• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(Adventure) The Haunted Halls of Stonepike

Guilt Puppy

First Post
Sturm looks over the maps, frowning.

"Most o' these're in 'allways, what I can see... Gettin' folk while they're goin' from place'n place, 'r on patrol, then?"

He looks up at Stogrim, calmly.

"If'n ye ain't already, I suggest ye give order what no'ne goes alone through 'ose 'allways... Groups o' four 'tleast. From lookin' 'ere I'm guessin' what's down there's predat'ry at heart, 'n a predator goes for what's 'lone 'n easy'n pick off. Won' stop it strikin', I'm guessin', if it needs'n eat, but 'ey'll stand a fightin' chance in a bigger group... 'n at least there's more chance o' survivors who can tell us somethin' 'bout what's down there."

He turns to the others. "Not that I'm suggestin' we wait 'til 'ere's some'n what can tell us more. Ye won' find me any place but down those 'alls come any night 'fore this thing's taken, 'less ye've tied me up first, 'n then ye'd do best'n tie me up real tight."

He takes another look at the map, scratching his nose.

"Guessin' also yer beastie's livin' in yer upper level... Don' make sense'n go too far out o' yer territ'ry fer findin' food, right?" He thinks a moment, then turns to Stogrim. "When it attacked down lower, were it on nights what there's nobody goin' 'lone on yer upper level? 'r did it start attackin' on the upper after people stopped goin' down'n yer lower?"

nimisgod

LEW Judge
Sir Ishmael was awed at the complexity of the dwarven hold's construction. He was from a simple halfling village and ne'er before had he seen the Stout Folk's architecture in full.

"I do have a query, though it may seen insignificant. Art those pathways lighted? Or dost thou use thine own natural darkvision to navigate those halls?"

Last edited:

Uriel

Living EN World Judge
Guilt Puppy said:
Sturm looks over the maps, frowning.

He looks up at Stogrim, calmly.

"If'n ye ain't already, I suggest ye give order what no'ne goes alone through 'ose 'allways... Groups o' four 'tleast. From lookin' 'ere I'm guessin' what's down there's predat'ry at heart, 'n a predator goes for what's 'lone 'n easy'n pick off. Won' stop it strikin', I'm guessin', if it needs'n eat, but 'ey'll stand a fightin' chance in a bigger group... 'n at least there's more chance o' survivors who can tell us somethin' 'bout what's down there."

He takes another look at the map, scratching his nose.

"Guessin' also yer beastie's livin' in yer upper level... Don' make sense'n go too far out o' yer territ'ry fer findin' food, right?" He thinks a moment, then turns to Stogrim. "When it attacked down lower, were it on nights what there's nobody goin' 'lone on yer upper level? 'r did it start attackin' on the upper after people stopped goin' down'n yer lower?"

Stogrim frowns and replies 'Well, Master Sturm,much will be disrupted in bsiness and life if we insist on folk going about in fours, but I will see what the ord thinks.' Stogrim looks to Lord Stonepike, who stares off into space, a sullen and weary look upon his face.

'As far as the killings go, The first was in the lower level, as was the second. After that, they happened in the upper level mostly, though three days past, the fisherman was killed while trying his hand at ther River's bounty.'

Uriel

Living EN World Judge
nimisgod said:
Sir Ishmael was awed at the complexity of the dwarven hold's construction. He was from a simple halfling village and ne'er before had he seen the Stout Folk's architecture in full.

"I do have a query, though it may seen insignificant. Art those pathways lighted? Or dost thou use thine own natural darkvision to navigate those halls?"

Stogrim nods 'Aye, Master Halfling, lighted with oil lanterns, although several of the lower areas are lighted with torches instead.'

OoC:The maps are from my Book of Maps, a compilation of RPG maps from various sources, mostly (as in this case) from ICE Middle Earth modules.

Last edited:

dpdx

Explorer
[It's morning, still, right?]

Rurik picks up mostly on the fact that the first murders happened on the lower levels, closest to the crypts. "I aren't no chief 'nvestigater, but the pattern would s'gest ghouls o' the crypts, p'raps the ancestrul Stonepikes... beggin' yer pardons, me Lords. Meanin' we's likely ta find 'em fer sure inna stairway 'twixt upper'n lower levels, lookin' ta feed, methinks."

Rurik turns to the rest of his group. "We need ta rest up afore sundown... Tonight's when they come out, an' it's fixin' ta be a long 'un."

Aranel

First Post
Aranal had fallen silent examining the map. Taking particular note of the treasury. Idly thinking it should be checkde on. Just to clear her conscience that there were no mass murdering creatures of evil lurking inside.
Clear her conscience and as much of the vault as possible...
And she could probably wander off quietly afterwards, then if anything did go wrong...What am I thinking?! I left all this behind. Bad Aranel! Bad! Focus on what's being said and stop drooling.

She was very lucky to be here...unlike a great many of her old 'team'. Still. Clean fresh start. Was a bad idea to rob the Dwarves blind and try to escape them in their own home anyway. What she needed to do was-

She stopped her thoughts again and peeled her eyes off the map to concentrate on a pattern on the tabletop. No! Thurgan would NOT help me. Focus will you. Thurgan would kill me for just suggesting it.

Keia

I aim to misbehave
Rurik said:
Rurik turns to the rest of his group. "We need ta rest up afore sundown... Tonight's when they come out, an' it's fixin' ta be a long 'un."

"It prolly wouldn't be bad ta speak with some 'those that first found the other victims. Perhaps see if they noticed anything unusual or the lot," Thurgan suggested. He looked around to those in the room, happy to be helping out in some small way - but still feeling out of sorts being here. What I need ta do is make me money, help some people and start building yer forge, Thurgan thought.

"Doubt it'd take too long - plenty o' time ta rest fer t'nite," he continued.

Uriel

Living EN World Judge
Keia said:
"It prolly wouldn't be bad ta speak with some 'those that first found the other victims. Perhaps see if they noticed anything unusual or the lot," Thurgan suggested.

"Doubt it'd take too long - plenty o' time ta rest fer t'nite," he continued.

The Captain of the Guard nods and sends one of the accompanying Guardsmen out to bring some of the dwarves who had come upon the slain.
He also says 'I,myself came across one of the bodies three days hence. There was nought much of him left, by Chennet.The beast had eaten well that evening. Ghalen the Weaver. He was a good old sort.
The beast seems to like both the young,the old, strong and the weak as prey. Most wild animals shy away from armed men, or even healthy individuals as oppossed to infirm ones, as the good Druid can attest, I am sure. This think kills with impunity and still we cannot find it.'

Eyes seething with barely contained rage, the Captain sits back in his chair, his hand going to the haft of his Warhammer and clenching 'till his knuckes are white.

dpdx

Explorer
Rurik looks sympathetically at the guard captain.

"Then agin, p'raps we c'n ketch tha beast as it's fixin ta sleep, if'n it do sleep, by goin' now," he muses aloud.

Turning to the hosts, he pats the crowbar, hammer and hook in his pack, and smiling, announces in Dwarvish, "My Honorable Lords and Regents, please do not be alarmed by my tools - it is not my intention to tear the Keep to its foundation, but Clan Axebender also teaches its sons to prepare for anything they can imagine. I will be happy to stay on and repair any damage my comrades or I do to your hallowed halls, once the beast is taken."

Rurik manages to raise an eyebrow to Ishmael, in case the 'leader' is ready to set out.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads