(Adventure) The Monestary of Saint Feragon <Judge:Macbeth>

dpdx

Explorer
[Why, thank you, g. :)

I'll have you know that I'm proud to have thieved that mannerism from a half-orc I read about in a Story Hour or a PbP here (can't remember which). The half-orc's common was along the style of "Me Thrag. Town two days west this road," but then they ran into another group of orcs in a non-combat situation, and the orcish was totally conversational. "What's up, fellas? Sorry about chasing off that deer, but I'm glad you shot it." I mean, why wouldn't someone's first language (in this case, dwarven) be that way?
]

nimisgod

LEW Judge
OOC: No, I'm not a stranger to what you're doin'. In the manga Blade of the Immortal, all the punks and rogues talked like modern street thugs and used modern curses instead of using more archaic japanese phrases and figures of speech. Some of the players in my PBEM do the same to show that they're speaking conversationally in the fantasy language. Semi-ebonic dwarven on the other hand is something newer to my senses :)

Kahuna Burger

First Post
dpdx said:
Rurik turns to look at the priestess with the seriousness of a hallowing. Softly, he begins.

"Er, no, of course not, Kirin. Tactics're welcome, too. Would yer like I should hold 'em down first so you c'n splash 'em with the holy water? It seemed ter work on that dead bad guy we made for yer back 'ere, I'm think'n it's worth a shot!

But seriously, I tell yer what: I'll bet yer this 'ere axe offa my bloody dead stump ter be mourned later agin' a hunnerd a' yer clean, livin' gold tha' our tactics're just as effectivelike agin' the vexin' feral menace as the dancin' lights and ghost sounds, miss. Are ye up ta takin' that wager? The way I sees it, we got a big-pile-o'-dead-bad-guys 'ead start, but if yer so sure we're fixin' ta be dead, that ought not ter be much o' a problem, eh? Ye'd 'ave all the ex-ferals ye'd managed ter get back through yer sage and noble lecturin'!

Yer got a lot ter say ter people, I's noticin', from the comfort of yer freshly-cleaned-out plannin' area. Mind ye remember how that area came ter be, I'm just sayin'. An' alls I's sayin' afore was dun hit me with them lights, I'd hate ter stand there dumbfounded an' droolin'. It cramps me swing.
"

Rurik turns back toward the upcoming fray, briefly. Columbo-like ("an' another thing"), he turns back toward the priestess, a finger raised from his stubby little shield hand.

"An' please be quicker with the healin', lest ye actually have ter fight some o' 'em yerdurnself. I's fixin' ta die back there a coupla piles ago, bein' front an' center once again, ya know."

OOC: wow, I hope you are trying to roleplay driving kirin off... I don't feel the need to knuckle under to insults or deliberate jerks for the sake of "party unity". Stretched around enough of this sort of thing in games with set parties... A fighter who belittles the concept of 'drawing off a smaller group' or testing a possible weapon before wasting time in combat is not one that will have this clerical support. :( oh and thanks Uriel for not making my character part of the fight when she obviously wasn't playing follow the psycho dwarves. Another ENword DM has kindly assigned my character actions opposite to what she has opined would be a good idea...

Kirin looks utterly unimpressed with the continued posturing. "I have told you twice, fool, that my healing powers are near their limit. You have ignored me in favor of running off half cocked. And let me make it clear that what healing remains to me will be not be wasted on you. Nor will I be following along if your thugish bloodfrenzy is allowed to controll this rescue. I am here to help people, not enjoy a fight or loot unfortunates." She looks contemtuously at the slaughter about them. "Yes you killed these, and I did not. So what? You decided to charge a room and fight. I am not your follower, you are welcome to finish whatever fights you foolishly start, and I have no need to help you. I am here to help any innocents who remain alive and look to the root of this evil. Your headlong rush is doing neither except perhaps by coincidence."

dpdx

Explorer
I'm sorry I have to put this here, but I can't PM the player. Again, I apologize in advance.

Kahuna Burger said:
wow, I hope you are trying to roleplay driving kirin off... I don't feel the need to knuckle under to insults or deliberate jerks for the sake of "party unity".
Neither do I feel that need, but no, I'm roleplaying Rurik exactly how I think he would react, being the proud son of a dwarven clan with no mean confidence in his abilities, who'd been scolded by a PC who Rurik has witnessed scolding at least two other PCs in the party since the beginning of the adventure, including one PC that Rurik considers a friend, all without whining OOC about it.

Sorry if it touched a nerve. I seriously didn't expect it to.

