Adventure Time Book For D&D?

I wonder what this is about. https://twitter.com/ChrisPerkinsDnD/status/590711704616620034 I am crazy hoping Wizards is bringing Pendleton in to advise on a new Gamma-Worldish setting.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I dunno - I always figured one of the big strengths of AT as a narrative was that it didn't HAVE to be codified. Your magic stretchy dog can do whatever. And it's not about stabbing goblins or gaining treasure, it's about the particular characters and their own personality quirks.

So I don't know that AT's awesomeness would translate that well to D&D in particular.

That said, the tweet just says Pendelton is swinging by to collaborate on "a future D&D story." Given other tweets and subjects about how book publishing is NOT the sole route they see the "D&D stories" being told in, it could be completely unrelated to a world supplement, and it could also be completely unrelated to Adventure Time (Pendleton's got other irons in the fire, I'm sure).

I'm optimistic about the *actual* thing Perkins tweeted about, by itself - it's really cool that WotC is tapping smart, creative D&D fans to collaborate with in any capacity. It doesn't have to be an AT world supplement - I don't know I'd want that. But it could be, like [MENTION=13009]Paraxis[/MENTION] said, some sort of collaboration on a bit of a narrative element that could use his special touch.

Hell, maybe he's being tapped for a potential D&D cartoon show on Habro's network feautring one of the "stories." That'd be fly as frig - I'd be more hyped about that then some d20 rules for your magical vampire queen or whatever.

S

Sunseeker

Hell, maybe he's being tapped for a potential D&D cartoon show on Habro's network feautring one of the "stories." That'd be fly as frig - I'd be more hyped about that then some d20 rules for your magical vampire queen or whatever.

A fun, not necessarily child-aimed but not dark and gritty animated series would be a perfect outlet for D&D.

Barantor

Explorer
Kids will be all over this. Ward's Adventure Time has many references to D20 gaming already and the conversion is a 'no brainer' for WoTC to try and bring in a younger audience.

Rampant speculation, he is helping with the adventure book project Perkins has mentioned he is doing, the one rumored to be inspired by Alice in Wonderland.

Man even if this is just a product with Pendleton Ward as a contributor in some capacity, that would be sweet.

There's no way this is going to have anything to do with Adventure Time itself. It's definitely exciting that Pendleton Ward is going to be contributing to D&D (I'm almost positive this'll be the "Alice in Wonderland"-themed AP, it's a perfect fit for his style), but people are leaping to wildly improbable conclusions just because the words "Adventure Time" were said.

A fun, not necessarily child-aimed but not dark and gritty animated series would be a perfect outlet for D&D.

Now that is a really interesting idea. I'm still ~95% certain it's an AP they're talking about, but a successful D&D animated series would be the perfect way to leverage the IP and potentially funnel newcomers into the player base.

Guyanthalas

First Post
"Kids" used loosely in my opinion. I've been watching it fairly often since it was recommended to me by another friend of mine. It was specifically recommend because "it seems to have a lot of D&D references".

After some episodes, I started to think of how it could easily be a D&D world. The places are pretty close.
Beneathaverse - Underdark
Nightosphere - Potentially shadowfell or abyssal chaos
Land of the Dead - More likely shadowfell
Cloud Kingdom - Astral Plane
Lumpy Space - Far Realm

Also, if anyone hasn't seen it (and enjoys cartoons) I recommend watching two or three episodes to get a feel for it. they are 11 minutes long and don't have much continuity.

Ashran

Explorer
I don't see them doing AT. Sure it would be great for kids, and some adults, but it's very niche (even more niche than D&D imho) and I don't see a lot of people paying for something like that. I sure would not. Of course I can be wrong...

Maybe He is there to do a "crossover". A special episode of AT with a dungeons and dragons theme and some famous characters coming over...

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Now that is a really interesting idea. I'm still ~95% certain it's an AP they're talking about, but a successful D&D animated series would be the perfect way to leverage the IP and potentially funnel newcomers into the player base.

I honestly think it makes the MOST sense. Though he could just be consulting on an AP, if you HAVE one of the coolest dudes in cartoons up to your workplace, and he's a fan of what you work on, why would you NOT ask him what it would take for him to make a cartoon about what you work on? :)

I might just be getting myself psyched up for no reason though. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads