• Welcome to this new upgrade of the site. We are now on a totally different software platform. Many things will be different, and bugs are expected. Certain areas (like downloads and reviews) will take longer to import. As always, please use the Meta Forum for site queries or bug reports. Note that we (the mods and admins) are also learning the new software.
  • The RSS feed for the news page has changed. Use this link. The old one displays the forums, not the news.

4E [Adventure] The Lost Treasure of House Cannith (Judge: Evilbob)

LadyLaw

Villager
The Lost Treasure of House Cannith

Cast of Characters
Kaelen - Elven Monk 4 - Character Sheet
Karananak Bole - Wilden Druid 4 - Character Sheet
Thalin - Halfelven Bard 4 - Character Sheet
Colgrave - Tiefling Wizard 4 - Character Sheet
Experiment 354B - Warforged Psion 4 - Character Sheet

[sblock=Quest Details and Awards]
Major Quest: Retrieve research notebook from Eston

Treasure Awards:
75g each (375g total) - awarded here
840gp (Level +0 gold parcel) - Claimed by: - awarded here
1x Alchemist's Spark, 1x Clockwork Bomb, 1x Acidic Fire, 355gp (cost equals 840gp for a Level +0 gold parcel) - Claimed by: - awarded here

EXP Awards:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Rules]General

  • Please try to post at least one every 2 days, once a day would be preferred.
  • If you need to be gone for more than a couple of days, please let me know ahead of time either by posting in the thread as an ooc comment, or via PM.
  • Please choose a color for your character's dialong not in use by another player in this adventure. It will help keep things easier to read.
  • Please post OOC comments in sblocks.
  • If you have not posted for 48 hours or more and we are in combat or a skill challenge, then I will NPC your actions using only at-will powers.
  • Please include a link to your character sheet with your first post in the thread.
  • Please include a status block in any post in which your status changes.
  • If there is an sblock labeled for someone other than you, please don't read it.
  • Sblocks with Skills on them will indicate "passive" if you can use a passive result to read them. Otherwise you need to make a roll. If the blocks are nested, you can use the same roll for the entire nest. (For example: If there is a Perception 20 block inside a Perception 15 block and you roll a 17, you should read the first part, but not the second. Likewise if you roll a 25, you can read them both.)
  • Please link from some sort of dice roller for all rolls. Invisible Castle is fine. I happen to like CoCo Dice Roller.
Combat

  • Please post a status block with each combat action post.
  • I will keep track of your status during combat (including HP, negative status, AP, etc.) but ask that you do as well. No one is perfect and if we work together we can hopefully avoid any mistakes or quickly correct them if they occur.
  • I will roll initiative for everyone. Anyone beating the monsters acts first, then the monsters, then everyone. Actions will occur in post order. I will do my best to update as frequently as possible to avoid the need for retconning.
  • Monster stats will not be fully revealed in the beginning. I will include the lowest roll that has hit for an individual stat when it happens. I will post the monster's full HP once it becomes bloodied.
  • Please post an sblock with a breakdown of your actions in each combat post. (i.e. what you are doing for each action type and links to any appropriate rolls.)
If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I'm always willing to lend an ear or add clarity if needed.[/sblock]

As you approach the Highwater District, you see a couple of guards standing at the gate. They look relatively bored, but stand a bit straighter when they see you coming. When you approach the gate and hand them the sigil you took from the note in the tavern, they are happy to direct you to a house near the center of the district.

The house itself is rather non-descript from the outside. It doesn't stand out from the others around it, but if you knock on the door a small humanoid being appearing to be made of clay opens the door and beckons you inside. The creature doesn't speak, no matter what you say, but leads you to a sitting room at the end of a long hallway of doors and indicates the chairs within, as if offering for you to make yourself comfortable. Then it exits the room and goes off down the hallway.

The sitting room is sparse but comfortable. There are several chairs and couches. They all seem in good repair of standard materials, no velvet cushions or anything. Sitting in them proves that they are comfortable and well-used. There is only the one exit from this room, back down the way you came.