A fighter who belittles the concept of 'drawing off a smaller group' or testing a possible weapon before wasting time in combat is not one that will have this clerical support.
Or that fighter is a fighter who hasn't had -any- experience with arcane support in combat, and might honestly need to be reassured that it's not going to go all pear-shaped.

But if that's seriously how you wish to play Kirin, go ahead and withhold clerical support. That will probably just confirm Rurik's suspicion that Kirin's all talk and no action, but Rurik wouldn't ever, say, withhold tactical support for such a silly reason while he's focused on a mission.

oh and thanks Uriel for not making my character part of the fight when she obviously wasn't playing follow the psycho dwarves. Another ENword DM has kindly assigned my character actions opposite to what she has opined would be a good idea...
Perhaps we can work this out without involving the DM and Guilt Puppy, not because I fear we're going to get kicked out of the game or anything, but because they had absolutely nothing to do with this exchange, and shouldn't need to waste their time.

Again, and above all, I'm very sorry that you felt personally wounded by what my PC had to say. But I don't think that feeling is warranted, in my honest opinion, and your PC's reaction goes more over the top than Rurik ever did.

dpdx

Explorer
And now for the IC response:

Kahuna Burger said:
Kirin looks utterly unimpressed with the continued posturing. "I have told you twice, fool, that my healing powers are near their limit. You have ignored me in favor of running off half cocked. And let me make it clear that what healing remains to me will be not be wasted on you. Nor will I be following along if your thugish bloodfrenzy is allowed to controll this rescue. I am here to help people, not enjoy a fight or loot unfortunates." She looks contemtuously at the slaughter about them. "Yes you killed these, and I did not. So what? You decided to charge a room and fight. I am not your follower, you are welcome to finish whatever fights you foolishly start, and I have no need to help you. I am here to help any innocents who remain alive and look to the root of this evil. Your headlong rush is doing neither except perhaps by coincidence."
"Hmm. Sorry, I reckon' we dun have an unnerstandin', then. I ain't goin' nowhere, an' I han't 'eard anyun' else complainin', so 'twas nice knowin' ya, I guess.

But mind ye unnerstan' this: I dun enjoy this fight any more'n you do, an' I dun have a scrap o' loot from these 'ere ferals, an' I ain't had a second ta charge anythin' since we got in 'ere, an' I ain't never led yer fer ya to call yerself followin' me, er none o' that twaddle yer talkin' 'bout.

So if ye can see past yer blind hatred o' every way that ain't yer own, and focus on what yer church might 'ave taught ye 'bout doin' unta others, and quit vexin' lyin' 'bout what I done, mebbe we could actcherly save summat."
"

Aranel

First Post
Aranel's attempts at voice counting was being interrupted by the others. Not old enough to risk using the term 'child' when talking to even those elves younger than her, she sighed and hurried back to Telerin's side.

"There are possibly two dozen, quite likely more." She warned him. "Not a place to," She paused to glamce at the Dwarves who were both chattering excitedly with the priest, "Rush in blindly anyway..."

Frowning at them all she walked over quietly. "Perhaps you would like to take your conversations and discussion where it does not endanger all our lives?" she asked them. Perhaps it would be best to find a room to barricade ourselves within and rest a while. Perhaps a meal and a while to plan our next moves would be..." The young elf looked between the group and the direction of the chanting. "Healthier for us."

nimisgod

LEW Judge
Sir Ishmael shook his head and retired to a small section of the room. At least, Rurik listened to him so his attempt at party unity didn't seem all that bad. Of course, that was a bald-faced lie. What he tried to do didn't really help matters, though it didn't degrade them either.

Aranel's words were true but these would not solve the situation. These might even aggravate the thick tension already there. The powers that be knew that Sir Ishmael didn't want that to happen. The halfling resisted the temptation to throw up his hands in the air or otherwise attract attention to himself while he contemplated about the groups' current predicament. This was not about him, after all and even if it did, those actions would be pointless.

So what could he do to remedy a rapidly tensing situation? Nothing unless he knew some kind of sorcery that allowed him to change people's minds. Instead, he kept his peace and waited for a solution. Either the members of his party (himself included of course) learned how to work together, or the Ferals would have more corpses to feast upon. He hadn't even considered the terrible fate that had befallen the monks yet. He definitely needed to take his mind off of that.

"Lady Arenel, may I ask thee a question? Wirt thou able to determine whether the voices were of orc, of man or of creatures worse? I think it would be wise if we knew the odds against us. For purposes of strategy of course..."

Last edited:

Telerin was doing his best to ignore the current talk going on, and Aranel's returning helped. Whitefang 'smiled' and padded over to her.
"The odds will be against us no matter what," Telerin commented quietly, "But I agree with Sir Ishmael. Could you tell what they were?"

Remove ads