for your services, Niks offers you some of the selection of magical items in his shop, or simple gold if you would prefer.
[sblock=Judge]
OOC: treex posted to the discussion thread that he no longer has the time to continue with any of his ENWorld games.

I don't think this game ever got a judge, so I will see what I can do to summon someone to wrap it up. (I would offer to take over, but it's not a good time for me.)

I took a crack at calculating xp for the completed encounter.

[sblock=Encounter 1 xp]2 Maw Demon Swarm (Level 3)
Maw Demon Herder (Level 4)
Demon Arcanist (Level 4)
4 Portal Keys (Level 3 Minion)
Demon Rider (Level 5 Elite)

(150*2)+(175*2)+(38*4)+400 = 1202
1202 * 2 = 2404
2404/6 = 400 xp each

A level 5 encounter should yield about 280 gp of treasure per PC, so doubling that would be 560.[/sblock]

[sblock=proposal for judge]Award the PCs 400 xp, 560 gp plus a month and a half of time xp and gold.[/sblock]
This looks reasonable to me. 1200 XP is a standard level 5 encounter, which is the party's average level, so that makes sense.

I hope no one minds that I handwaved the remainder of the adventure - we can say those trials and fights are what got you the time XP/gold. ;) Fortunately, all of this taking place in Niks' store allows for a convenient way to turn these piles of gold into items - by all means, you may say that Niks simply gave you any items you would have bought with the gold rewards from this adventure, though you should record it as gold and then purchases on your char sheets.

GM: Encounter Reward:
* 400 XP and 560 gp per PC, as per SoM's post.

Time XP and Gold (1 month and 12 days = 1.4 months):
* Level 6 characters: 584 XP and 876 gp.
* Level 5 characters: 468 XP and 652 gp.
* Level 3 characters: 350 XP and 356 gp.

Totals:
* Dina, Nathantiel, and Lerrick: 400+584 = 984 XP and 560+876 = 1436 gp.
* Lilli and Artemis: 400+468 = 868 XP and 560+652 = 1212 gp.
* Malakai: 400+350 = 750 XP and 560+356 = 916 gp.

There. If someone could double check the math, I'd be much obliged.

I'd say you're all free to return to the tavern and start begging looking for work again, if you haven't already[/sblock]

Last edited:

Neil1889

First Post
OOC: Shame about treex and that it ended like it did, but thank-you for the very much for the closure, Lord Sessadore and Son of Meepo.

Lilli returns the ring to Niks and contemplates the goodies in the shop for while.

Malakai also peruses the shops wares, and after a bit of haggling with Niks, agrees upon a price for a set of black iron bracers, inlaid with gold runes. When Niks places the bracers on a wooden table, the wood darkens and begins to smoke ever so slightly. After handing Niks a small bag of gold coins, Malakai places the bracers on his wrists. He closes his eyes, relishing the burning sensation and surge of power the felt rushing into him as the hot black iron touched his red skin.

"I suppose it's back to the Hanged Man for me..." he says to no one specifically before turning his head toward the boy apprentice.

"Try not to screw up again...your boss would hate to have to pay for yet another round of my services..." he grins at the boy and stares him down with a hateful glare, not stopping until the boy turned his head first.

Satisfied that his job here was done, and that he'd managed to continue making himself more powerful, he stepped out of the magic item shop without so much as a "goodbye" to those he left behind and headed back to the Hanged Man to continue his search for someone who would teach him about Dein's books.

Remove ads