[sblock=ooc]Feel free to start RPing as soon as you enter. Your host will join you shortly, but as I know there is at least one character from the tavern who is away for the weekend, the actual adventure won't go into full swing until Monday or Tuesday so he has a chance to catch up. I don't want to leave anyone behind who wants to come as it will be difficult, if not impossible, to add additional characters once we're underway.[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

Otakkun

Villager
[sblock=OOC]Glad to have you onboard evilbob[/sblock]
Kaelan seems to be the first to arrive at the place. After taking a quick look, he decides against taking a chair and instead stands near a corner, his back leaning against the wall.

Kaelan, Elf Monk 4 (Centered Breath), speaks in green.

[sblock=Combat Stats]Kaelan, Elf Monk 4 (Centered Breath)
Speaks in green.
HP 41/41 Temp HP 0
Initiative +7
AC 23, Fort 16, Reflex 18, Will 16
AP 1, Surges 9/9
Elven Accuracy []
Drunken Monkey [ ]
Eternal Guidance [ ]
Supreme Flurry [ ]
Masterful Spiral [ ]
[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

Vertexx69

Villager
Entrance:

An impossibly thin creature walks through the parlor doors with a long and predatory, if relaxed gait. Karananak has deep brown skin with a wooden bark pattern over it, and a huge, two foot-diameter ball afro of tiny black leaves. His eyes are large, non reflective black pools that draw you into them like the shadows at the bottom of a well. His legs are back bent like some animals ending in a pair of bare, three taloned feet, with toes splayed wide for balance. Along the base of his jaw and the outsides of his forearms and calves are rows of slender, needle-sharp thorns. He wears thick, tattered hide vest and breeches that have seen far better days, with what might be a stone flute tucked into a sash and a dirty backpack. He carries nothing else other than a flimsy walking stick, nearly as thin as he is.

He is holding the front seam of his vest just below chest level with his other hand. In the crook of that arm sits a beautiful tiny imp girl with her legs and wings folded demurely. Her long tail is wrapped around the wilden's branchy arm several times for support.

Seeing the couch causes the tree man to raise his bushy eyebrows in delight. As he starts crossing the room, he notices the elf standing in the corner and gives him a bark-crinkling smile as he points to the soft piece of furniture with a long stick-thin finger of his staff wielding hand and nods enthusiastically. He sits on the cushioned couch after setting his walking stick against the wall beside it, relaxing into it as if he had never sat on anything so soft in his life. "Dem be poolin oat awl dee stops tuh be enticin uh bein tuh be wukin foe dem den, Doan cha tink?"

[sblock=Actions]Free: Smile at Thaelan
Minor:
Set down staff
Move: Cross room
Standard: Sit on couch[/sblock][sblock=Swarmwhisper]Karananak Bole—Male Wilden Druid 4; Resist 5 Fire, (Resist 4 Melee/Ranged in Beast Form)
Initiative: +2, Low-Light, Passive Perception: 22, Passive Insight: 22
AC: 17, Fort: 18, Reflex: 15(17 in beast form), Will: 19 — Speed: 6
HP: 45/45, Bloodied: 22, Surge: 11, Surges left: 11/11
Action Points: 1/1, Second Wind: Not Used, Milestones 0
Powers -
Savage Rend
Locust Swarm
Cold Wind

Scattered Form
Voyage of the Ancients/Wrath of the Destroyer/Pursuit of the Hunter
Battering Claws

Summon Pack Wolf
Healing Infusion

Item Powers:

Character Sheet
[/sblock][sblock=OOC]I always post my action in the action block that way. The descriptive text is where I say the order they are actually being taken in. I hope that's not too confusing.

I don't think there's even a lvl 4 defender being built right now, let alone ready to go.

Speaking color Lime.
[/sblock][sblock=Translation]They're really pulling out all the stops to entice a being to work for them, don't you think?[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

LadyLaw

Villager
[sblock=ooc]That's the best way to deal with actions, in my opinion. During regular roleplay time such as this, it isn't really necessary, but if you still like to do it there's certainly no problem at all. It makes things nice and clear. :) I actually just added that to the combat rules section to be clear, because something like that would be necessary in combat. Otherwise it's too easy to lose track of things.[/sblock]
 

Vertexx69

Villager
[sblock=OOC]How do you feel about post order vs initiative in combat? I personally feel like initiative only works for the 1st round of combat to see who goes before the bad guys, then it should go post order to keep things rolling. The round of bad guy actions then post order for all the players.[/sblock]
 

Mezegis

Villager
[sblock=Post Order]I believe the rules indicate post order is how combat will be run. Initiative determines who goes before the bad guys, then it just goes by group, with post order determines order of actions. Is that considered "Mal's rules?"[/sblock]
 

LadyLaw

Villager
[sblock=ooc]Yup, that was already listed up there under combat rules. I have time to run it in normal initiative order, but people are used to doing it in blocks, so I figured I'd stick with it.

