• Welcome to this new upgrade of the site. We are now on a totally different software platform. Many things will be different, and bugs are expected. Certain areas (like downloads and reviews) will take longer to import. As always, please use the Meta Forum for site queries or bug reports. Note that we (the mods and admins) are also learning the new software.
  • The RSS feed for the news page has changed. Use this link. The old one displays the forums, not the news.

4E [Adventure] The Race of the Five Horns (DM: stonegod, Judge: THB)

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
The Race of the Five Horns (Completed)

Cast
- Vok Vaerhirmana, half-elf paladin (renau1g)
- Bellegon Darksun, drow warlock (MetaVoid)
- Crush, warforged warlord (pacdidj)
- Rikka Quickpounce, elven druid (pathfinderq1)
- Ryk Tavishny, halfling ranger (On Puget Sound)

Game Stages

Quests
- Major: Win the Race
- Minor: Save the Lord

XP
- Soarsled Race: 350
- Capture the Flag: 210
- Combat Challenge: 540
- Race to the Finish: 240
- Platform Battle: 560
- Quest: Win the Race 350
- Assassination!: 680
- Quest: Save the Lord 70
Total: 3000

Awards
- 168gp per PC for winning the Race [Link]
- Ryk: "Sentinel Marshal's Hunt Mastery" Grandmaster Training: Same benefit as Quickhit Bracers (lvl 5). [Link]
- Rikka: "Mastery of the Shifter's Game" Grandmaster Training: Same benefit as Boots of Rapid Motion (lvl 5) [Link]
- Crush: "Adamants Immovable Stance" Gransmaster Training: Same benefit as Spiked Soles (lvl 5) [Link]
- Bellegon: "Powers of the Twice-Fold Master" Grandmaster Training: Same benefit as Gloves of Eldritch Admixture (lvl 8) [Link]
- Vok: "Dol Arrah's Radiance" Divine Boon: Same benefit as Pelor's Sun Blessing (lvl 8). [Link]
- 1 Boon of Breland Token per PC [Link]

RP Awards (January 2010–February 2011)
- Players: 13 RP
- DM: 26 RP

An Inauspicious Start

Cold winter rain fell outside the Shard, a grey and inauspicious start to the group's future glory. They were yet a long way from Middle Dura.

[sblock=Rules]Welcome to the game! Action can begin now. Please put a summary of your character with a link to the character thread in your first posts and any combat post like so:[sblock=Tondrek]Tondrek—Male Half-orc Artificer 6
Initiative: +7, Low-Light, Passive Perception: 19, Passive Insight: 14
AC: 22, Fort: 19, Reflex: 19, Will: 17 — Speed: 6, 8 when charging
HP: 53/53, Bloodied: 26, Surge: 13, Surges left: 9/10; Half-orc Resilience
Action Points: 1, Second Wind: Not Used
Powers -
Magic Weapon
Static Shock

Scouring Weapon
Repulsion Strike

Icebound Sigil
Flameheart Defender

Healing Infusion x2
Swift Mender
Furious Assault

Regeneration Infusion
Battle Staff +1 (daily)
Targeting Crossbow +2 (daily)
Point Blank Repeating Crossbow +1 (encounter)
Skald's Leather Armor +2 (daily)
Onyx Dog (daily)
2 Clockwork Bombs
2 Woundpatches
2 Alchemist's Acids


Doggie—Construct 4
Initiative +7; Low-light, Passive Perception 17
AC: 16, Fort: 15, Reflex: 14, Will: 13 — Speed: 8
HP: 22/9; Bloodied 4

Full character sheet[/sblock] Feel free to make your own rolls, linking to Invisible Castle or some other place for the result. For some rolls, I'll take 10 for you most of the time. Please post your speech and thoughts in your character's color, using italics for the latter. I prefer players who post about once a day, and I will NPC or write out characters who are inactive for short or long periods of time. OOC text should be in grey, like this or in sblocks.

Have fun![/sblock]
 
Last edited:

Kalidrev

Villager
[sblock=Judging] Hey SG, if you don't have anyone else all ready picked out, I'd love to Judge this adventure! [/sblock]
 

MetaVoid

Explorer
OOC: subscribing.

From tavern thread:


Warlock gathers his cloak around himself and raises his hood again. Silently, he glides out and stands in the shadow of the building while others greet their various acquitances...he follows the group keeping just a bit off on the side

[sblock=For stonegod ONLY]
How'd you treat the following: as we approach race track dark elf approaches some semi-hidden drunk/beggar, curses him, gives him gold piece and blasts him with his at will that has fluff saying "For some, a mere glance is too much to handle" he then yells for help explaining the truth, the person took one look and died of fright! Oh, and gave initial charge for dark spiral aura :)

I know it's evil, but Bellegon would not think that way. For him, he is drow and he takes what he needs and if you're too weak and/or useless to your tribe, you need to be MADE useful. I'm guessing in Umbragen such person would get food, lodging and weapon training and be taken out on patrols to prove himself or die.

