[Adventure] The Lost Treasure of House Cannith (Judge: Evilbob)

Mezegis

First Post
Thalin quietly watches the others react to Rafftry’s story, and his response to their questions as he weighs the pro’s and con’s of this request. Unbeknownst to him, his mind follows a similar path as Colgrave’s. If this was valuable to House Cannith, why not send their own men to retrieve it? Why send a bunch of merc’s who’s only loyalty is to the coin they hand over? Thalin’s mind continues down that spiraling path of House politics, death, and betrayal for a moment when a slightly brighter thought dawns on him. He did note it to be quite dangerous, perhaps it was simply written off as a loss for the House, and Rafftry here is trying to get in good with the higher ups by showing initiative and resourcefulness. If he used Cannith’s men, it could be traced, and any rivals would know about it. Using us keeps him his anonymity, and in theory, would protect us from his rivals. 150gp is a bit low for a mission into the Mournlands, especially one that clearly advertises death, dismemberment, and other unpleasantries… Perhaps a slight increase, to say… 200gp? It’s not much of an increase, but would afford each of us the option of a potion of healing, which could be the difference between you obtaining your prize, and sleepless nights knowing you sent men and, nodding to Eve, women to their deaths to save a few coin. What say you?

[sblock=OOC]Do you want another diplomacy check, or does the last one stand for the “encounter?”[/sblock]

LadyLaw

First Post
[sblock=ooc]New check please. You wanted the last one to represent something specific and this is a different something. Sorry. I'll wait on him responding to you until you make it.

Edit: Although I will say that the first one including you wanting him to look on you favorably will be taken into account when you make the new roll.[/sblock]

"Ahh, it occurs to me that I glossed over just what The Mournlands are. I apologize, my good warden," he says to Karanak. "That was dreadfully rude of me, although I am surprised to hear that you do not know, even coming from where you do. You must be very new to this world indeed.

The Mournlands are a place that was once a country, but during the last war there came a time when it was flooded with Mist, and now nothing of good intent can truly live there. The Mist still covers the area, and as I mentioned, I hear that spending too much time in it is unhealthy at best and deadly at worst. It can be difficult even to find your way through the border of it and into The Mournlands proper.

They say that awful monsters roam the area now, although it's uncertain where they come from, or why The Mist does not dissipate."

Last edited:

LadyLaw

First Post
[sblock=ooc]You seem to have accidentally reused Word of Friendship, but that's ok.[/sblock]

Rafftry smiles warmly at Thalin.

"Well, it is 150g for each of you, and I am giving half in advance, which I think should cover healing potions for everyone if you so choose. I did also offer magic items on delivery, so there is something in it for you besides the gold.

Still, perhaps you're right. How's this? If you happen to come across anything else in the lab that you may find useful, I shall not ask that you return it to House Cannith. Also, if you return with great haste, say within 36 hours of first setting out, I'll give you each some small bonus for speed. Say, an additional 20 gold each? How does that work for you?"

Mezegis

First Post
A flash of surprise and regret crosses Thalin’s features, but is gone in a moment, replaced with his usual calm visage, Seems reasonable enough. You said you had maps to Eaton, will you be providing travel, or will it be left up to us to determine the best route? Either way, you’ve been reasonable enough that I will accept your offer. Standing smoothly, he takes one of the glasses, raising it slightly to their employer, And here’s to hoping we earn that speed bonus, since I’ll not want to spend anymore time in that mist that necessary.

After quaffing the drink in a long gulp, the half elf returns to his sitting position, adding, That reminds me, any knowledge on ways to defend ourselves from the mist? A cloth over the face, arcane enchantments… looking toward the psion, not breathing at all…?

Vertexx69

First Post
Information:

The wilden nods slowly as their gracious host vaguely explains about the perils of the Mournlands. "Aye yuh speak trute. I an I ave only bin combin to dis land buh tuh few moons past, strait oat uh dee Feywild den, bow Tie an I be note afraid uh soach uh pleace an dwill be retrievin yuh paypas faw yuh." He says with a shrug of his thin and branchy shoulders.
[sblock=Actions]Free: Speak
Minor:
Make Eve Invisible
Move: ...
Standard: ...[/sblock][sblock=Swarmwhisper]Karananak Bole—Male Wilden Druid 4; Resist 5 Fire, (Resist 4 Melee/Ranged in Beast Form)
Initiative: +2, Low-Light, Passive Perception: 22, Passive Insight: 22
AC: 17, Fort: 18, Reflex: 15(17 in beast form), Will: 19 — Speed: 6
HP: 45/45, Bloodied: 22, Surge: 11, Surges left: 11/11
Action Points: 1/1, Second Wind: Not Used, Milestones 0
Powers -
Savage Rend
Locust Swarm
Cold Wind

Scattered Form
Voyage of the Ancients/Wrath of the Destroyer/Pursuit of the Hunter
Battering Claws

Summon Pack Wolf
Healing Infusion

Item Powers:

Character Sheet
[/sblock][sblock=OOC]I already have a wishlist in place for item disbursement when and if the time comes. :p[sblock=Translation]Yes you speak the truth. I have only come to this a few months ago, strait out of the Feywild, but am unafraid and will retrieve your papers for you.[/sblock][/sblock]

Otakkun

Explorer
As he hears the second offer, the elven warrior finds himself nodding in agreement to the new terms of the contracts.

"Getting to keep whatever we find sounds reasonable enough for me. I highly doubt we'll be able to travel back and forth in a day and a half, but still, it's enough to get me interested."

LadyLaw

First Post
Rafftry nods to the warforged with a smile and stands from his chair.

"Well, since we're all agreed, let me go get those maps and drawings for you."

He exits gracefully down the hall. It takes about ten minutes for him to return, but when he does he's carrying a large, rectangular piece of wood, which looks fairly heavy, and the clay figure trails behind him with a large roll of paper in its arms. The clay figure waits by the door while Rafftry brings his burden to the center of the room.

You watch as he sets the thing down on an edge in the middle of the room. Then, you see that once you thought at first was a solid piece of wood clearly isn't, because he begins to fold pieces out of the side closest to him. After a few more moments, he lifts it again, turns it, and sets it down so there is now a table in the middle of the room. He retrieves the papers from the clay creature and rolls them out on the table before him.

"Ok, this is a map of Khrvaire." He waits for people to rise and join him at the table so everyone can see the map.

"As you can see, The Lightning Rail can get you close to the border in a couple of locations." He traces a finger along the paths that mark out The Lightning Rail's trail. "Going to Aruldusk would put you closest to Eston," he taps a finger on the city when his trail reaches it. "but there's the little problem of the river in the way, and none of you look like you own a boat. On the other hand, you could go to Vathirand instead, but you'd have to walk the rest of the way, and I expect that would a long journey. I'm afraid I don't really know how to protect you from The Mist itself, or how long it would take to effect you."

He stands a bit straighter now. "Of course," he continues, "You could just hire some horses here and ride the whole way, but that would take even longer, and I'm sure that you don't want that. You are free to go any way that you choose though; I only hope to offer suggestions.

When you finally get to the city and find the laboratory, the book you are looking for will have this symbol on the cover." He slides a piece of paper out from under the map and then back across the top of it. There is a symbol drawn on it in green.

"When you return, give this," he pulls a metal disk out of his pocket and slides it across the table too. It's no bigger than a gold piece, but is made of iron and has some sort of swirly sigil on it. It is not the same sigil you used earlier. "to the guard at whatever gate you enter town by before coming back here. It will alert me to your return so I can prepare."

[sblock=ooc]The attachment is the symbol that will be on the book he's looking for.[/sblock]

Attachments

• Book Symbol.png
    Book Symbol.png
    9.8 KB · Views: 135

Mezegis

First Post
Thalin nods as Rafftry speaks, thinking about various routes and options. Do you know where in Eston the target is? Some sort of telltale sign of it’s location even? It could be difficult to find if we have no idea what to really look for, or where to find it?

Remove ads