The only reason I didn't include the action block thing initially is because I thought that was standard procedure, but vertexx's post made me wonder if it wasn't, so I thought I better go back and add it.[/sblock]
 

Mezegis

Villager
After receiving the directions from the guards, Thalin heads into the correct manor, but takes a step back from the clay butler, “Curious…” he mutters as he follows it to the waiting room. He is still dressed in his very ordinary looking plain cloths, looking more like he belongs on a farm than going of on an adventure. Only a few telltale signs indicate he has any business being here, the chainmail glinting beneath his shirt, and his walk of someone with confidence.

Seeing a 3rd person in the room as he enters, but no conversation, he deduces the elf is another applicant for the job, “Hail, and well met Master Elf. I did not see you acquire a sigil from the Tower’s Shard, is there another location for those of an adventuring mindset to find work? It would make sense, a single tavern to cater to all adventurers would make money hand over fist, and would quickly be the envy of the other taverns. Tell me good sir, where might the tavern you patron be located?”

He heads towards a couch or chair near the elf he was addressing, “Pardon, where are my manners, the names Thalin, and I specialize in melee support. Not the most deft of swordsmen, but quite good at creating an opening for my stronger comrades to take advantage of.” He offers his hand with an air of expectation.
 

Otakkun

Villager
Kaelan eyes the half elf for a second before answering back. "I actually found one of those near the entrance of the tavern, dropped perhaps. As I entered the place I heard about the job so I just decided to attend directly.

As far as I know, there's only one tavern around when you're looking for a job."
, he adds.

Waiting for the half-elf to finish his introduction, Kaelan presents himself.

"Kaelan. I'm a swordsman as well"
 

LadyLaw

Villager
Soon after Thalin enters the room, the small clay figure returns carrying a platter with several glasses of light wine, crackers, and cheese. He sets these on a table next to the door. He then approaches Kaelan and Thalin, since they are standing, and holds out a piece of parchment in their direction. As soon as one of them takes it from him, he turns and exits back down the hallway again.

[sblock=The Parchment Reads]Dears Sirs,

I apologize for my delay in attending you. Please enjoy the refreshments and I will be with you as soon as I can.[/sblock]


[sblock=Mezegis]Please post a link to your character sheet when you get the chance. :)[/sblock]
 

Antithetist

Villager
Colgrave enters a little while after Thalin, having dawdled somewhat to take in the sights of the Highwater District. He passes the clay servant in the doorway as it is on its way out. "A very good day to you all," he utters sonorously, making a bow as he notices the unfamiliar elf. "Perfectly charmed to meet you. I am Colgrave." He strides over to help himself to a glass of wine, glancing over the note, and then proceeds to an armchair and flops down, arranging his long limbs into a languid pose. He gives an exaggerated sigh of satisfaction as he sinks into the comfortable chair. He sips from his wineglass in one hand as the metal sigil taken from the note in the inn spins and dances between the deft fingers of the other, flashing as it catches the light.

"I must say," he comments idly, "this seems to be a rather superior sort of employer we're anticipating here. Splendid disregard for the niceties of timekeeping - a most excellent sign, speaking of the finest social pedigree, don't you know."

[sblock=OOC]Thanks for delaying! Can't wait to get stuck in here.

Character sheet: http://leb.wikia.com/wiki/LEB%3APC%3AColgrave%28Antithetist%29[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

hornedturtle

Villager
After falling behind the rushing half elf, 354b eventually finds the highwater district. Following the directions to the letter he also manages to find the house in question. Following the clay golem in he pays no attention to it focusing more on taking in his surroundings and noting any historical significance.

[sblock=actions]
Move:walking
Standard:perception check 1d20+7=20
Free:Knowledge History check 1d20+13=16
Using Legend Lore 354b can replace any knowledge check with a history check.
[/sblock]

Speaks in DarkSlateGray
Character Sheet
 
Last edited:

LadyLaw

Villager
[sblock=HornedTurtle]If you want to make a perception or history check you will need to make a roll and post it, but there isn't much out of the ordinary to see here.

