(Adventure) The Burning Tower (Knight Otu Judging) [Concluded]

Manzanita

First Post
OOC: Actually, Persephone can't effectively cast the 3rd level spells (fireball and haste) until she is 6th level, which is probably over a year away. So she doesn't want them. No one else can use them effectively either, as she knows. Instead...

BIC: After releasing the wizard from her hug, she hands him back the scrolls of fireball and haste. "Thanks for offering to let us keep these, but I'm um..." she blushes, the reddening of her fair skin nicely complementing her strawberry hair, "not skilled enough to use them effectively. We shouldn't have taken your stuff anyway. Why don't you take these back."

Last edited:

IcyCool

First Post
Gorefoot - Gnome Barbarian 1

"Well, if I'm getting a new sword, I don't need anything else as a reward, you guys can take everything else. So, when do we go grab those weapons and find that thief?"

Manzanita

First Post
OOC: I'm already regretting offering the scrolls back. While it is fine in terms of the IC thread, I don't want to throw a monkey wrench into the spoils division that has already been worked out. I know how hard it can be to divy that stuff up. However, we may have a few more posts like the last one to take into account before we settle the division.

Patlin

Explorer
Rilithorne thanks Persephone for the offer, but seems less than eager to take the scrolls back.

"Are you sure you can't use them? I don't have anything else to give you, and I want to reward you properly. Being stuck on the Ethereal plane not knowing if I'd ever make it back was awfull! Possibly if I helped show you how to use them?"

Rilithorne goes into a technical explanation.

ooc: The technical explanation makes it clear that the miss chance on the scrolls is fairly minimal, even for a low level sorceror.

srd said:
If she meets all three requirements but her own caster level is lower than the scroll spell’s caster level, then she has to make a caster level check (DC = scroll’s caster level + 1) to cast the spell successfully. If she fails, she must make a DC 5 Wisdom check to avoid a mishap (see Scroll Mishaps, below). A natural roll of 1 always fails, whatever the modifiers.

The scroll's caster level on a 3rd level spell is 5, so the DC is 6. Persephone would have to roll a 3 as a 3rd level Sorceror to succeed, so it's only a 10% chance of messing up. Not bad for a limited ability to cast 3rd level spell 3 levels early, at least in my opinion.

nimisgod

LEW Judge
ooc: Manzanita, Persephone can actually use those scrolls. It will take her a caster level check vs a DC of 1 + scroll's caster level to cast them successfully. If Percy fails that roll, she has to roll a DC 5 wisdom check (in this case, a "1" is an automatic failure). If she fails the wisdom check, that's when the spell malfunctions (according to the GM's twisted desire).

Ishmael was struck dumb by the princess' kiss, barely managing a incoherent "Thou art welcome, milady" in return.

When he recovered his senses, he thanked Rilthorne for the information given. While educational, the draconic lore was not exactly what Ishmael sought. What the old wizard said was not to be discounted however. He kept what he had learned hidden in the storehouse of his memories.

Ishmael kept quiet during the division of the reward. He was not only busy digesting what he had learned, but also was wondering how the loot was going to be split.

edit: Gah! Patlin beat me to it.

Last edited:

Manzanita

First Post
OOC: Cool. I'm so bad at the rules. I had interpreted them a bit differently, assuming the caster level would be Rilithorn's level, and thus higher than 5. So that means both the 3rd level spells are as though cast by a 5th level wizard? I'll keep them then. That is worth the risk. And better than trying to sell them back at half price. I'll go ahead & add them to Percy's CS. Thank you both.

Zweischneid

First Post

OoC 2:
Ok, to make the division easy. How bout that?

Gorefoot -> Magic Weapon
Another one (Ishmael?) -> Magic Weapon
Peresphone -> Scrolls
the other four (Lady Fant, Nars, Rodhimus & Morulas) each get -> 262,83 gp each
(Assuming we sell the halbeard and the two potions, anyone interested in those, pls speak up..)

Last edited:

Remove ads