Would it be too evil for unaligned character?
[/sblock]
 

pathfinderq1

Villager
Rikka stepped out of the tavern doors and took a brief moment to let the chilly rain splash over her face. She seemed used to the effects of the weather and showed no visible discomfort- though she did pause for just a moment to check the covers of her quiver and bowcase.

"So, Middle Dura... I'd guess it is down there somewhere," she purred, with a vague wave in the direction of the 'outer' edge of the area. "Has any of you been there?" She had already begun to walk, even before she finished speaking, and despite the size of her pack she moved with a feline grace.

[sblock= STAT block]
Rikka Pouncequick—Female Elf Druid 4 (Predator)
Initiative: +6, Low-Light, Passive Perception: 30, Passive Insight: 17
AC: 20, Fort: 14, Reflex: 18, Will: 19 — Speed: 8 (wild step)
HP: 40/40, Bloodied: 20, Surge: 10, Surges left: 8/8
Action Points: 1, Second Wind: Not Used
*Group awareness: non-elf allies within 5 squares get +1 Perception bonus
>Skills: Acrobatics +10, Athletics +6, Endurance +7, Nature +14, Perception +20 (!), Dungeoneering +7, Insight +7, Stealth +5
Powers -
Wild shape (at will)
Chill wind (at will)
Savage rend (at-will)
Swarming locusts (at-will)
Longbow +1 (at-will, RBA)
Thorn spray (encounter 1)
Roar of the unbowed beast (encounter 3)
Elven accuracy (encounter)
Savage frenzy (daily 1)
Fleet pursuit (utility 2/daily)
Ornament of alertness (daily/item)
Deathcut hide armor +1 (daily/item)

LEB:pC:Rikka Pouncequick (pathfinderq1 - ENWiki)

[/sblock]
 

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
[sblock=MetaVoid]Evil in D&D isn't subjective, remember. That's not an unaligned act (anything that ends in death ain't, and even if they survived, it wouldn't be good).

In any case, its moot: Darkspiral aura lasts until the end of an encounter so it would not benefit you any. No pre-charging.[/sblock][sblock=Streetwise/History 10]Middle Dura is in one of the oldest parts of Sharn on the western side of the cliffs. It will be a very long walk. Skycoach is better.[/sblock][sblock=Streetwise 15]Harrith's Folly is known for its very unusual architecture and for the large, open air arena at its heart.[/sblock][sblock=Streetwise 25]The designer of Harrith's Folly, Harrith ir'Tain, supposedly went mad during the project from his inspiration. There are a few that say the configuration of the buildings have some occult significance, but they are likely mad themselves.[/sblock]
 

pathfinderq1

Villager
"it is like to be a bit of a walk, so we best get moving. Wouldn't want to miss the race," Rikka called out as she began to make her way through the streets. While she knew little about life amongst the great stone trees, her eyes and ears were sharp, and her sense of direction was uncanny...

OOC: [sblock] Streetwise 22 (CRIT!), History 20- and I imagine that uses up half my good rolls for the adventure. Rolls Roll Lookup . No way in heck she is going to suggest a skycoach. I thought we were in Clifftop (Upper Dura)- isn't Middle Dura just down? Or is our destination at the far end of the district, as well as down a tier? [/sblock]
 

On Puget Sound

Villager
I'm newly arrived in Sharn, I don't know where Middle Dura is. But this sounds like an event most locals would know about; we can ask for directions. Pardon me, sir, do you.... no, wait, come back, he won't bite...

Seeing Rikka move with such confidence, Ryk and Spring follow her.

Ryk would never think of a skycoach; the concept of " too far to walk" is foreign to a Talenta native. However, if someone else suggested it he would have no objection, and could coax Spring on board.

Streetwise 11, History 5 - I haven't a clue!