Also, just so you know, Perception isn't a knowledge skill. Knowledge checks would include: Arcana, Dungeoneering, History, Nature, and Religion.[/sblock]

You aren't waiting much longer before your host finally makes an appearance. A tall human in dark clothes enters the room about 10 minutes after 354B arrives. His auburn hair is tied back in a tail that hangs a couple inches below his shoulders. His face and hands show evidence of old burns in the form of small scars, but nothing overly serious. He takes a glass of wine and bit of cheese for himself and seats himself next to the door before speaking.

"Welcome, all of you. I apologize again for my tardiness in greeting you. I had wanted to speak with you in the tavern, but I think this will work out better after all. We can be more open here.

My name is Rafftry d'Cannith. What I need is for you to retrieve something from The Mournlands for me. I will explain more in a moment, but first I'd like to know your names, and perhaps your specialties. Also, I think it best if you all agree that entering The Mournlands isn't something you're opposed to before we continue."


His speech is plain. Although the room is comfortable and the food is good, he doesn't carry the air of authority with him that nobles tend to. However, his clothes are fine enough that it's obvious he isn't of the typical working class, or even merchant class, either.

He eats the cheese bit with gusto, but sips the wine casually while waiting for your response.
 

Vertexx69

Villager
Introductions:

After their prospective employer asks them to introduce themselves there is a bit of a pause, then the wilden Rises from his bed-like seat and walks to the center of the room giving an awkward bow while holding out a hand so that the tiny red imp girl has somewhere to stand while she curtsies. "I an I bein called Karananak Bole, dough dem Iron Gatekeepas be callin I Swomwispuh also, and dis ere be Eve. I be claimin some minuh control oh dee winds, an da way tuh be callin tuh Nature uhself fa rassistances."

He raises the hand that Eve is standing on and blows her apart like she was made of ashes with a single breath before dropping his hand to his side. "I an I alsa be avin a way tuh be seein rond cawnas When dee need be dare." A small hunk of cheese breaks itself off the platter and flies in an arc toward the wilden which he catches and eats merrily. Eve appears at the serving tray and takes a bit of cheese for herself before flying back over to Karananak, where she hovers next to him.

"Dough mos toh dee time I an I can be phoned in dis fawm when dee fightin be stotin. An dis ere bein uh vary powafall fawm ot dot trute." With that his very form seems to shift ever so slightly at first, like something is crawling over his skin. But on closer inspection it is revealed that it actually is his skin that's crawling
, his entire being made of hundreds of tiny insects and rats, needlefang drakes and bats along with every other creature you have ever heard of attacking in a swarm. The swarm stops looking humanoid and drops to all-fours. where it vaguely resembles a big hunting cat and snarls as it stalks around the room. Then the swarm disperses from where it was to reform into the tree man several feet from where his swarm was before. As he takes another bow, Eve flies over to him and crawls into his vest. "No what you be tinkin boat dat?"
[sblock=Actions]Free: Bow to group
Minor:
Make Eve Invisible
Move: Cross room
Standard: Wild Shape[/sblock][sblock=Swarmwhisper]Karananak Bole—Male Wilden Druid 4; Resist 5 Fire, (Resist 4 Melee/Ranged in Beast Form)
Initiative: +2, Low-Light, Passive Perception: 22, Passive Insight: 22
AC: 17, Fort: 18, Reflex: 15(17 in beast form), Will: 19 — Speed: 6
HP: 45/45, Bloodied: 22, Surge: 11, Surges left: 11/11
Action Points: 1/1, Second Wind: Not Used, Milestones 0
Powers -
Savage Rend
Locust Swarm
Cold Wind

Scattered Form
Voyage of the Ancients/Wrath of the Destroyer/Pursuit of the Hunter
Battering Claws

Summon Pack Wolf
Healing Infusion

Item Powers:

Character Sheet
[/sblock][sblock=OOC]My translations will be inside the OOC block from now on too.[sblock=Translation]I am called Karananak Bole though the Iron Gatekeepers call me Swarmwhisper also, and this is Eve. I claim some minor control over the winds and a way to summon an aspect of Nature for help in battle.

