• Welcome to this new upgrade of the site. We are now on a totally different software platform. Many things will be different, and bugs are expected. Certain areas (like downloads and reviews) will take longer to import. As always, please use the Meta Forum for site queries or bug reports. Note that we (the mods and admins) are also learning the new software.
  • The RSS feed for the news page has changed. Use this link. The old one displays the forums, not the news.

4E [Adventure] To Serve a Dragon: Act 1: A House is Not a Home (Judge: stonegod)

renau1g

Villager
The dragon Calamachia has hired the trio during their work in the Cannith creation forge.

---------------------------------------------

PCs:
Talos - Minotaur Fighter - http://leb.wikia.com/wiki/LEB:PC:Talos
Tock - Human Rogue - LEB:pC:Valintaquin Tock d'Tharashk (froggalpha) - ENWorld Living Eberron Wiki
Mal Voidsoul Genasi Warlord - LEB:pC:Anomaly (twilsemail) - ENWorld Living Eberron Wiki

Major Quests: TBD

Minor Quests: TBD

XP Awarded: 0 XP

Treasure Awarded: None

Date Started: 5/14/2011
Days Played:
Judge:

Rules of Play:

1. Please include your quick stats in your post on the first post, on each post in combat, and on the first post where your status has changed. I can't stress this enough!

2. In combat I will track your hitpoints and status effects but I'd like you to do the same in your quick stats. After all, I am not perfect.

3. If you are using a wishlist, and it gets updated, please let me know. If you are not using a wishlist, no worries.

4. I will rarely assign treasure to an individual. It is up to you to split things as fairly as you deem.

5. I will roll initiative for all. You do not need to wait for you're turn in initiative to post your actions. Enemies will go on one initiative.

I will resolve actions in initiative order. If someone posts after you've posted actions and it changes your action, I'll allow a change to the post (but must keep the same dice rolls)

If you tie for initiative with the enemy, higher initiative modifier wins.

6. I will not post full stats for enemies. All status effects will be posted. Auras will be posted once they first take noticeable affect. HP will be posted once bloody. Defenses will be revealed individually once hit. Some familiar monsters are modified.

7. If an sblock is labeled for someone other than you, I ask you not to read it.

8. If you do not post for 2 days, and we are in a skill challenge or combat encounter, I will post for you. I will only use At-Will Powers.

9. If you have an image you'd like to use for your token, please send me the file renau1g(at)gmail.com.

10. Please use Invisible Castle or the enworld dice roller for rolls
 
Last edited:

renau1g

Villager
The creature carries you in its massive claws as it flies in the sky, any thoughts of struggling are quickly put to rest when you look down and see the altitude of the mechanical creature.

"Hang on! It's going to be a long, rough ride." the creature says without hint of emotion.

As it turns out. The dragon is not joking. He heads out over the mountains and makes for the open water of what is likely the Kraken Bay in what turns out to be the beginning of an extremely long journey. For days, the dragon beats the air and soars over thermals, catching the wind in a glide where he can. The wind rushes by the faces of the two adventurers clutched in his claws as they try desperately to keep from freezing in the endless storm clouds that seem to follow the dragon wherever he flies.

Only a diffuse remnant of the sun's light makes it through the clouds, and the trip have long since lost their bearings, giving up all hope on exactly how many days its been. Mal counts twelve times that he's managed to fall asleep in the clutches of this enormous wyrm, and those have been due to sheer exhaustion.

Presently, the beast lowers its altitude below the cloud deck, and an island looms into view. It is an island, a fair sized one at first sight.

It is to the western edge of the island that the dragon takes them, approaching from the east, he passes the western shore and circles around low over the water. You had spotted the lights of a town or villiage as it passed, but it was dark now and you had little luck in seeing any details.

As the creature lands, it drops you roughly on the ground. Your stomachs growl in protest as it has been days since your last meal.

"We are near the small city of Piritar. If you need anything, get it now. We will leave shortly. Be here in two days time." Calamachia says coldly, taking back off to the sky.

[sblock=OOC]
[MENTION=79628]twilsemail[/MENTION], [MENTION=62300]raion[/MENTION], [MENTION=83014]ShadRS[/MENTION] - sorry for the delay, here we go.

If you need anything here's your chance.
[/sblock]
 

twilsemail

Villager
Mal spends as much of his time as possible trying to observe the world from this new perspective. He points out interesting cloud formations to Tock and Talos. At one point there is a pod of whales well below them and Mal trys to convey his excitement over seeing the bubble netting taking place below.

When they land he sits for a moment, pulling out a journal with the intent to sketch everything that he could remember. He looks up after just a moment and he realizes there are other duties. He sighs and says, "Two days? We'll see you then."

