4E [Adventure] The Jade Ring (DM: Dimsdale)

WEContact

Visitor
Haaku pulls out a note and a folded cloak from an inner pocket in the deceased's jacket, and unfolds both. The first he passes wordlessly to Torqua, and the latter he inspects more closely before taking off his pack and draping the cloak around his shoulders. He leaves the voluminous hood lowered (it's unnecessary given the loose turban covering his head and the lower half of his face) and kneels, taking things out of his pack and placing them in pockets that appear to line the interior of the cloak, beginning with several braces of daggers and a few clinking potion bottles. He continues for a puzzling amount of time, with the cloak conspicuously lacking any indication that it now contains several kilos of gear. Finally he rolls up the empty backpack and puts that in yet another pocket, and stands.

OOC: Going with a +2 Deep-Pocket Cloak!
 

Goldhammer

Visitor
Torqua blushs for a moment and is then over come by a wave of vanity. "Well it's quite normal to feel this way when in the aura of my beauty. Dukes and princes have dropped at my feet, begging for my hand at the sight of me." The sorceress says, bending the truth a just a little bit. "But none quite as... Daring as you I might say. Tragically, I never be with someone who mugs people or threatens children or their families. I like someone who gives back to the community. Maybe there's redeem yourself in my eyes yet."

Torqua has a brief look at the note she was given then turns back to the thug.

"A friend of mine lost something the other day. A jade ring. One that might have magical powers. I believe your ex-boss was going to sell it to someone called Lady Luck. Would you tell me where I could find them? I mean surely you would me to have the ring than this Lady Luck person, wouldn't you?"

Diplomacy check:

1d20+10=30
 
Last edited:

WEContact

Visitor
Haaku pulls Torqua towards him by the shoulder so that he can whisper in her ear. "Lady Luck is a local establishment. It's the name of the meeting place."
 

jbear

Visitor
"Funny. We were fixing to go and visit Blue. So it was Blue's idea to jump us, was it? So, will we find Blue in the Lady Luck? How about you take us to him and we can let him know about Mr Sam at the same time." ​From Leather's tone and expression it is clear that he doesn't find the situation very funny at all.
 

dimsdale

Visitor
Torqua blushs for a moment and is then over come by a wave of vanity. "Well it's quite normal to feel this way when in the aura of my beauty. Dukes and princes have dropped at my feet, begging for my hand at the sight of me." The sorceress says, bending the truth a just a little bit. "But none quite as... Daring as you I might say. Tragically, I never be with someone who mugs people or threatens children or their families. I like someone who gives back to the community. Maybe there's redeem yourself in my eyes yet."





Torqua has a brief look at the note she was given then turns back to the thug.

"A friend of mine lost something the other day. A jade ring. One that might have magical powers. I believe your ex-boss was going to sell it to someone called Lady Luck. Would you tell me where I could find them? I mean surely you would me to have the ring than this Lady Luck person, wouldn't you?"

Diplomacy check:

1d20+10=30

Hey, I never hurt any kid! That was Mr. Sams! The thug looks both ways as if looking out for someone. Listen, I haven't seen Mr. Blue in a long time. I think Mr. Sams was trying to take over the business. The boy walks closer. I...I know where he's keeping Mr. Blue. I followed him last night when he thought no one was watching. Mr. Blue don't look so good. Something...something is...watching him...the boy shivers in fear. He regains his composer. I can take you there. Instinctively he borrows himself into a layer of Torqua's fat for protection.

GM: sorry for the delay all. I'm back now. Ready to kill...I mean help you now
 

jbear

Visitor
Leather slowly worked through what he knew and what he was being told, giving more than ample time to anyone else in the group to respond first, even if they did so at in the most leisurely manner. From what he had understood Blue hadn't wanted to jump them at all. Blue had been jumped by Mr Sams. So Mr Sams was an underling who got too big for his boots. Leather had seen that before plenty. And Sams was scary enough to have cowards like these other thugs just roll over and do his bidding. Finally it all clicks for Leather and he butts back in to the conversation. "You're all a bunch of cowards. May maggots rot your flesh before you die. And may no one mourn your passing any more than passing foul wind. Get the hell out of my sight before I finish what we began... Not you boy. Take us to Blue, and hurry. We will deal with whatever is watching him."
 

WEContact

Visitor
Leather gets nothing but a nod and a moment of eye contact from Haaku, but the two have fought together enough now that despite the dusty killer's half-concealed face, that's all it takes to convey his sentiment: Well said- I'm ready to go any time.
 
Fhangrim gets his girls settled into their cage and then hops into the driver seat of his wagon. Now that his pets have had a chance to rest, the gnoll is in a cheerful mood.

"Well my young man, lead the way."

OOC: Ursa Major heals to full during the short rest.
 

dimsdale

Visitor
The boy nods his head to the party and smiles. He takes the party past the ally way which Fhangrim and Hakuu noticed one of the thugs go into a building by means of a secret door. We don't go that way...people guard that way. Lot's of people... He continues to another ally but doesn't go down it. There is a large sewer grate. Lift that he says to Leather, who does so. Come come...quite now. Walk along the ledge here. The sewer banks to the right. The boy hops to the ledge on other side of the sewer. It is an easy step as the trail of sludge is narrow at that point. After about 30 feet he stops. He points to the ladder going up. There is another grate above them. The boy points upward and then puts his index finger to his lips as if to motion everyone to be quite. He whispers This leads to a storage room. There is a door. It opens to the room that keep Mr. Blue.

The ladder looks study, but slippery. The grate appears to be already opened. Above the opening is darkness, although flickers of light briefly show the dimensions of the room, mainly the 10 foot ceiling of the storage room.

The boy hugs Torqua then whispers Good luck. Mr. Blue is nice...Please don't hurt him.
 