[sblock="stat block"]
Ryk Tavishny
Initiative +7; Senses Passive Insight 13, Passive Perception 18
HP 38/38 Surges 6/6
AC 20, 22 vs Opportunity attacks; Fortitude 17, Reflex 17, Will 13
Second Wind: 1/1 Action Points: 1/1
status effects: none
* Spring
* Dinosaur
* Insight=13
* Perception=13
* HP=46/46
* Surges=2
* AC=19, 21 vs Opportunity attacks
* Fortitude=16
* Reflex=16
* Will=14
* status effects: none


Hunter's Quarry (Minor; at-will)

Predator Strike (Standard; at-will)

Twin Strike (Standard; at-will)

Second Chance (Immediate Interrupt; encounter)
Synchronized Strike (Standard; encounter)
Paired Predators (Standard; encounter)

Partnered Savaging (Standard; daily)
Hunter's Privilege (No Action; daily)

Potion of Healing x 4 (Consumable. Minor action)
[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

dimsdale

Villager
[sblock=ooc]

All character careers have been updated for each character in this adventure.
here

Please check here to make sure there are no errors.

thanks

dimsdale
(Self Appointed LEB Archivist)

[/sblock]
 

pacdidj

Villager
Streetwise 18, History 9

"I'm new to Sharn as well friends, but the halfling has the right idea: we should definitely seek directions from a local. If this 'Middle Dura' is a ways away, we'd be far better off taking a Skycoach than walking." Crush stops the first passerby he sees, "Excuse me sir, could you point my comrades and I in the direction of Middle Dura? Would it be a long walk from here?..."

[sblock="OOC"]
Crush is a familiar city dweller, having lived for a time in the Cyran city of Metrol. I'm assuming that even though he failed the history check, the streetwise entitles him to suggesting a Skycoach.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Crush]Crush—Male Warforged Warlord 4
Initiative: +4, Passive Perception: 12, Passive Insight: 12
AC: 21, Fort: 17, Reflex: 13, Will: 16 — Speed: 6
HP: 41/41, Bloodied: 20, Surge: 10, Surges left: 9/9
Action Points: 1, Second Wind: Not Used
Powers -
Furious Smash
Wolf Pack Tactics
Warlord's Strike
Myrmidon Formation
Inspired Belligerence
Fearless Rescue
Inspiring Word
Warforged Resolve
Vengeful Longsword +1 (Encounter)
Veteran's Chainmail +2 (daily)
Razor Light Shield (daily)
Distance Hand Crossbow +1

Full character sheet[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
[sblock=OOC/Correction]pathfinderq1 is correct; I got the Tower confused with the location of the other adventurer's guild in Tavick's Landing. However, its still not advisable to walk all the way (as Dura is very large horizontally *and* vertically).[/sblock]A dwarf laborer by the looks of it looks askance at the warforged when stopped. He frowns heavily with a 'why-me' attitude. Down, any direction. Humph.

Rikka, though a relative newcomer to the towering city, recalls a sup with a stranger that had come to the Reaches from Breland. She clearly recalls the odd, deer-hoof shape of the main city, and believes that their destination is not only down, but at least another "district" over, if she understands the terminology the man used. A walk of an hour or more, to be sure.
 

On Puget Sound

Villager
A skycoach? The object of a race is to get somewhere fastest. Though the race has not yet begun, let us begin finding faster ways to get places. How do we make one stop for us?
 

MetaVoid

Explorer
[sblock=Evil (For stonegod)]
Well, as unaligned char and even as good character I can do SOME evil things RARELY - even paladin finds IC excuse to be elsewhere while other 'interrogate' bad guy.

And Darkspiral aura lasts until next short or extended rest so if I do this before we start there is some use. It's not big deal, that one point serves very little purpose except to flash out Bellegon's character and way of thinking (I never played drow before, but I read much (including Against the Giants - I just didn't connect that default drow in eberron are jungle nomads, I thought them exception...

What I'm trying to get is that Bellegon wouldn't think it evil and he has no god to be afraid of. But no problem, I'll do same thing as discussed here except truly attack the person. I'll just show him drow face and hope he recognizes it as something terible :)
[/sblock]

Streetwise; History (1d20+6=26, 1d20+5=20)

Coming from lower levels to upper, Bellegon got to know the streets well. Also, he did his research as any good messenger needs to, to know how to fit in and avoid trouble delivering his messages.

"Lower Dura is way off and the streets are dangerous for normal people. We're not helpless, but there is no need to walk all that way. We go by skycoach, I'll fetch one."

he lowers his hood and walks toward nearest station signalling to one of visible drivers that he needs the service.