[sblock=OOC] No worries about the delay, R1, I'm just excited to play Mal again. I'm looking forward to seeing what you cooked up.

As always happens "I must spread the XP love around."

1. Stat block following.
3. I've got a wish list, but it's by no means set in stone.
9. I think you had one for Mal in the last adventure. I'm cool with that one if you've still got it.
10. Are you alright with the ENworld roller?

I wasn't able to retire Din before the start of this, so I'm still rolling in with the level 4 version of Mal.

[sblock=Anomaly]Anomaly—Male Genasi Warlord 4
Initiative: +2, Passive Perception: 14, Passive Insight: 14
AC: 22, Fort: 16, Reflex: 20, Will: 17 — Speed: 5
HP: 37/37, Bloodied: 19, Surge: 9, Surges left: 7/8
Action Points: 1/1, Second Wind: Not Used, Milestones: 0
Powers:
Commander’s Strike
Direct the Strike
Powerful Warning
Provocative Order
Orchestrated Offensive
Inspiring Word
Inspiring Word (2)
Void Assumption
Knight’s Move
Conditions:
http://leb.wikia.com/wiki/LEB:PC:Anomaly_(twilsemail))[/sblock][/sblock]
 

ShadRS

Villager
Talos watches the mechanical dragon fly away, and then turns in the direction of the town. "I'm so sodden hungry for a hot meal I could eat a salamander! If I ever see another piece of hardtack it will be too soon. Lets go stock up." He walks a few paces forward and then turns to look in the direction the dragon flew off.

"I suppose we should have asked what sort of situations we need to prepare for. Oh well." With that he pulls the lute from his back and begins to tune it as he slowly walks.


[sblock=Talos]Talos—Male Minotaur Fighter 4
Initiative: +3, Passive Insight: 15, Passive Perception: 17
AC: 20, Fort: 19, Reflex: 14, Will: 16 — Speed: 5
HP: 49/49, Bloodied: 24, Surge: 12, Surges left: 13/13
Action Points: 1/1, Second Wind: Not Used, Milestones: 0
Powers -
Knockdown Assault
Brash Strike
Pass Forward

Goring Charge
Bellringer
Bull Charge

Knee Breaker

LEB:pC:Talos (ShadRS) - ENWorld Living Eberron Wiki[/sblock]
 

raion

Villager
Tock lays sprawled on the ground face up for a bit as the dragon flies off, then leans up and speaks as if in response to Talos. "That.. was.. so Amazing!"
Then he looks at the others, "He didn't tell us what we're doing, did he?"

[sblock=Tock]Tock - Male Human Rogue (Thief) 5
Initiative: +7, Passive Perception: 19, Passive Insight: 19
AC: 20, Fort: 16, Ref: 21, Will: 16 -- Speed: 6
HP: 42/42, Bloodied: 21, Surge: 10, Surges left: 6/6
Action Points: 1, Second Wind: Not Used, Milestones: 0
Powers -
Tactician's Trick
Thug's Trick
Unbalancing Trick
Tumble
Backstab
Backstab(2)
Heroic Effort
Vanguard Short Sword Power
Dragonclaw Leather Armor Power

http://leb.wikia.com/wiki/LEB:PC:Valintaquin_Tock_d'Tharashk_(froggalpha) [/sblock]

[sblock=OOC]Looking forward to this :)[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Near the impromptu landing site, the group finds the remains of an old book. It may have once been a cookbook, but it has long since faded.

To... Serve... Dragon
OOC: Judge-aroni!
 
Last edited:

twilsemail

Villager
Mal nods, assuring himself he'd be able to sketch later. "Tock, did you see the arete on that mountain? Beautiful! I need to travel by dragon more often. Imagine..." He shakes himself out of his reverie and begins stretching his legs.

"We'll pick up what we need down in Piritar. Pick up a general range of supplies. We may have several missions before we can resupply." A heartbeat later he adds, under his breath, " Ours is not to reason why..."

When everyone apprears ready, the party can head to Piritar.

OOC: ready to get this stone rolling. We've got another PC en route he should be in the wiki in a day or two. I talked my flatmate into joining.
 

renau1g

Villager
OOC: Ok, just waiting on the newcomers and we'll roll it along. Note to you three, there was some XP from Cannith Caper for you so make sure to note it on your CS
 

Luinnar

Villager
OOC: Mythra is ready to gain ultimate power by cooperating with the dragon!

Stat wise he is a controller with summoner dailies. He can't do much damage outside of his summons, but he can inflict good "control". His summons helped soak up a good amount of damage in the last encounter (besides the Iron Cohort which r1 one-shotted! :eek:).