Goldhammer

Visitor
Torqua returns the hug. "Thanks kiddo. We'll do our best help Mr Blue out of whatever mess he's gotten into." She says softly, giving him a pat on the head. "Just so know, I Torqua Debu the great sorceress am not impressed easily. But leading us down here, even at the risk of your own life, now that takes a lot of bravery. Not even old Leather pants or the masked ranger over here could match your boldness today."

She digs into her pocket and pulls out a handful of gold coins. "Kid, I want you to do three favors for me." The wide witch asks, bending down to meet him in the eye. "Number one, take this gold and buy something nice for your family. Number two, give me your name. Once we find this ring, I plan on giving you a real job. One more honorable than thievery and I just can't keep calling you 'kid' all the time."

"And three, if any more thugs try to bother you or your family, you tell them you're a friend of Torqua Debu, the great sorceress and Torqua Debu does not take kindly to those who pick on her friends."


OOC: Taking a short rest to heal and giving the kid 10 gold.
 

dimsdale

Visitor
As the sorcerer gives the boy the 10 gold pieces the boy's eyes. He doesn't move for a few moments, clearly stunned by the generous donation. Tears well up in his eyes. Thank you. I will remember you. I never forget. I go to my family now. He places the coins in his pouch then moves swiftly in the direction he initially led the party.

ooc: short rest granted.

As the party rests in silence the sounds of dripping water echo through the sewer. Every so often the glowing eyes of small rodents appear from the darkness to investigate. Suddenly a new source of light emits from the room above. You hear a door open with voices from two people clearly audible. In the background you hear the sounds of chanting in monotone voices. The door shuts behind and the chanting and light source fade away. Mr. Sams was right...the grate is open. Wonder who keeps doing this? Another person grunts in response. Help me move it back into place
 

WEContact

Visitor
Haaku climbs the ladder as quietly as he possibly can. He waits in the darkness at the mouth of the grate, ready to grab the first wrist or ankle that he can reach, and pull both men down into the sewers before they can cause a ruckus.

OOC: Stealth 19, if it looks like that won't be high enough I'll boost it to 24 with Heroic Effort

Spent a surge to get back to full.


[sblock=Statblock]Haaku - Male Human Ranger|Fighter 5
Status:
Initiative: +6, Passive perception: 26, Passive Insight: 16
AC:21 Fort:19 Ref:20 Will:16
HP: 45/45 Bloodied: 22 Surge value: 11 Surges/day: 7/8
Speed: 6 squares, AP: 0, Second Wind: unused, Temporary HP: 0
Melee Basic Attack: +12 vs AC, 1d8+11 (off-hand)
Equipment: +1 Rhythm Blade Short Sword, Chatkcha, Javelins(2), Potions of Healing (2), Adventurer's Kit
Notes: +3 damage vs bloodied targets

Powers:Twin Strike, Footwork Lure, Hunter's Quarry, Heroic Effort, Sohei Flurry, Off-hand Strike, Rain of Blows, Invigorating Stride, Jaws of the Wolf[X], Rain of Steel[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

jbear

Visitor
Getting up from his rest he watches Haaku to see what he discovers atop the ladder, weapon in hand.

OOC: Leather spends a surge and is back to full
 

dimsdale

Visitor
The foot of one of the grunts becomes within Haaku's reach. With blinding speed and strength the unsuspecting thug is yanked through the grate and tumbles to the bottom of the sewer landing on his shoulder. The thud echos throughout the sewer. He lays motionless on ground at the partys' feet. He still breaths but is clearly unconscious.

[sblock=Haaku]
The other thug is not within reach, but clearly clearly surprised. @WEContact Roll an athletics check or acrobatics check to determine what happens next.

check less than 15: thugs runs out the door to warn others
check 15 to 20: You leap to a spot in the room between the thug and the door
check 20 or highter: You leap and subdue the other thug

Roll play your actions for dramatic effect :)

[/sblock]
 

WEContact

Visitor
OOC: Did Haaku have to use Heroic Effort to pass that Stealth check, @dimsdale?


Haaku uses the first thug as leverage to pull himself up through the grate, confident that if the fall doesn't take care of him, his allies would. He tucks and rolls over the lip of the grate, and mid-tumble his legs fly out to sweep the second thug's legs. In the time it takes for the thug to fall on his face, Haaku has rolled back onto his feet and leapt into the air. He lands between the unfortunate's shoulder blades just as the man was breaking his fall with his hands, leaving him with a broken wrist and nose. The thug's head bounces back from the impact and Haaku catches his hair, keeping his head pulled back, and clamps a hand over his mouth. "Shhhh," he whispers.


 
Last edited:

jbear

Visitor
With a grimace Leather brings his axe down on the unconscious thug's neck. There was no time for prisoners and he was in no mood for mercy. He then proceeded to climb up the ladder to see the Haaku had deftly neutralised the other guard, holding him in a rear naked choke. Leather gives Haaku a nod of approval before taking a good look around to see where they were and where they needed to head next. Leather felt sure that someone with gifted with the gab than him could get the punk that Haaku had captured nice and quiet but talking. He just held his axe so it could be seen, dripping and wet with blood.
 

dimsdale

Visitor
The thug looks at both Leather and Haaku, with eyes wide open as if he's in a state of shock. He doesn't say a word, clearly following the advice of Haaku. He then gulps after seeing the red stained axe of Leather.

[sblock=Leather and Haaku] You can clearly hear the sound of monotone chanting from multiple sources. The appear to be chanting the same verse over and over in a language that you don't understand. One other voice can be clearly heard over the others reciting words as if he or she is reading from text. All of this comes from behind the door which now is cracked open about 2 inches. The crack brings forth a shaft of light which partially illuminates the storage room

[/sblock]
 

Advertisement

Top