[sblock=Stat block]
Bellegon Darksun, Male Drow Dark Warlock 4
Initiative +5; Senses: Darkvision, Passive Insight: 12, Passive Perception: 12
HP 40, Bloodied 20, Surge Value 10, Surges 7
AC 17; Fortitude 14, Reflex 17, Will 18

Skills: Arcana +10, Bluff +11, Intimidate +13, Thievery +10, Acrobatics +5, Athletics +1, Diplomacy +6, Dungeoneering +2, Endurance +3, Heal +2, History +5, Insight +2, Nature +2, Perception +2, Religion +5, Stealth +9, Streetwise +6

Speed 6
Action points: 1, Second wind: unused

Powers
-
Eldritch Strike
Spiteful Glamor
Darkspiral aura

Cloud of darkness
Darkfire
Cursebite
Ethereal Stride
Shared Agony

Your Glorious Sacrifice

Full character sheet

[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

renau1g

Villager
Vok walks out of the tavern, the cold rain pelting his platemail, gathering into tiny rivulets that ran down and finally fell to the street. The half-elf looks around and gives a good natured shrug at the weather, "Hopefully it'll be better when we race" he jokes as they walk.

As the others begin discussing the methods of heading to Middle Dura Vok struggles to recall anything that may help them get there, just some things he's heard about the area. When Bellegon begins to look for a sky coach, the paladin calmly crosses his arms and patiently waits, heading under an overhand nearby to get some shelter from the rain.

[sblock=OOC]
Just a reminder to everyone that if you're close to Vok you'll get a +1 on Diplomacy and if you're near Rikka +1 to Perception[/sblock]

[sblock= stat block]
Vok Vaerhirmana—Male Half-Elf Paladin 4 (Sovereign Host)
Initiative: +2, Low-Light, Passive Perception: 18, Passive Insight: 17
AC: 23, Fort: 18, Reflex: 16, Will: 19 — Speed: 5 (in armor)
HP: 51/51, Bloodied: 25, Surge: 12, Surges left: 14/14
Action Points: 1, Second Wind: Not Used
*Group Diplomacy: You grant allies within 10 squares of you a +1 racial bonus to Diplomacy checks.
>Skills: Diplomacy +14, Insight +7, Intimidate +12, Perception +8, Religion +6
Powers -
Valourous Strike (at will)
Enfeebling Strike (at will)
Divine Challange (at-will)
Lay on Hands (at-will) (1/day)
Valorous Smite (encounter 1)
Invigorating Smite (encounter 3)
Guiding Strike (encounter)
Divine Mettle or Strength (encounter)
Majestic Halo (daily 1)
Bless Weapon (utility 2/daily)


LEB:pC:Vok Vaerhirmana (renau1g- ENWiki)

[/sblock]
 

pathfinderq1

Villager
"An hour of walking might do us good, let us explore a bit on the way- or get warmed up. Riding in a flying coach seems like a odd way to get to a race..." The elven woman seemed unconvinced by the idea of a skycoach ride, but at least she stopped walking and waited with the others. Even as she paused, though, she seemed to be constantly on the lookout- her eyes ceaselessly swept the area around her as if she was watching for something...
 

renau1g

Villager
"Aye, it might, but then again, why not travel to the race in comfort, relax our muscles to have them ready for what will surely be difficult course" Vok says to the elf in her native language
 

pathfinderq1

Villager
[sblock=In Elvish] "And that way of thinking would have us fat and lazy as that sheeplike fellow back in the tavern, with his 'Salt Town Five'. We can only hope for a bit more competition than that..." [/sblock]

The elf gave a weary, almost disgusted look back towards the tavern door as she continued to watch the drow attempt to flag down a skycoach.
 

On Puget Sound

Villager
[sblock=In Elvish]One skyride will make you desire silks? Servants? Lotus smokes? Not any elfs I ever meet! Some halflings yes, true, be soft when leave the plains. But not elfs, and not me either. This is not my grass. This is not your trees. In different place we must be different. Worry no. Enjoy flying box. Watch below, maybe see shorter paths for race.[/sblock]

Ryk's Elvish is basic and his syntax is a bit broken, but quite understandable.
 
Last edited:

pathfinderq1

Villager
[sblock=In Elvish] "And the wolf did not 'expect' to become a tame lap-dog when he took meat from the hand of the elder folk. It was a slow process, begun with one moment of indulgence. Still, you are right in a fashion- new lands and new customs can be examined and tested with a proper sense of awareness." After a pause, there was a brief chuckle. "Of course, maybe no skycoach wants to carry the likes of us- we are a strange band in such a settled place. Not the strangest, I would guess, but certainly enough to give a coachman a moment's pause..." [/sblock]
 

pacdidj

Villager
Crush grows increasingly fidgety as the conversation in elvish continues. Finally, he bursts out, "Will you lot quiet that insufferable jabbering!?!? There's no sense tromping about the city when we can save time and strength in the skycoach," he declares.

The warforged then moves to stand at a slight distance from the elven-speakers, only to end up looking foolish standing in the rain, his joints squeaking with moisture. He mutters to himself intermittently, his voice sounding like the grinding of broken clockwork,
"Beastly language... Filthy... Undisciplined..."

 

Advertisement

Top