[Adventure] The Race of the Five Horns (DM: stonegod, Judge: THB)

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
[The guard is about 8–10 squares away. The guard is vigilant, but it is dark so that helps. The stealth option would require a group stealth check, but a distraction or other plan might help with that.]

tactics] My first vote would be for Stealth, then attack. I don't have a lot of confidence in our trick/bluff capability, but if somebody has a hot idea...

Same as last time? We three spooks go surround or at least threaten poor guy, we prepare a rat(s) and/or cat(s) for distraction (not to be thrown at him but to be released at a time he notices something - or better yet, one cat and one rat on the side opposite of us so he hears something, turns and sees a cat chasing a rat)...and we pass by.

Of course, first we would need to find animals and that means we must go down again :(

pathfinderq1

First Post
OOC: No need for animals, and trying to get them seems like a waste of time. I say we go with the combo platter approach: attempt the 'group stealth check' method- move past him one at a time, with everyone not actually moving keeping ready (not a Readied action outside of combat, but rather weapon in hand and prepared, so we can attack in a surprise round) for an attack action if (or rather when) someone flubs their Stealth check.

Failing that, I think we ought to simply try to take him out- a single target ought to drop fairly quickly under a coordinated assault.

Also: did we get any idea of approximate difficulty of Stealth checks? And any idea of distance from our current position to the final target- or do we have to pass this obstacle first before we can make the approach to our actual objective?

Last edited:

OOC: Animals may be waste of time, but may help us avoid combat if someone fails the check. But as I see it, we can get for both Crush and Vok Ryk's stealth enhancers. We can also waste a minute for Vok to remove armor this time ... combat, if it comes to that will be short and against single target so no real chance of injury. And once we're past he can put it on. And while he's at it, we can hunt for a distraction...

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
[The stealth will be harder than the one previous due to proximity. A distraction will help with that if one is made.

Give me an agreed on plan and I'll let you know what skill checks you'll need. And I'll point out that there is at least one easy way to find an "animal"-like thing in party even if you discount Spring.]

pathfinderq1

First Post
OOC: A Medium-sized anything ought to be out of place enough on the rooftop to cause suspicion, and we can't be sure what might trigger an alarm. If it were a free-willed human, I might try the "lost dog" trick, but with a programmed guard-bot, it probably won't work. We can try it if that is the party vote, but... Animal Messenger would take too long, and requires an animal to be already present, so that won't work. Swarming locusts might work. If we want a distraction, Rikka could set up outside direct LoS (behind some of the laundry lines, for instance) and set out a locust swarm not on the target, but within view- again, might be suspicious enough to raise an alarm, but not specifically humanoid or man-made.

My votes: (1) just take this guy out, focused direct attacks from surprise (possibly using distraction to draw attention before strike. OR (2) Attempt to sneak past, one at a time, with distraction in place if he seems to have cued in (either locust cloud, Bellegon's racial darkness cloud, or thrown debris-if the target is hidden behind laundry, he might move to investigate before sounding an alarm. Anybody else have a vote or idea so we can get rolling?

OOC: Sneak in, ready to blast him. Vok and Crush sneak by. At the slightest noise, throw a pebble on the opposite side. IF that doesn't work, blast away.

That way we can try all three,
1. sneak - hopefuly with bonus for readied 2. distraction
3. kill the guard

Darkness wouldn't work since it is clearly unnatural and it would cause the alarm - and you cannot see inside. I can ready it as potential line-of-sight blocker, but if we get so far to need it, it is probably better just to kill it.

so, plan: Bellegon and Ryk sneak in. Rikka holds position also ready to blast. Crush and Vok go. If they succeed swell, if not, we kill the guard and go on.

Would Vok and Crush be more silent if they drag themselves along the rope above ground(roof) do thier legs don't touch down?

Remove ads