I also have a way to spy around corner when the need is there.

Though most of the time I can be found in this form if a fight starts.

So what do you think of that?
[/sblock]
[/sblock]
 

Mezegis

Villager
Thalin watches both the prospective employer enter, and then Karananak's interesting display, with a measure of delight. He avoids the food for now, but watches those that do partake to see their reactions. The name is Thalin, Thalin Thoon, and as I just said a moment ago, I specialize in melee support. Alas, I do not have much in the way of fantastical tricks nor shapechanging abilities. I simply inspire the best and then some from my allies. he says, with no attempt at showmanship. I've done my time in plenty of fights, seen both trained soldiers wet themselves, and a kitchen boy kill 3 men with a peeling knife because he had to inorder to live.

Sitting down across from their host, he takes a moment to adjust his pack on the floor, and his sword at his hip for maximum comfort before continuing. Now I don't really fancy a trip into the Mournlands, but I do need coin in me pocket and these fine gents mostlikely need my help. So perhaps we'll see what you have to say, and then I'll decide how best to continue. He then motions for the others to sit and share their stories, both for their patrons request and for his own knowledge on them, their skills, and how they'll fit into this grand story.

[sblock=Stuff] Link to sheet: http://http://leb.wikia.com/wiki/Thalin_Thoon_(Mezegis),_Half-Elven_Bard_4
Diplomacy(with Word of Friendship) to make him like us and allow me to decide later on the quest: 1d20+18=37 yeah... Diplomacy, I has it![/sblock]
 

Antithetist

Villager
Colgrave listens respectfully to the others, nodding with appreciation at both his prospective allies' demonstrations of their respective talents - Karananak's swarm-shifting and Thalin's simple charm (which, he feels bound to confess, makes his own abilities in that field appear rather pale and amateurish by comparison).

Easing himself to his feet, he bows to the master of the house with an elaborate flourish of his hand. "I am Colgrave," he repeats once more for the employer's benefit. His opal eyes shimmer and flash as he surveys the assembled company for a moment. A checked serpent noses out from his sleeve and winds its way up his arm to coil around his neck, its scales a brilliant blue. He strokes it absently with a fond hand as he speaks.

"The Mournland, hmm? No place for a pleasant jaunt, of course, but then you were clear enough about the perils appertaining to your proposal. I have a few caveats relating to the precise intent and details of your scheme, which I should like to enquire about in due time, but for now let me say that in broad outline I believe I should be agreeable enough.

"As for my own qualifications, I'm tolerably well versed in the arcane; I fear I've always had a remonstrable proclivity for parlour tricks -" here he interrupts himself to flick his seal high into the air, where it promptly vanishes with a little wink of light; the next moment a little bundle of violets appears there and falls into his waiting hand, tied with a silk bow. "-and if one indulges such regrettable whims for long enough, sooner or later one is bound to pick up some more practical applications. First and foremost I am a creature of deception and chicanery," he concludes with a wry smile of self-deprecation, "but I am not incapable of the odd application of brute magical force, when the situation calls for such."

He holds his violets up to his nose and sniffs at them before immolating them instantly with a wave of his hand, leaving only a wisp of sweet-smelling smoke. In their place the metal seal is back, spinning between the fingers of his hand once more as he takes his seat again.
 

Otakkun

Villager
"My name's Kaelan. I'm a wandering swordsman and my speciality is, well..., hitting hard. Overall I also make a fairly good scout, which is going to come handy if we're going back into the mournlands."

He then directs his eyes to Karananak, to which he comments, "I've heard of nature keepers before, but I must say that I had never seen one first hand."
 

LadyLaw

Villager
[sblock=ooc]Gonna wait for the last intro before he replies.

A small detail, in case it wasn't clear, the sigils you used to get here weren't metal. They were just symbols drawn onto the bottom of the paper, rather like when you see advertisements with little strips dangling off the bottom with contact information on them. As far as I'm concerned, that doesn't stop you from doing anything you just did, but I just wanted to point that out.[/sblock]
 

Antithetist

Villager
[sblock=OOC]Ah, apologies - I was imagining little metal sigils pinned to the bottom of the note, rather than just drawn on to it. Oh well, thanks to the wonders of Prestidigitation, Colgrave's sigil is metal after all I guess. ;)[/sblock]
 

Advertisement

Top