Adventure Time Book For D&D?

I wonder what this is about. https://twitter.com/ChrisPerkinsDnD/status/590711704616620034 I am crazy hoping Wizards is bringing Pendleton in to advise on a new Gamma-Worldish setting.

Fralex

Explorer
Wooo, Pen Ward! Judging by the sheer amount of D&D references Adventure Time has, this sounds like something he'll have fun with. Seriously, some of the things they talk about on that show are direct references to game mechanics:
Finn: Then, is Flame Princess: evil or maybe chaotic neutral?
Flame King: She's evil.
Finn: Okay, so your daughter's evil. We've established that, but do you think if a good guy really liked her, could he, change her to good?
Flame King: Hmmmmm, well, there'd be penalties to her experience if she acted out of alignment.

Also relevent:
[sblock][video=youtube;PrWV4Hemfio]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrWV4Hemfio[/video]
[video=youtube;Y3baEtSTbog]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3baEtSTbog[/video][/sblock]

Psikerlord#

Explorer
Its popular, and even has adult fans. It would be a perfect fit for a more whimsical, light hearted adventure style.

Down with the Ice King!
I love adventure time and so do my kids. It's bloody hilarious, and I keep finding myself pointing out "hey that's from DnD you know!" Off the top of my head there has been references to alignment, the planes, "+" magic weapons, meteor swarm, cantrips - there's all sorts of DnD references in there.

It's a funny, great show.

Guyanthalas

First Post
My first post should have been "Oh man, this is totally Math." ;)

I love adventure time and so do my kids. It's bloody hilarious, and I keep finding myself pointing out "hey that's from DnD you know!" Off the top of my head there has been references to alignment, the planes, "+" magic weapons, meteor swarm, cantrips - there's all sorts of DnD references in there.

It's a funny, great show.

Yes, and like most things I love I plan to steal from it. :D My home brew game has some book McGuffin that the players need. I had some crazy latin name for it, but I'm just going to call it the "Enchiridion" now.

halfling rogue

Explorer
Yeah, I'm really not seeing this as a new project for a D&D storyline like an Adventure Path or anything like that which will be played on a tabletop. I really think this is one of two things.

1) An Adventure Time D&D special type of show/feature. This doesn't really thrill me, but it's cool exposure. But the RPG special cartoon has been done before with Futurama and Phineas & Pherb. The only thing different about something like this might be that AT goes D&D specific rather than RPG generic.

2) A D&D cartoon. This thought is actually pretty exciting. And now that I think about it, if they do go this route, it very well could wind up making some sort of an impact on future Adventure Storylines that do translate to the tabletop. I really do hope they go this route.

I look forward to a year from now when people are anrgy that WotC cancelled the Adventure Time game they formally announced in April 2014. I kid! A little. :cool:

Part of me is excited because this would be a D&D sort of thing I could introduce my kid to. My suspicion is whatever they do will probably be a unique property "Powered by D&D" or something similar (I will call it now and say one of the D&D Adventures board games will be an AT set), an introductory kid-friendly game. Although the show is amusing it's very lite in terms of its complexity for adults, so not sure it could really provide much substance as a full-on D&D sourcebook, definitely not one I'd get for my own purposes. If they did this before...oh...I dunno, my pipe dream of a historical resource book that let you run D&D in an accurate mythic middle ages or something (and I want you to be certain that I realize the days of TSR's Historical Resource books are looooooong gone and I'm one of 34 people out there who'd actually care to see such books) I'd be a bit sad if only because, while AT is a cool ride as cartoons go, it's very much in a zone of complexity for the 8-13 set, and most of those kids are only going to look for this (I suspect) because their mom & dad or cool uncle/aunt gives it to them, and not because it's somehow more accessible than the AT computer game or show.

aramis erak

Legend
Its popular, and even has adult fans. It would be a perfect fit for a more whimsical, light hearted adventure style.

Down with the Ice King!

I've not heard elementary kids talk about it. I have heard high school and older talk about it.

I've seen a couple episodes, and don't much care for it. It's well enough done, but it's not for me.

It's not a kids show any more than the Muppet Show was - yeah, it's cute enough, yeah, kids watch it, but the humor is often subtle and geeky in ways that preclude kids getting the humor.

sillyxander

First Post
Hi guys hope I'm not putting this in wrong section.

I love the idea of Adventure Time as D&D game. There are some many great influences from D&D in so many great things. It's nice for those things to be showing up in D&D now.

However there is a game call FAR AWAY LAND, that has the similar feel to Adventure Time but it is a unique great game that I love using with my students at the school I teach at. I'm putting the link if anyone wants to check it out. And I hope that's ok. I promise you all it's fun and colorful.

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/120902/Far-Away-Land-RPG-Core-Rules?term=Far+Awa

I hope this is ok to do and thank you all for taking the time to read this. I really enjoy Far Away Land and it was it's similar look to Adventure Time and the D&D box sets that sold me to help Kickstart it. Anyways I personally can't wait for Adventure Time to be part of the D&D family.

Pibby

First Post
If the next published adventure is going to be Adventure Time-ish it's probably not going to take place in Forgotten Realms. There's probably going to be the Planescape excuse where people can jump in and out of the potential new world we'll get in a few months. And if that's so, then we can finally have adventures outside of Forgotten Realms instead of adapting adventures from other worlds into D&D's "default" setting.

No matter what though, this will most definately be the first published adventure that I'm going to buy and the Encounters modules that will come out of this should be nothing short of amazing.

The M'hael

First Post
I love Adventure Time because it is sort of silly and a little dumb and you are like "oh this is sort of funny" and then it's like POW! and hits you with some hugely deep moral and is really all about the relationships between the characters. It also makes a ton of DnD references. Check out the Dungeon Crawl episode for a good example of DnD references and the episode about the wierd clown doctor people (can't remember what it was called, maybe "laughter is the best medacine" or "My way")for a great example of how it can be sort of dumb and then all of a sudden there is a very deep moral and you are just like "wow". Also a lot of other CartoonNetwork shows are just dumb IMO like Regular Show for example so it makes the contrast more striking.
Also, I don't think Adventure Time will be in a DnD product. But, I do think that the next story/AP will maybe have strong faerie plane ties. That would go well with the Alice in Wonderland theme and the Adventure Time theme. I think it would be hard to fit that well into the Realms but maybe a setting neutral product.

Remove ads

Remove ads