I hope he will be a useful asset to the party. :)


[sblock=Mythra]
Mythra Stelwart
Male Eladrin Wizard 6

Medium natural humanoid (Fey)
Initiative +8; Senses Passive Insight 20, Passive Perception 20
HP 46/46hp, Bloodied 23, Surge Value 11, Surges 9/9
AC 20; Fortitude 18, Reflex 19, Will 20
Saving Throws +5 vs Charm Effects
Speed 6
Action Points:1

Powers:
At will:
Chilling Cloud
Beguiling Strands

Ghost Sound
Light
Mage Hand
Prestidigitation

Encounter:
Fey Step
Illusory Obstacles
Hypnotic Pattern

Shield
Tome of Binding
Second Wind

Daily:
Summon Dretch
Summon Magma Beast
Summon Iron Cohort

Summoning Tome
Cloak of Translocation
[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

raion

Villager
Tock blinks and mutters "Arete..?" Then, louder, he continues "Yeah, it looked amazing. Think they make saddles for dragons? If we're going to make a habit of this I'd rather not plan on dangling."
He stands up, stretching, and looks towards the town.
 

renau1g

Villager
[sblock=Mythra]
[MENTION=44459]Luinnar[/MENTION]

As you are returning to the Tower's Shard from your latest endeavor for Morgrave and its enigmatic Professor, a hobgoblin approaches you. He details an offer for you from an unnamed benefactor. You will be well compensated in both gold and magical items for your assistance in clearing out a set of caverns for his clan. You come to an accord and the hobgoblin asks you to meet him at the docks that night. He has a small skiff waiting, saying you'll meet up with the main vessel shortly. You notice another half-orc on the vessel in addition to your benefactor. Like you he seems well outfitted. After a half-hour or so, when the City of Towers is but a small glimmer in the horizon, a dark shadow descends on the ship, scooping you and the half-orc up in steel talons, and taking you high into the sky. Any thoughts of struggling against its grip are immediately placated by the sight of the ground far below you. After some indeterminate amount of time the sun rises and you realize that the creature holding you is some sort of dragon construct, something you've never even heard of before. Later that evening it nears a large island and lands in a clearing, dropping you off rather roughly. (move to sblock "Mythra/Varykk")[/sblock]

[sblock=Varykk]
[MENTION=6676626]TardiS[/MENTION]

As you are heading to the Tower's Shard, the place known throughout the lands as a gathering place of heroes, adventurers, and treasure seekers, a hobgoblin approaches you. He details an offer for you from an unnamed benefactor. You will be well compensated in both gold and magical items for your assistance in clearing out a set of caverns for his clan. You come to an accord and the hobgoblin asks you to meet him at the docks that night. He has a small skiff waiting, saying you'll meet up with the main vessel shortly. You notice an eladrin on the vessel in addition to your benefactor. Like you he seems well outfitted. After a half-hour or so, when the City of Towers is but a small glimmer in the horizon, a dark shadow descends on the ship, scooping you and the eladrin up in steel talons, and taking you high into the sky. Any thoughts of struggling against its grip are immediately placated by the sight of the ground far below you. After some indeterminate amount of time the sun rises and you realize that the creature holding you is some sort of dragon construct, something you've never even heard of before. Later that evening it nears a large island and lands in a clearing, dropping you off rather roughly. (move to sblock "Mythra/Varykk")[/sblock]

[sblock=Mythra/Varykk]
"Greetings mortals, I am Calmachia. My agent hired you and you will join some others to complete the task that was detailed for you. The caverns are needed for my tasks and you will more than fairly compensated for your efforts. You can leave now or wait for them. I have to retrieve a method to travel with all of you. I will return shortly" it states coolly, apparently not waiting for your answer as it takes off into the evening sky. Before you have much time to discuss or collect your wits you notice a trio heading your way, a minotaur, a genasi and a human.[/sblock]


[sblock=Trio]
[MENTION=79628]twilsemail[/MENTION], [MENTION=62300]raion[/MENTION], [MENTION=83014]ShadRS[/MENTION]

You complete any purchases required and return to the clearing as instructed. You happen to see the dragon's shadow as it curiously departs the area. In said clearing you see a bedraggled half-orc and eladrin.
[/sblock]
 

Luinnar

Villager
Oh joy, more humans and part humans and demi-humans. Mythra says dryly, glancing at the surrounding people. He was happy to note that a dwarf was not among the group, that at least was something.

Are you perhaps the jailors? I assume this is a prison of some sort, as I was kidnapped and taken hostage and lied to without my consent by what appeared to be a Warforged Dragon. You may clap me in irons now. I assure you that before the day is out this whole place will be burned to the ground and you all will be begging for mercy however, Mythra promises.
 

twilsemail

Villager
Mal leans over to Talos and stage whispers. "You're sure you don't eat people?"

The look of disgust and the firm head shaking from Talon are enough to make Mal chuckle. The Genasi looks the mage up and down and frowns. "Mage? Damn... Once... Just once..." The wishing peters off as he collects himself.

"Calmachia drop you off then? You get two choices, same as the rest of us. Do the job or enjoy life in the small village yonder until the dragon eats you. And he does eat people."

He sighs and asks, "Can you at least hurl a fireball in a straight line?" The question is asked in a way to imply that the last one could not.

OOC: Hi there Luinnar. Long time no see. :p
 

Luinnar

Villager
OOC: Hi twilsemail! Last time I saw you was on the L4W boards, it seemes like ages ago.

I think it was a whole hour! :p


I am a summoner, I am not a Sorcerer, a Pyromancer, a Mage, or a swordmage/wizard hybrid. I am a real wizard. Not one who only cares about bangs and explosions and pyrotechnics. Mythra says stuffily.

I am not afraid of your threats. My arcane powers could take on this "dragon" you speak of as easily as swatting away a fly.
 

twilsemail

Villager
Mal leans patiently on his staff as the Eladrin rants. "That is between you and the dragon, seems to me. I wasn't threatening you. I was stating a fact. He's not a gentle beast."

"Now, then. Kidnapped? I was under the impression that Calmachia was recruiting peoples of a mercenary persuasion. That's usually done with..."

"I'm being rude... Introductions are in order. Names make the posturing easier, don't you think?"

He gestures to the minotaur with his glaive, "To my right is Talos. Bard and brute extraordinaire."

Next to the rake, "Tock. Son of a long time companion and a rogue few can match."

He brings the glaive back and leans on it once more. The feathers dangling beneath the sharpened jawbone dance in the wisp of darkness rolling off his head "I... I am the Anomaly. Most call me Mal these days. I... I read a lot."

With a smile he asks, "And you, Master Summoner? Who are you and your friend? And how on earth did an Eladrin come to travel with a scion of House Tharashk?"
 
Last edited:

TardiS

Villager
Varykk sits down on a nearby rock. He rifles through his bag finding a rag and some oils, removes his armor and begins to clean it. Once he has finished removing the dust and dirt from his journey he begins to polish the coat of arms of House Tharashk that is etched into the hide.

"I came here by choice." He says smiling "I suppose that he seems a bit less sure of how he came to be on that ship."

He puts his rags and oils away and refastens his armor, throws his pack over his shoulder and stands back up.

"I take it you are the fine folks it was suggested that we wait for? Assuming that's the case my name is Varykk Deward, I'm a Ranger of House Tharashk and I'm pleased to meet you all."
 
Last edited:

ShadRS

Villager
"Well met Varykk! Pleasure to have you with us. And well me to you too mister wizard. Sorry to hear you've been press ganged." He looks thoughtful for a moment. "I was once press ganged, the experience helped turn me into the minotaur you see today. I hope yours goes as well." With that Talos gives a slight bow to the pair. He walks over to a nearby rock, leans against it and begins to tune his lute, badly.
 

Luinnar

Villager
More bards, great. Mythra thinks to himself. He hated bard just about as much as...just about as much as everything else he hated, which was a lot of things.

My name is Mythra Stelwart. If you know anything about the arcane you would have heard of me...

And I do not know anyone here. The dragon picked up me and this half-human on the boat we were on...

I was promised a reward for services.... Mythra says, looking around, doubtful that the dragon could have anything useful to him.
 

twilsemail

Villager
Mal strides toward Barykk and offers a hand. If it's taken, he shakes with a firm grip. "It's a pleasure to meet you Varykk. I've done plenty of work with your house in the past. I was a Captain in the Lion's Roar until I Reti.... er... changed professions." Mal's superstition about the word "retired" gets the best of him again.

He turns to Mythra and addresses him. He'd offer a hand, but he's reaconably certain that Mythra wouldn't touch another person were he paid to do it. "A pleasure, I'm sure, Magus Stelwart. We were all promised some coin for our efforts. I'm sure a dragon can deliver on that front. Can we discuss the upcoming mission or should we establish your superiority over the island itself as well?" He tone is genial. He's assumed Mythra is posturing and doesn't mind admitting that a fireball is generally more dangerous than a pointy stick. While waiting for an answer he begins loosening the cap of a new waxed-leather scrollcase.
 
Last edited:

Advertisement

Top